Title: Trudeau promises family of slain Indigenous man to �fix the system�
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2018-02-13 07:01:24
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 am

I didn't follow this case, and don't know the story, but justice must always be blind, and above all accountable! It now has the attention of the PM, I am glad he is taking charge of the system. In the same veign, he must deal with the RCMP as well. Justice is a broad system, and neither the Toronto Police, Ontario Police or RCMP must be allowed unaccountable reign.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... ittal.html

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 am

What's the worst that could happen?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
I didn't follow this case, and don't know the story, but justice must always be blind, and above all accountable! It now has the attention of the PM, I am glad he is taking charge of the system. In the same veign, he must deal with the RCMP as well. Justice is a broad system, and neither the Toronto Police, Ontario Police or RCMP must be allowed unaccountable reign.

Perhaps you should read stories before regurgitating your usual Conspiracies first.

The RCMP have no say in the court system, and the trial was in Saskatchewan. :roll: :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am

BRAH BRAH:

Considering Obama’s still more popular than Trump and Trudeau that meme probably helps JT a lot.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... ittal.html

He's not taking charge, he's looking to score points and draw headlines.

There was no great injustice here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 am

I'd love to know how terrible a proposed change would be.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am

Tricks Tricks:

It might be due. But the alternative should also retain the accused right's to choose a jury 'of their peers'.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:55 am

Legislating that a jury absolutely has to be composed along certain racial percentages in cases involving minorities is a recipe for legal disaster. For one, the selection process could end up endlessly bogged down if the "correct" balance can't be easily met, to the point where charges against violent criminals get dropped because it takes to long to impanel a jury. And, two, it opens up the prospect of innumerable OJ Simpson-types of verdicts, with the jury room getting turned into a racial battleground; as a minimum expect a wild increase in mistrials that result from this.

This is a catastrophe in the making, and all because the Liberals want to play their usual goody-two-shoes diversity card for their own political gain.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am

So are you accusing the jurors in this case to be racists?

Certainly justice must be blind but it also must be fair and when you have some hackneyed politician sticking his nose into places it doesn't belong altering the justice system to suit his social and moral beliefs you run the risk of removing the safeguards that were put in place to ensure that the accused gets a fair trial.

But here's a few questions. Why should the Natives have to be "represented" on a jury trying a white man? They aren't his peers and would undoubtedly bring a biased approach to the proceedings if it involved a native. But, since you and Socks seem to think mandating race rather than peer based juries is a good thing, just how many Natives on a 12 man is acceptable. Since they represent 4.9% of the population do they get that percentage of the jury no questions asked? How about trial by judge. Does the system have to find a Native Judge or do they go get one of the elders from a band and make him the judge.

It's silly to say that they "have" to be included in the jury pool and jury because if that is what the gov't wants stand by because jury selection will take alot more time and depending on the case, most if not all will be recused by the defense lawyer for being biased.

I'm sorry but our system was set up to ensure as fair a trial as possible and your and the PM's delusions about basing trials on race are nothing but social engineering designed to allow a small minority of people to control the outcome of trials that they have a vested interest in.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 am

He'll shed a few tears and take a few pictures then umm and....and ahh his way through a speech or two and in the end, nothing will be improved for anyone. And electroshocked will continue with his bullshit conspiracies.

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 am

Liberals: We're from the Government. We're here to help.

Citizen: Run Martha!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:23 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:

It might be due. But the alternative should also retain the accused right's to choose a jury 'of their peers'.

It should retain all the rights present in the Charter. Maybe they should look at the fact that 70% of the jury summons didn't show up? That's how you fix the system. When you compel someone to show up, make sure they actually do.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
BRAH BRAH:

Considering Obama’s still more popular than Trump and Trudeau that meme probably helps JT a lot.

What does Trump have to do with this? Oh wait never mind. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Legislating that a jury absolutely has to be composed along certain racial percentages in cases involving minorities is a recipe for legal disaster. For one, the selection process could end up endlessly bogged down if the "correct" balance can't be easily met, to the point where charges against violent criminals get dropped because it takes to long to impanel a jury. And, two, it opens up the prospect of innumerable OJ Simpson-types of verdicts, with the jury room getting turned into a racial battleground; as a minimum expect a wild increase in mistrials that result from this.

This is a catastrophe in the making, and all because the Liberals want to play their usual goody-two-shoes diversity card for their own political gain.

R=UP

Say whatever you want about the trial, but Stanley literally had a jury of his peers. Had it been some jury with percentages of minorities, it would not have been.

I don't agree with killing someone over property, but there are two things that stand out for me. First, criminals in rural areas now that police response times are measured sometimes in hours, not minutes like in urban areas, so they've changed tactics and too many are targeting rural residents. Second, had Bushie not engaged in that criminal activity, he'd likely still be alive today.