Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 pm

CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:

$1:
ABSTRACT: Official anti-communist policies, adopted by the Mackenzie King government during the Second World War, were only partially effective. These policies were implemented by the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and the armed forces high command, and included internment, banning the Communist Party of Canada (CPC), and monitoring communists in the armed forces. These policies, however, were thwarted by the logic of the war, as well as by opposition from liberal public opinion and the communists themselves.
From Pariahs to Patriots: Canadian Communists and the Second World War by Chris Frazer
Communists: Concern of subversion because of Stalin's agreements with Hitler, 250ish involved. Banning the party during time of war to ensure no enemy in the government the best they could. Lasts about two years.

Gays: Decades (centuries even) or religious persecution, being told that what they are is illegal, being sterilized and/or jailed because of it, being monitored by the RCMP for decades.

Yep same thing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
More crocodile tears. It looks like he's learning to cry on cue for anyone he's giving money to.

But my real issue with the asshat is that he keeps claiming to speak for "all Canadians" which isn't exactly true because he only got 39.5 percent of the country who voted for him.

I guess it sounds so much better saying "all Canadians" when transposing today's morals on generations and laws from the past.

But, if anyone really cares about why the gay people were punted from the military in the past. It was because they lied on their enlistment applications by declaring themselves not to be homosexual which, along with a myriad of other non declared offenses gave the military the right to release you. As for the Public Service and RCMP I have no idea if they had the same application process so I won't speak to their releases.

But for the record, there have been gay sailors forever and I sailed with more than a few of them. The difference is that everyone knew they were gay but nobody cared so long as they did their job and were professional which, was what everyone I knew were. The problems occurred if and when some of them started to flaunt their sexuality which, left the Gov't no choice because of the "Code Of Service Discipline" than to take action and use the lying on your enlistment application to release them.

Was it right, maybe, maybe not. I'm not here to judge but I do know that most of the gay people who I sailed with were good people and good sailors who shouldn't have been punted and amazingly enough, weren't. From my experiences it always seemed to be the shitbirds who got their walking papers for being openly gay and some even used that reason to get out of fulfilling their contracts.

So, why are we be apologizing for past digressions by the Gov't when the people demanding these apologies are the very people who knowingly broke those laws and now because of today's group think want to be compensated for doing it?

So it was their fault for lying on their application, is your point? So what were they supposed to do? They were gay. It was illegal to be gay. If you came out as gay, you are subject to assault, often sexual assault, and the police will blame you if you report it. Nobody believes your "some of them were good people" baloney. I grew up redneck and I've seen how gays were treated. And it wasn't "Hey, you're gay but you're OK." Not by a long shot.

I'm not disagreeing that some of them were mistreated but by the same token I'm not going to pass judgment on the people who wrote and enforced those laws because, given the moral codes of the times they did nothing wrong and no amount of apologizing and doling out of taxpayers money can change that.

So, claiming these people were mistreated while true by today's standards doesn't hold up to the scrutiny of history. Because, if you're going to vilify one set of past standards in order to champion one specific group, you'd better be willing to do it for all of them. And, for the record there are one hell of alot of people who, if using today's morals compass could be considered severely mistreated and abused by gov'ts in the past.

Like I said I don't know what happened in the RCMP and Public Service but I do know that the Navy wasn't overly inclined to throw these people out because of their sexuality. That only became an issue if that sexuality became overt and then the military used the clause of lying on their enlistment papers to get rid of them.

Where do we go from here? There were thousands of people who were thrown out of the military because of smoking marijuana. So, given that Trudeau is going to make it legal do we now owe all of them an apology and compensation? Or, should a gov't be able to cherry pick the moral high ground they want to occupy based solely on their own moral values and if they can do it to grant apologies for what they consider past injustices then wouldn't the gov'ts in the past also hold that moral high ground and have nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for?

I'm pretty sure you can see where i'm going with this because, it wasn't just gays who were discharged for lying on their enlistment papers.