Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 pm

Nope, the blue pill fixed my problem. :oops:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 am

BRAH BRAH:
If Kenney unites the two parties the NDP is done if he doesn't she might get a second term because to some voters it's safer to stick with what you know instead of a cluster fuck where you have no idea how it might turn out.

I think a united conservative party isn't a slam dunk - it will depend on how conservative they are. If they go too right, like Kenney and the Wildrose are already, then they risk losing young voters, who tend to be a little more progressive and urban.

To form a government in Alberta you need two of the three power blocs - Calgary, Edmonton and Rural voters - a united conservative party will get the rural vote no doubt, but Calgary is more progressive than it used to be and the united right will need to be careful about their social conservative views to win there. Those same views are why the Wildrose have only one urban seat in the entire province - just one bozo eruption and the united right will fail too.

The only consolation is that the NDP likely won't win either, because they'll only have Edmonton and maybe a few seats in Calgary, so we might wind up with a minority government situation.

If the Liberals or Alberta Party can scoop up enough disaffected progressive conservative voters, they might wind up holding all the power if a minority situation occurs.

Whatever happens, it's going to be an interesting couple years in Alberta.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:11 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
BRAH BRAH:
If Kenney unites the two parties the NDP is done if he doesn't she might get a second term because to some voters it's safer to stick with what you know instead of a cluster fuck where you have no idea how it might turn out.

I think a united conservative party isn't a slam dunk - it will depend on how conservative they are. If they go too right, like Kenney and the Wildrose are already, then they risk losing young voters, who tend to be a little more progressive and urban.

To form a government in Alberta you need two of the three power blocs - Calgary, Edmonton and Rural voters - a united conservative party will get the rural vote no doubt, but Calgary is more progressive than it used to be and the united right will need to be careful about their social conservative views to win there. Those same views are why the Wildrose have only one urban seat in the entire province - just one bozo eruption and the united right will fail too.

This is exactly why I think they won't win. Kenny has already shown he is not progressive enough for Alberta - he sided with a Baptist minister who refuses to allow gay-straight alliances in the Baptist schools he runs (I know, but it's still the law). He asked for an 'English to English' translation of comments made by now Minister of Defense Harjit Sajjan and was called by other members of the house 'racist' for it, as immigration minister he cut health funding to refugee claimants and proposed the ban on the Niqab that Muslim women wear.

He'd fit right in the Wildrose party however. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 am

Wonder if he really wants to "unite the right" because he's worried Wild Rose will win if he doesn't?
Honestly, if Albertans hate the NDP so much are they going to return the party that single-handedly caused them to win in the first place?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:26 am

The vote will be closer than anyone thinks. Notley isn't stupid and she'll probably shred Kenney in a debate just like she did to Jim Prentice. Incessantly hammer down on the radical social conservatism and massive austerity cuts that the WR segment of the alleged alliance will demand and I'd say the election will be as close as a coin toss. Remember, at any given time social conservatives are just one "lake of fire" bozo eruption away from shooting themselves in the foot. They can't help it. The Dippers aren't neophytes to this game anymore and they'll exploit such things to the max.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:01 am

I'm still somewhat surprised the NDP won at all, I have thus no idea how it'll turn out next election. I remember joking that the Conservatives could start killing children and would still win. But apparently not. It's nice that Albertans gave a shock to the Conservatives when it was clear they were being entitled political elitists.

I have an severe doubt that the NDP will win again, it's a different climate now, the Conservatives have likely been forgiven. But who knows, the NDP clearly has the ability to win, and win big, something I could never have guessed before.