bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:34 am

DrCaleb wrote:
I love it when you make up what you think I say, then get frothing mad at the stuff you made up.

You never disappoint me!

A rabies test is long overdue. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:38 am

raydan wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
I love it when you make up what you think I say, then get frothing mad at the stuff you made up.

You never disappoint me!

Since FD went all Muslim, all the time, somebody has to keep up with the anti-prog leftard raving. They're not going to rave at themselves. Give him a break, he's doing the best he can.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:40 am

jj2424 wrote:
You still here? Didn't you quit last year?

Huh?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:10 pm

I think the Wildrose is being sneaky like a fox! Since they never have a chance at winning an election, they slowly defect to the PCs. Once entrenched in the party, they will use their new found authority to affect change from within!

Hail Hydra!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Sounds familiar.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:28 pm

And both those men pictured, despite their own religious sentiments, fought like hell to keep the so-cons under control. The reality of governing demands it. Abortions rights intact? Check. Same-sex marriage legalized? Check. Public school system kept secular? Check. Welfare and unemployment insurance systems still intact? Check. Troops on the street? Nope.

It'd be nice if one day the Canadian left could keep their own extremists in line as effectively as the Canadian right has. Maybe one day the NDP might actually put their big-boy pants on and be able to successfully convince a plurality of voters that they really aren't going to turn the management of the country over to the Marxist students lesbian diversity pro-Hezbollah public sector union collective that their politics of the last fifty years would indicate that they're almost entirely beholden to. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm

jj2424 wrote:
Lemmy wrote:
jj2424 wrote:
So in your books no opposition is better? As in NDP or the Libtards. Yet you will be the first one screaming about the lack of democracy in Alberta and the one party state. You leftards have got your head shoved up your arse so far you can lick your tonsils.

Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you any worse advice.

You still here? Didn't you quit last year?

Why do you care, you live in Arizona, you wannabe Canadian.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:44 pm

bootlegga wrote:

Why do you care, you live in Arizona, you wannabe Canadian.

My money and my business are still in Alberta paying taxes to support your lard assed family...BTW who the fuck would your wife's father in-law be? :P

current-events-f59/phoney-soldier-at-remembrance-day-t110732-15.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:14 am

raydan wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

You never disappoint me!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanos wrote:
And both those men pictured, despite their own religious sentiments, fought like hell to keep the so-cons under control. The reality of governing demands it. Abortions rights intact? Check. Same-sex marriage legalized? Check. Public school system kept secular? Check. Welfare and unemployment insurance systems still intact? Check. Troops on the street? Nope.

It'd be nice if one day the Canadian left could keep their own extremists in line as effectively as the Canadian right has. Maybe one day the NDP might actually put their big-boy pants on and be able to successfully convince a plurality of voters that they really aren't going to turn the management of the country over to the Marxist students lesbian diversity pro-Hezbollah public sector union collective that their politics of the last fifty years would indicate that they're almost entirely beholden to. :lol:

Manning and Harper also illustrate just how tough the balancing act between pleasing your base and appealing to the broader public can be. In his book The New Canada, Preston Manning spent a lot of time debunking the idea that the Reform party wanted to dismantle the social safety net, justifying public spending cuts rather by pointing out that our ability to pay for them was in jeopardy with the rampant deficits and debt. He also alluded to the efforts he had to make to persuade the party grassroots not to nominate certain candidates, like one Vancouver-area radio host who the party's opponents could use to tar the entire movement.

Unfortunately, as he alluded in his memoirs Think Big: My Life In Politics, Manning pointed out the length to which the Liberals went to smear the Reform Alliance as all being cross-burning bigots who wanted to turn Canada into a radical Bible Belt with snow. He wasn't helped by the outbursts that some of his more foolish members made, and the damage control Manning and his supporters ended up having to do.

Manning also commented on the distrust of the grassroots Stephen Harper developed, and now unfortunately Harper has arguably gone too far the other way by centralizing as much power as he has in the PMO. One of the main reasons Brent Rathgeber left the Conservative party was because of how much interference the hyper-partisan "kids in short pants" tried to impose on the party caucus, even as caucus's ability to keep the PM and his Cabinet in line was being even more undermined than it already was.

Manning, from everything I've seen, tried to balance things between the base and the grassroots, and the larger public and the leadership's efforts to bring the base onside, but Harper has gone all in on trying to control everything from the top down. It shows how tough keeping your base motivated and appealing to the larger public can be, as is the balance between getting the base to buy into what you're saying and keeping your ear open to what they themselves are saying.

Of course, one of the fundamental differences between the Reform Alliance's and the Wildrose Alliance is that right from the start Manning was trying to blunt any accusations that Reform wanted to imitate the American evangelical movement, while also capitalizing on the issues that most pissed Albertans and many other Western Canadians off. In my view, the majority of the Wildrose's support has come from people fed up with things like the powerlines issue and Redford's "sky palace", which drove a lot of Albertans nuts. Now that Prentice is seen as dealing with a lot of these problems, more people are comfortable going back to them...and the decision is only hastened by bozo eruptions like the "lake of fire" comments. Smith and her supporters only tried to address this problem after the fact, but the damage has already been done in many respects.

Even NDP-supporting Alberta blogger David Climenhaga noted that, although we're conservative, most of us are comfortable with some government intervention in the economy and are fine with taking a "live and let live" approach to things like sexual orientation and reproduction. I've spoken to family members who wouldn't support the Liberals or the NDP if you put a gun to their heads, but they couldn't stomach voting for the Wildrose because of the homophobia they came to associate the party with.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:09 pm

That's populism for you though. Out of all the 'isms' out there it's the one most likely to be hijacked by embarrassing troublemakers and demagogues, especially in parties that allow their philosophies to be generated from the grassroots (I really detest that word and all it stands for) up instead of being developed by party leaders and managers. Manning had his own problems with them, Harper refuses to tolerate any of their nonsense at all, and Smith seems to now be in some kind of fight to save the WR from them.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
I think the Wildrose is being sneaky like a fox! Since they never have a chance at winning an election, they slowly defect to the PCs. Once entrenched in the party, they will use their new found authority to affect change from within!

Hail Hydra!

Do I understand that to mean the US Sneaky Political Mole Tactic?? I thought only the US system allowed that lol.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:50 pm

jj2424 wrote:
Best opposition party Alberta had in 50 years. Now we can go back to the PCs running wild and our opposition goes back to the useless paycheque collecting NDP and Libtards who wave a finger at them .

ROTFL

Oh, were you serious?

Here's an example of the "best opposition party in 50 years";

current-events-f59/wildrose-turncoat-kerry-towle-upset-over-photos-of-smashed-m-t110886.html

Nothing like a little bullying and intimidation, what's next, Mafia pay-offs? :P

Danielle Smith accusing Joe Anglin of recording caucus meetings was another great example too;

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edm ... story.html

Even better, letting your donors vet press releases that are critical of their environmental efforts;

http://www.inews880.com/2014/11/24/form ... e-company/

As DrC said, if the WRP is the best we've had, it's a pretty low standard!