PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 am

Title: Steven Fletcher, Conservative MP, backs assisted suicide
Category: Political
Posted By: Curtman
Date: 2013-09-25 04:41:39
Canadian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 am

Steven Fletcher Steven Fletcher:
I'm a disabled Canadian, I don't want someone telling me what I can or cannot do. Actually, it doesn't even matter if I'm disabled. If was an able-bodied Canadian, I wouldn't want people to tell me what I can or cannot do."

R=UP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 am

I really hope we mature as a society before I get too old.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 am

R=UP Steven!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:54 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
R=UP Steven!

I wonder if this counts as his rebellion after being demoted from minister to back-bencher. I hope it was a from-the-heart comment though, and I'll give credit where it's due. For once I think my MP is right about something.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 pm

The Bible-thumpers who keep wanting to bring back the abortion debate will very definitely vote "NEIN" against assisted suicide. This will require a different parliament to go anywhere. Kudos to Dr. Lowe for bringing this important subject to the forefront, before he died.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
The Bible-thumpers who keep wanting to bring back the abortion debate will very definitely vote "NEIN" against assisted suicide. This will require a different parliament to go anywhere. Kudos to Dr. Lowe for bringing this important subject to the forefront, before he died.

So do a private members bill and push it through with a free vote like they did with the gun registry.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:12 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I really hope we mature as a society before I get too old.

Amen to that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:38 pm

I support Steven Fletcher. I also hope that if what he wants is ever legalized that we also have a strong procedural system and legal remedy in place to prevent any involuntary instances of euthanasia from occurring as has happened to many times in places like Holland. If we don't organize this thing correctly then this right of choice can rapidly descend into an atrocity.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I support Steven Fletcher. I also hope that if what he wants is ever legalized that we also have a strong procedural system and legal remedy in place to prevent any involuntary instances of euthanasia from occurring as has happened to many times in places like Holland. If we don't organize this thing correctly then this right of choice can rapidly descend into an atrocity.

Yes, I would like to sort my affairs on my own time and then sail out of town on the Brompton Cocktail Express if it comes to that.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Thanos Thanos:

Yes, I would like to sort my affairs on my own time and then sail out of town on the Brompton Cocktail Express if it comes to that.

Better yet, go to a bank you hate and take out a loan on a new Ferrari and then run it out at 200mph into a bridge abutment. :wink:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:31 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Better yet, go to a bank you hate and take out a loan on a new Ferrari and then run it out at 200mph into a bridge abutment. :wink:

Naaa too much to chance with a car, may take someone with by accident. Besides your estate would have to pay the loan it would get messy.

All joking aside there would have to be so meny safe guards. We have all met the "I have a hang nail my life is over" people. Half of them would be in the line so fast it would be crazy. On the other hand the last few weeks of my grandfathers life with cancer was so painful there was no limit on his pain meds, no worries about adiction. Turns out it was found early enough but he was taking care of my grandmother, he didn't want to lose the last bit when she still knew him. So he did nothing about it. I vote we all go like my great-aunt she was in her 90's active and very busy. SHe was getting ready for a do put on her coat and fell over dead.

I dont know I can understand not wanting to spend your last days so out of it on pain meds that you didn't know your own name but there would be so meny other problems.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:31 am

$1:
Better yet, go to a bank you hate and take out a loan on a new Ferrari and then run it out at 200mph into a bridge abutment.

Dude that was my next to last major case as an MP in the Military. Decaped his self, near instant kill. I say near instant because he had to have seen it coming. He headed strait for the brige support no skid markes no indication that the breaks were ever applied. No suicide note either. One of those things that still makes me go WTF was going on that made him do it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:03 am

$1:
So do a private members bill and push it through with a free vote like they did with the gun registry.

Parliament gets prorogued so often that it would be a miracle if a private member's bill actually survived a session. You can't sneak it through attached to an omnibus monstrosity.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:12 am

housewife housewife:
All joking aside there would have to be so meny safe guards. We have all met the "I have a hang nail my life is over" people. Half of them would be in the line so fast it would be crazy. On the other hand the last few weeks of my grandfathers life with cancer was so painful there was no limit on his pain meds, no worries about adiction. Turns out it was found early enough but he was taking care of my grandmother, he didn't want to lose the last bit when she still knew him. So he did nothing about it. I vote we all go like my great-aunt she was in her 90's active and very busy. SHe was getting ready for a do put on her coat and fell over dead.

I dont know I can understand not wanting to spend your last days so out of it on pain meds that you didn't know your own name but there would be so meny other problems.

If someone with a "hangnail" wants to commit suicide, why do we want to stop them? It's not as if we do much to help them deal with the "hangnail." Preventing their suicide seems more about making us feel virtuous or righteous vs giving a shit for what they're feeling. And many with "hangnails" manage to kill themselves, doctors prescription or not.

The main problem with what Dr Lowe was advocating is that the person has to be of sound mind and physically able to take the lethal dose, it's just prescribed by a doctor. There are people with sound minds who are locked in their bodies or otherwise not physically able to take the drugs themselves. Shouldn't they get actual help from somebody? And what if they're not of sound mind, but wrote a living will while they were - shouldn't that be honored?

I'd like to hear more about the supposed problems with euthanasia in Holland - were people really put to death who didn't want to be? That's the only safeguard we need, making sure nobody is killed who doesn't want to be. People who want to die, for whatever reason, should be allowed to.

Just read up on the supposed "problems" with Dutch euthanasia - "euthanasia without specific request" Ie the doctor actively kills the patient without the patient requesting it. Is that really any worse than letting them starve to death as we do? I doubt there are people being killed while kicking and screaming that they don't want to be.