canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:10 am

Title: It can be 'very difficult' for Google�s search algorithm to understand truth
Category: Tech
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2017-11-24 07:05:17

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:10 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/21/alphabe ... truth.html

But I heard about this one at the climate skeptic site, WUWT, where they said:

"As a climate skeptic and IT expert, I'm finding this Google difficulty highly entertaining..."

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/11/22/ ... e-problem/

$1:
What people like Google’s Schmidt desperately want to discover is a generalised way of detecting fake news. They believe in their hearts that climate skepticism for example is as nutty as thinking the moon landings were faked, but they have so far failed to find a common marker which allows their personal prejudices to be confirmed as objective reality.

Google could and likely does simply impose their prejudices, explicitly demoting climate skeptic articles and specific websites to the bottom of their list – but they feel guilty about doing this because they know imposing their personal views on the search algorithm is cheating. Explicitly imposing personal prejudices on their search ranking algorithm forces Google to admit to themselves that those views are prejudices. It bothers them that they have not yet discovered a way to objectively justify those prejudices by applying a generalised filter to their underlying data.

To put it another way, in the case of climate skepticism I suspect Google’s problem is they have discovered there are lots of published mainstream peer-reviewed papers which support climate skeptic positions. This is likely messing up their efforts to classify climate skepticism as not being part of mainstream science.

The mounting evidence US tech giants are refusing to accept is that their Silicon Valley monoculture might be wrong about a few issues. They will likely continue to burn millions of dollars worth of software developer time chasing unicorns, because as long as they can convince themselves they are working on a solution, they don’t have to admit to themselves that they might have made a mistake.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:44 am

"Climate skeptics"? What, you doubt the existence of climate now? :lol:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:51 am

$1:
What people like Google’s Schmidt desperately want to discover is a generalised way of detecting fake news.
Comedy gold!!!
The purveyor of fake news himself puts forth a fake news announcement!!
Keep the jokes coming, Schmidt!

Mr.Go-Ogle is quite capable of detecting fake news before any fake news is ever announced.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
"Climate skeptics"? What, you doubt the existence of climate now? :lol:

That is a dumb term, isn't it? But I see now why your guys popularized it to the point even people like myself find themselves using it.