Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 pm

BRAH wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
You folks still in love with NAFTA now that it's moving Canadian jobs to Mexico? :?:

Yes, because NAFTA still creates lots of good jobs and economic growth, for all three countries.

Mexico may be getting some low skilled manufacturing jobs (if they're not being eliminated via automation), but if they go there instead of China, we'll still keep some related jobs, like part manufacturing and so on.

Mexico has auto manufacturers knocking down their door to build production facilities and that's not going to China anytime soon because the cost of shipping from China can't be justified, for now. It's a scary thought when your vehicle domestic or import could one day be built in China.

You might want to tell that to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Hyundai - they ship an awful lot of cars from Asia and nearly wiped out the domestic car industry in the 1970s and 80s (Hyundai in the 2000s).

When I was in China in 2008, I saw some of the same exact car models in China that we buy here (VW Jettas, Dodge Cherokees, and some BMWs/Mercedes models). I can't say if they were identical in function, but they looked identical from an exterior standpoint. I kind of agree with your POV and probably wouldn't be a fan of Chinese made vehicles either, given their general levels of quality on most other goods made in China and then shipped here.