canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:10 am

Title: Ex-senator Mac Harb cleared of mortgage fraud, blames Tory senators for his legal troubles
Category: Political
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-07-11 07:05:45
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:10 am

$1:
"I didn't want to serve with a bunch of Conservative senators who are ruthless, spineless and have no principles whatsoever. There's some rotten apples there," Harb said of his decision to step away some 16 years before his mandatory retirement date.

R=UP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:29 am

$1:
In 2007, Harb transferred 99.99 per cent of his ownership stake in a Cobden, Ont. property to a diplomat from Brunei, Magdalene Teo.

Harb then subsequently bought a house in nearby Westmeath, Ont., in 2010 and took out another mortgage from RBC for $240,000. He listed the Cobden home as an asset to support his loan, according to court documents.

Um, yeah...that's fraudulent. He secured a collateralized loan with collateral he didn't own. He had no right to permit the bank to encumber the '99.9%' of someone else's assets and had they needed to foreclose they would have been (rightly) screwed.

That's simple fraud and he should be in prison for it.

Simple as that.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
$1:
"I didn't want to serve with a bunch of Conservative senators who are ruthless, spineless and have no principles whatsoever. There's some rotten apples there," Harb said of his decision to step away some 16 years before his mandatory retirement date.

R=UP

Ironic to hear that from the guy that borrowed on a house that he didn't own. Looks like he's still on his high horse.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am

Coach85 Coach85:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
$1:

R=UP

Ironic to hear that from the guy that borrowed on a house that he didn't own. Looks like he's still on his high horse.

It's good to know people are reading the article.

$1:
"What the Royal Bank has finally acknowledged is that there never was any mortgage fraud — ever. Sen. Harb has done nothing wrong," he said, adding he had to drag the bank "kicking and screaming" to the point where it released a letter conceding it does not believe Harb is a mortgage fraudster.

And it doesn't change that there are dickwads in the Senate, anyhow.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

$1:
"What the Royal Bank has finally acknowledged is that there never was any mortgage fraud — ever. Sen. Harb has done nothing wrong," he said, adding he had to drag the bank "kicking and screaming" to the point where it released a letter conceding it does not believe Harb is a mortgage fraudster.

If he was truly "innocent" why did he resign, why didn't he fight it like that fat troll and Pamela Wallin? Seems to me he's trying to make it sound like the Tory Senators are responsible for him not being in the Senate and not taking responsibility for his less than ethical actions.

And for the record, saying someone isn't a fraudster doesn't necessarily mean they're didn't use the system to their benefit. Since I don't believe Harb is the village idiot I'm pretty sure he knew he didn't own the home and I'm also pretty sure the Royal Bank lending officer knew he didn't own the home. So, given the banks non partisan nature, he wouldn't have had to "drag the Royal Bank kicking and screaming" into making that statement if he and their lending officers weren't caught committing what is essentially fraud.

Hell, if the Royal was lending money on non collateralized loans they probably wanted this all to quietly go away and the quickest way was to say they believed Harb hadn't done anything wrong and hopefully move on before their shareholders noticed their new and improved lending practices.

Hopefully they haven't changed their lending requirements though because, I'm off to the Royal Bank to take out a non collateralized loan on the Taj Mahal. I wonder how much I can get? ROTFL ]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

$1:

Thanks, smart ass.

I did read the article. Harb settled with Royal Bank and Royal provided a 'letter' from a private banker in Ottawa, which we haven't seen, to allegedly vindicate Harb.

I'd love to see a bank tell you to use someone elses house as collateral for a new mortgage. The bank was unaware that he transferred ownership of the home.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The same dickwads that went after conservative senate members, too. For Harb to claim it's a conservative witch-hunt is ludicrous.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am

Coach85 Coach85:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

$1:

Thanks, smart ass.

I did read the article. Harb settled with Royal Bank and Royal provided a 'letter' from a private banker in Ottawa, which we haven't seen, to allegedly vindicate Harb.

I'd love to see a bank tell you to use someone elses house as collateral for a new mortgage. The bank was unaware that he transferred ownership of the home.

I don't care enough about Harb to pay attention that long. All I know is:

$1:
In February 2014, the Mounties said there wasn't enough evidence to charge Harb with mortgage fraud but pushed ahead with the other fraud and breach of trust charges against him — which were eventually withdrawn when Duffy's not-guilty verdict came down.

And that seems good enough for me.

Coach85 Coach85:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The same dickwads that went after conservative senate members, too. For Harb to claim it's a conservative witch-hunt is ludicrous.

I don't recall any Liberal Senators bringing their colleagues up on false accusations, so I'd agree that it was a 'Conservative Witch Hunt'. As in; led by Conservatives. Presumably to get a few empty seats for more Harper nominees.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I don't recall any Liberal Senators bringing their colleagues up on false accusations, so I'd agree that it was a 'Conservative Witch Hunt'. As in; led by Conservatives. Presumably to get a few empty seats for more Harper nominees.

Ignoring, of course, that there were far more conservatives involved in this scandal than liberals which negates any notion of a witch hunt.

If Harb was indeed innocent of everything, why did he pay back that money and now vindicated, he hasn't ask for it back?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Coach85 Coach85:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Ignoring, of course, that there were far more conservatives involved in this scandal than liberals which negates any notion of a witch hunt.

Ignoring how? I specifically state it was the Conservatives doing the hunting, and since there were so many false accusations, that pretty much means 'witch hunt'. Let's not forget, all the juicy bits of the scandal were within the rules of the Senate. That doesn't mean it wasn't immoral, just that it was legal.

Coach85 Coach85:
If Harb was indeed innocent of everything, why did he pay back that money and now vindicated, he hasn't ask for it back?

I'm not psychic, ask him.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Ignoring how? I specifically state it was the Conservatives doing the hunting, and since there were so many false accusations, that pretty much means 'witch hunt'. Let's not forget, all the juicy bits of the scandal were within the rules of the Senate. That doesn't mean it wasn't immoral, just that it was legal.

It could be considered a witch hunt if they only went after Liberal Senators. That wasn't the case. 3 of the 4 were Conservatives.

Mac Harb crying because he claims he was targeted because he was a Liberal is just plain false.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 am

Coach85 Coach85:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It could be considered a witch hunt if they only went after Liberal Senators. That wasn't the case. 3 of the 4 were Conservatives.

Mac Harb crying because he claims he was targeted because he was a Liberal is just plain false.

We just have different definitions of 'Witch hunt' is all. I don't see all Conservative senators as the same, as many came from different parties, or in the case of Alberta Senators - we voted for them.