Title: 'Free-to-play' games can have real costs, in money and privacy
Category: Tech
Posted By: Regina
Date: 2014-11-26 07:47:52
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:56 pm

The internet has evolved to the point where if you are getting something for free, then it's you who are the product.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:25 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
The internet has evolved to the point where if you are getting something for free, then it's you who are the product.

A totally brilliant observation! PDT_Armataz_01_37

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:28 pm

South Park did this issue a couple of weeks ago. Seems about the same as a few years back before sensible data packages came along when a cellular service would send someone a bill for $8K after their teenager got addicted to texting and went ape with a couple hundred messages a day.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:15 pm

I actually work for the company mentioned in the article and I'm shocked they associate us with companies using private informations for wrongdoings. And it's the CBC writing those things about a canadian company ? :evil:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:23 pm

By the way, the "Connect to Facebook" in the game is for using a common account because the game can be played on Android, iOS and PC. Yes, it can also share your progress if you accept to. But, that's not at all what is implied in this article. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 pm

"Freedom" is a Russian apk which helps show the worthlessness of freemium games. Though nowadays I prefer Lucky Patcher.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 pm

I've played a few 'freemium' games on occasion, but I NEVER link my social networks to them, nor do I download them if they have a long list of permissions.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:01 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I don't agree for all cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:18 am

Some of those freemium games are addictive. Outside of Civilization, or the new Sid Meir game or a Blizzard game. Those I pay for and play intensively. I find that some of the freemium games quite good, so what if they suck up a little data, instead of charging my $17.00 a month after paying $70 for the game. Nowadays, I really don't spend money on very much. The necessities I need. Taxes, the rest I test. Books, music, apps. Every 3 years, I will buy a new tablet/iPhone and computer( to play the latest games I buy), but that's it. Then I recondition all my equipment and give it away (I don't even give it to my wife, I also buy here new equipment every 3 years).

All this to say, that its all ready very expensive to be able to access the internet with equipment powerful enough to be usable. So that fact that there is free games is sort of normal.