canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Current capitalism doesn't do "balance". What it does is drop an economic bomb that blows things to pieces just to see what happens. If some survive the destruction then good for them. If some don't then it's "oh well, not our fault, people need to learn to adapt".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:22 pm

As of this year rural Oregon will get some self serve gas stations. Finally progress.
Now they can "save" as much as we do pumping it ourselves in the rain while ONE minimum wager runs a gas station, convenience store and sells lotto tickets....
gee a candy bar is only a buck and a half now a bottle of Coke two fifty!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:30 pm

8O

Attachments:
Pumpist.jpg
Pumpist.jpg [ 78.88 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 pm

There's a full serve here, used to be great until prepay.
Now you can go inside and wait in line behind the little old ladies checking their lotto tickets and buying new tickets with nickels, or go thru the rigamarole with your cards at the pump in -30 and do everything but hold the pump....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:47 pm

herbie herbie:
Now you can go inside and wait in line behind the little old ladies checking their lotto tickets and buying new tickets with nickels, or go thru the rigamarole with your cards at the pump in -30 and do everything but hold the pump....

Yup, same at my local gas station. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 pm

herbie herbie:

So you are saying you are to good to pump your own gas? Sorry if I'm getting what you are saying wrong. It sounds, to me, like you want someone else to pump your gas. IF sliding your card into the machine, pulling it back out and punching a few numbers is to much of a struggle for you I do have to wonder how hard it is for you to drive safely. Here in America most of us have been paying at the pumps for decades and don't seem to have as much issue with it as you seem to have Herbie.

Once again if i'm reading your statement wrong I apologize.

Last edited by stratos on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:00 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Coach85 Coach85:
How about you save up, borrow and spend 1.5 million to open your own franchise and then have people tell you how much money you should make.

Isn't that exactly what you are telling the people that work there? That they should be happy they have a job, and don't complain when they have to work 2 or 3 jobs to pay rent?

Well if your rent requires 3 jobs to pay and your skill set is pouring coffee into a cup you have two options. Move out of that overpriced hellhole of a city or upgrade your skill set to obtain a higher paying job.
I guess the third option is to join the "free shit army" and demand that any skilled productive citizen provide all amenities to you.
Almost forgot the fourth option. Get a government job. Which is very similar to option 3.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
herbie herbie:

Yup, same at my local gas station. :D

Most stations in Italy are self with a machine, no employees at all.

And gas costs twice the price you pay.

Progress. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:35 pm

$1:
Once again if i'm reading your statement wrong I apologize.

You are. The bitch is about going to a full serve and having to do 90% of the work yourself. All the gas jockey does is put the nozzle in and stand there til it clicks.
Which is still better than me having to fill a pickup at -30 in the wind.
Used to be you just handed jockey or teller your card or a wad of cash, they pumped and gave you change or the hand unit to pay. Now the pumps won't even work until they have the money first.

Just read today that Richmond BC and Coquitlam still don't allow self serve! I grew up down there and never realized that. It just dawned on my why all the gas stations I remember were on the Burnaby side of North Rd...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm

uwish uwish:
"Newsflash: that's how society works. We all pay tax, so the .001% of homes that burn down have fire coverage when they do."

sort of a stringer for an argument, considering I have well documented just how much tax I pay say in comparison to others. Does that mean I get a dedicated fire truck then? After all, I pay 2.5 x the 'average' Canadian in taxes, so then I am demanding 2.5 x's the services. Your argument is very weak and doesn't hold weight when it's just me and my wife in my household. Between us we pay 5 X the average Canadian tax bill so lets NOT go down that road, because it's not a defensible position you have to hold.

Furthermore, I have posted many times and many sources that people earning $100K and over ( so all incomes > $100K) pay 80% of all taxes collected (personal). So if you want to have a discussion about this I am here for you, really I am but your accounting is just not accurate. It's quite clear that people of this income level pay MORE than their 'fair' share of taxes and only receive the same service as someone who a. pays no tax or b. pays significantly less tax.

I am not saying that isn't the common society view, nor that it's 'wrong' but I sure don't want to be lectured by someone who isn't thankful I pay as much tax as I do, without our income bracket, this country would be very very different.

You know I didn't write any of those arguments, right? That's the voices in your head talking to you, pretending to be me.

The voices are not your friends.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm

nice dodge.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
The voices are not your friends.

Mine give me great investment advice. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:57 pm

:idea:

Attachments:
Fits this thread.jpg
Fits this thread.jpg [ 39.67 KiB | Viewed 482 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:50 am

Thanos Thanos:
Current capitalism doesn't do "balance". What it does is drop an economic bomb that blows things to pieces just to see what happens. If some survive the destruction then good for them. If some don't then it's "oh well, not our fault, people need to learn to adapt".

Oh, I don't expect corporations or capitalism writ large to provide any sort of balance - that's up to society pressuring politicians to ensure some sort of balance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:26 am

On the other hand Timmie's Head Office condemned the actions of the few and flatly stated corporate policy is not to treat employees as mere expenses.
Shame on the operations that are ONLY paying employees minimum wage.

McD's in Prince George was hiring this summer at $12.00, minimum wage was $10.85 at the time. The schedule of steps to increase it to $15 will be announced soon.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 11  Next