canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:25 am

Title: Liberal government writes off $1.1B US loan to Chrysler, plus interest, docs show
Category: Political
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-10-22 06:58:23
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:25 am

I wish the government would have given me $2B that I could just keep and never pay back.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:35 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I wish the government would have given me $2B that I could just keep and never pay back.

You and me both.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:42 am

Even if we went halfsies . . .

And the part that makes me :roll: are the people who refuse to see this as another way the gap between rich and poor widens. How much of that money went for year end bonuses to a company that sold itself, and is now selling it's parts division for $7B?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:45 am

I wish more people would vote with their wallets.

Ford is the only domestic company that didn't outright steel tax money from you...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:50 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

And the part that makes me :roll: are the people who refuse to see this as another way the gap between rich and poor widens. How much of that money went for year end bonuses to a company that sold itself, and is now selling it's parts division for $7B?

I was talking to a colleague earlier about this earlier. The greed and voraciousness of these corporations will lead to a class war before too long. And no, I don't think a glorious people's uprising will lead to anything other than a lot of deaths.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:52 am

Robair Robair:

Ford is the only domestic company that didn't outright steel tax money from you...

6 of the last 8 vehicles I've purchased have been Ford.

I haven't considered buying anything else since 2007.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 am

llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I was talking to a colleague earlier about this earlier. The greed and voraciousness of these corporations will lead to a class war before too long. And no, I don't think a glorious people's uprising will lead to anything other than a lot of deaths.

Add to that the climate migrants that will come when things get really hot, and . . . I'll just put my feet up and watch it all burn.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am

Robair Robair:

Did GM pay back their bailout?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:37 am

Tricks Tricks:
Robair Robair:

Did GM pay back their bailout?

They paid in stocks. That was how Harper tried to balance his last budget, through the sale of those stocks.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 am

Is it any wonder that people have lost faith in the government. This crazy they could have done so many other things with that money wonder what they were promised and if we have a hope of the promise being fulfilled. I doubt it

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 am

Fiat Chrysler vehicles are Italian junk.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:40 am

It's also peanuts compared to what companies do in the U.S.

Currently it's estimated that the various government of the U.S. have invested half a trillion dollars to telecoms for fibre since the 90s.

They've basically done nothing with it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 am

housewife housewife:
Is it any wonder that people have lost faith in the government. This crazy they could have done so many other things with that money wonder what they were promised and if we have a hope of the promise being fulfilled. I doubt it

Chrysler restructured right after they took on this debt, into the company that builds cars and the company that has debt. Then they sold the former to Fiat, and abandoned the latter. They made no interest payments, no attempt to service the debt.

So, no. We get nothing.

Also, that was in 2009, before this government came to power.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:19 am

Tricks Tricks:
It's also peanuts compared to what companies do in the U.S.

Currently it's estimated that the various government of the U.S. have invested half a trillion dollars to telecoms for fibre since the 90s.

They've basically done nothing with it.

Oh FFS they do that here all the time. They shelled out $500M here of public money in the 1990s for fibre optic to service Kitimat, took 10 years of fighting for communities along the way to get connected to it. There are still some communities along the way with no DSL service. They JUST connected Prince Rupert to it a couple years ago and it's supposed to be the super port.

Question is WHY they didn't try to collect from FCA. There's obviously more to the story.
And you Ford fanboys are welcome to call when you need me to pull you out.