canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:49 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

No, there's a big difference. When transit workers strike, factories go idle for lack of employees and people cant get groceries or go to doctor's appointments. When teachers strike, there's the inconvenience of finding care for your kids while you're at work, but people deal with that all summer anyway.

And when millions of kids end up out of school, what happens to the economy then?

The economic impact of a teacher strike is massive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:28 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

And when millions of kids end up out of school, what happens to the economy then?
. What you mean when they're adults 20 years later? I'm guessing nothing

$1:

Is it? Please demonstrate

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:31 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Lemmy Lemmy:
Too early to say yet. The last highschool "strike" in Ontario was in September of 1997 and that absolutely did do lots to improve the quality of education.

That strike was completely ineffective and illegal. So much so, the teachers bowed down and went back to work after a couple weeks, taking the concessions.Some pouted for years, refusing to do any activities with the kids.

Lemmy Lemmy:
This one? Not sure yet. If Wynne and Sandals are going to remove class size limits and this strike averts that, it WILL preserve quality of education. We'll see how it shakes down.

The quality of education at 25 or 30-35 students is negligible. The teachers who are teaching today and the politicians at Queens Park grew up in an era with class sizes in the mid to low 30's.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Sad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:07 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

. What you mean when they're adults 20 years later? I'm guessing nothing

$1:

Is it? Please demonstrate

2 million kids have parents.

Those parents need to work.

When strikes like this happen, childcare is very hard, if not impossible to find. I've been through it multiple times.

Parents end up having to take days off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Lemmy Lemmy:
Too early to say yet. The last highschool "strike" in Ontario was in September of 1997 and that absolutely did do lots to improve the quality of education.

That strike was completely ineffective and illegal. So much so, the teachers bowed down and went back to work after a couple weeks, taking the concessions.Some pouted for years, refusing to do any activities with the kids.

Lemmy Lemmy:
This one? Not sure yet. If Wynne and Sandals are going to remove class size limits and this strike averts that, it WILL preserve quality of education. We'll see how it shakes down.

The quality of education at 25 or 30-35 students is negligible. The teachers who are teaching today and the politicians at Queens Park grew up in an era with class sizes in the mid to low 30's.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Sad.

Normally I'd ask you to prove that I'm in fact wrong, but since I don't respect anything you have to say, it would be a waste of time for both of us.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:01 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
I love it! Teachers will give up nearly $6000ea in salary and have accomplished nothing. When will these unions learn?

Never. That's why they are obsolete, and don't have a place anymore. Teachers unions only stick it to everyone because they can. They've gotten so big and so powerful, and completely lost the focus of why they were created in the first place.

They cry about not having anything and wanting more for their members, yet they pony up hundreds of thousands of dollars for attack ads during an election campaign to smear the offending party/candidate of the day.

And I also put the other half of the blame on the Teachers. They blindly follow their unions like sheep off a cliff. They have it so good, it's disgusting, and yet they have the gall to ask for more. Soldiers could be so lucky to have what teachers have, and last I checked, teachers aren't putting on fatigues and protecting our country no matter the cost.

My message to the teachers and their unions: SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP.

I went through a teacher's strike in 1997 that lasted two weeks. They 'did it for the students', and yet a lot of my term work for that semester counted for nothing because of what transpired. When your in Grade 12 and gearing up for post-secondary education, it's a massive blow. I genuinely feel for the students, because time and again, they are the pawns being pushed around, and the ones that pay the price for all of this crap.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:32 pm

They have ot so goid? They make less than just about any other job that requires a masters degree. I'd like to see you "suck up" a 5-yr wage freeze, in addition to a laundry list of other bullshit items that local school boards are trying to force on them.

Oh and here's another piece of info thats undoubtedly a revelation to you all : you know all the school sports and school plays and choirs and glee clubs etc? Do you know that all of those are done by teachers outside of their regular teaching duties on a strictly volunteer basis and they're not paid extra? That's right for all these generations, supposedly greedy selfish teachers have been putting us through extra curricular activities for free.

While I don't agree with everything in the teachers position they, like all othe public employees are an easy target for scapegoating.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:38 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
They have ot so goid? They make less than just about any other job that requires a masters degree. I'd like to see you "suck up" a 5-yr wage freeze, in addition to a laundry list of other bullshit items that local school boards are trying to force on them.

So unprepared.

Teachers don't require a masters degree. While a masters does move you higher on the grid, it's not required. I have 4 friends who are teachers. 2 in high school, 2 in elementary. Neither of them have a masters degree.

Second, they had no wage freeze. That's false. The amounts at the various grid levels were frozen but teachers still moved up the grid based on experience an extra education (if applicable).

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Oh and here's another piece of info thats undoubtedly a revelation to you all : you know all the school sports and school plays and choirs and glee clubs etc? Do you know that all of those are done by teachers outside of their regular teaching duties on a strictly volunteer basis and they're not paid extra? That's right for all these generations, supposedly greedy selfish teachers have been putting us through extra curricular activities for free.

Wow, good for them! It doesn't make them special. It doesn't make them any more special than the men and women all over Ontario volunteering their time for sports and clubs outside of their workplace. I spent close to 300 hours last year coaching hockey which took me all over the Province.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
While I don't agree with everything in the teachers position they, like all othe public employees are an easy target for scapegoating.

Because they use children as pawns. The only people that suffer are the kids and the public is tired of hearing the same old bullshit about "it's all about the kids". Be honest with us. Cut the crap. Tell us you think you deserve a raise and that you want more teachers to fill the ranks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Like in BC last year.
Good luck. I feel for Ontarions. That strike here was a bitch last year...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:38 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
you know all the school sports and school plays and choirs and glee clubs etc? Do you know that all of those are done by teachers outside of their regular teaching duties on a strictly volunteer basis and they're not paid extra?

The keyword here being 'volunteer'. I've volunteered my time in various places over the years, not expecting anything in turn because that is what volunteering is about. You make it sound like we should all be bleeding hearts towards people giving their own time of their own free will? Come on now, get off it.

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Because they use children as pawns. The only people that suffer are the kids and the public is tired of hearing the same old bullshit about "it's all about the kids". Be honest with us. Cut the crap. Tell us you think you deserve a raise and that you want more teachers to fill the ranks.

Exactly. They don't give a crap about the students whatsoever. If they did, they would work out this crap over the summer, rather than screwing the students, which is always the case. But, I digress. I guess that cottages and beaches are more important than students and education. Teachers have interesting priorities these days.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:11 pm

The public service shouldn't be allowed to unionize, or at least not be allowed to strike.
Let's get one thing straight first. The govt is not their boss, WE are. Unlike a private sector strike, public sector strikes hold the taxpayer hostage. And before BF comes in with his usual response about public sector employees are taxpayers too, let's just straighten that out. Public sector salaries wouldn't exist without the tax base from the private sector. The public sector may indeed pay taxes, but A)it's money that was already shelled out in taxes by the private sector and B)public sector salaries could not be maintained for any length of time without the large infusion of private sector taxes.

But once again, it's important to point out that this strike is the result of a union helping elect a govt with the full knowledge that said govt was not going to be dishing out any increases until 2017-18.
That being said however, about 90% of the management positions have seen a pay increase since then.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:14 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Normally I'd ask you to prove that I'm in fact wrong, but since I don't respect anything you have to say, it would be a waste of time for both of us.

Yep. Ditto.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Psst Research US State of WI 2011 and borrow a Little Badger Act 10. No union challenge's to that law have withstood the powerful Act 10. Citizens just wear earplugs when the what ever remains of Public Unions piss and moan and they don't listen to the Media most important. If ya the parent of the adult union member, take ya belt off and swat them hard till they get there brains back in order.

Last edited by Vamp018 on Mon May 25, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Vamp018 Vamp018:
Psst Research US State of WI 2011 and borrow a Little Badger Act 10.

Carrot vegetable moving to a reliance, TX. Ha - ha lol hope those mofos don't come near that border. Pigeon welcome carrot. loL

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Vamp018 Vamp018:
Psst Research US State of WI 2011 and borrow a Little Badger Act 10.

Carrot vegetable moving to a reliance, TX. Ha - ha lol hope those mofos don't come near that border. Pigeon welcome carrot. loL

Well your US Geography is messed up a bit eh?? I said WI (Wisconsin) not Texas. By the way Texas is Anti Teacher's union and Public Employee's ie RTW and a Beef State where as WI is the Cheese-head/Dairy-land state. You must like losing money out of your pocket to pay for your employment, I call that being a slave to your upper boss's of the Union's who's families mouths you pay to feed.