PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:05 am

Title: US latest F-35 stealth jet is beaten in dogfight by F-16 from 1970s
Category: Military
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2015-07-01 00:22:57

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:05 am

I read this elsewhere and that article aslo mentioned that the F-35 was unloaded against the F-16 that was carry a pair of CFT's.

This plane is SO worth the $150m unit price. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:08 am

And it can't use it's most versailte weapon at least until 2022.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/f-35-cant-carry-its-most-versatile-weapon-until-at-leas-1688616599

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 am

The F-35 is a turd sandwich.

And I'm happy for Canada that you folks are backing out of the deal to purchase these flying sh*tboxes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e22036016/

But it's a mistake that the RCAF is proposing to not have any fighters at all. That inevitably means that the USA will be doing sovereignty patrols for Canada and if we're responsible for your sovereignty then you are no longer sovereign.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:30 am

Depends. How much can we charge for these patrols? Maybe we can trade patrols for The Yukon.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:35 am

DanSC DanSC:
Depends. How much can we charge for these patrols? Maybe we can trade patrols for The Yukon.

Exactly. If we're handling Canada's defense in the Arctic then that pretty much ends our border dispute in the Arctic Ocean and in the Northwest Passage, doesn't it?

Because it's not like the US Navy is going to care if the US Navy uses the NW Passage and it's not like our Coast Guard is going to stop any of our oil companies from drilling in whatever part of the Arctic Ocean they care to exploit. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:15 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

But it's a mistake that the RCAF is proposing to not have any fighters at all. That inevitably means that the USA will be doing sovereignty patrols for Canada and if we're responsible for your sovereignty then you are no longer sovereign.

AFAIK the RCAF is NOT proposing that.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:47 am

The F-16 is a proven Workhorse, maybe for now they should have gone that route instead.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:58 am

FinnyTheDog FinnyTheDog:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

AFAIK the RCAF is NOT proposing that.

You're right. But it is a movement in Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-de ... e19503129/

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:19 pm

DanSC DanSC:

lol. During the financial system breakdown of 2008, some of us suggested trading Alaska for a portion of your federal debt.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:45 pm

I said before, we should pull as many CF-18 aircraft as we can out of storage, ensure the upgrades are applied, establish 2 more combat squadrons. A bunch more stuff. The current fighters are the last generation that will have pilots on-board. Next generation will be unmanned. Develop that next leading edge fighter. Skip over fifth generation fighters.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:51 pm

I still think we should opt for 192 Eurofighters to start, organised into 5 combat squadrons; Comox, Cold Lake, Yellowknife, Bonnyville, and Gander, as well as either one large or two small training squadrons located in Cold Lake & Bonnyville. Squadrons on the coasts would serve a primarily coastal interdiction & air intercept role, while the inland squadrons would focus on CAS and Air Superiority roles.

Over the long term I'd like to augment the inland squadrons with a squadron each of Warthogs to serve the CAS, leaving the Euro to be primarily air superiority. For the coastal squadrons I'd like to have a dedicated interceptor aircraft for bombers & long range naval strikes, while the Eurofighters would again be dedicated to coastal air superiority and local naval interdiction.

All in all we'd end up just shy of 400 combat jets by 2030, 240 of which would be frontline, and the rest would be training. Certainly not the numbers the Chinks or the Ruskies rock, but certainly enough to defend ourselves if they come knocking.

Last edited by Canadian_Mind on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:52 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
I still think we should opt for 192 Eurofighters to start, organised into 5 combat squadrons; Comox, Cold Lake, Yellowknife, Bonnyville, and Gander, as well as either one large or two small training squadrons located in Cold Lake & Bonnyville. Squadrons on the coasts would serve a primarily coastal interdiction & air intercept role, while the inland squadrons would focus on CAS and Air Superiority roles. Over the long term I'd like to augment the inland forces with Warthogs to serve the CAS, leaving the Euro to be primarily air superiority. For the coastal squadrons I'd like to have a dedicated interceptor aircraft for bombers & long range naval strikes, while the Eurofighters would again be dedicated to coastal air superiority and naval interdiction.

You should also consider outfitting your carrier squadrons with the Euro.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:57 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
I still think we should opt for 192 Eurofighters to start, organised into 5 combat squadrons; Comox, Cold Lake, Yellowknife, Bonnyville, and Gander, as well as either one large or two small training squadrons located in Cold Lake & Bonnyville. Squadrons on the coasts would serve a primarily coastal interdiction & air intercept role, while the inland squadrons would focus on CAS and Air Superiority roles. Over the long term I'd like to augment the inland forces with Warthogs to serve the CAS, leaving the Euro to be primarily air superiority. For the coastal squadrons I'd like to have a dedicated interceptor aircraft for bombers & long range naval strikes, while the Eurofighters would again be dedicated to coastal air superiority and naval interdiction.

You should also consider outfitting your carrier squadrons with the Euro.

Sorry I edited my post.

I don't believe Canada needs carriers at this time. So long as we possess and maintain an ability to immediately defend ourselves, and have the capacity to strike the enemy logistics, we can effectively neutralise the numbers advantage of our anticipated enemies.

I want to start with the Euro because it's a good all-round platform. we can build up from there after.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:00 pm

I was being sarcastic. You don't need Eurofighters for non-existent carrier squadrons and you really don't need Eurofighters or F-35's either.

The F-18 is a good platform for Canada and updating to a newer version is a prudent move.