Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:31 am

llama66 llama66:
Whoever is behind this is a piece of shit. Violence is not how you convey a message.

I don't think this person intended violence.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:33 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:
Whoever is behind this is a piece of shit. Violence is not how you convey a message.

Fair enough, but I do think s/he intended to cause terror.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:35 am

$1:
MIAMI (CBSMiami/CNN) – Federal authorities have arrested a man in Plantation in connection to a series of package bombs that have been sent to top Democrats and President Trump critics, according to CBS News.

The man was taken into custody at an Auto Zone store on State Road 7 at SW 6th Street around 10:30 a.m. A “loud explosion” was heard at the time of the arrest, possibly from a flash bang device used by FBI in the course of making the arrest.

A law enforcement source told CBS4 the man is 56-years-old Cesar Sayoc and they were led to him through DNA evidence. Sayoc reportedly has ties to New York and that he has a criminal history.

The FBI wrapped a blue tarp over the top of a white van in the parking lot, to preserve any evidence, before it was put on a flatbed truck and taken to an FBI facility.

Friday morning, the existence of two more package bombs were revealed by authorities.

The 11th suspicious package has been found at an Opa-locka mail facility, it was addressed to New Jersey Senator Cory Booker.

It was discovered Thursday night and it is similar in appearance to the others that were sent to prominent Democrats and critics of President Donald Trump.

In New York Friday morning, police responded to a suspicious package at a postal facility in midtown Manhattan. The package was similar to the others and was addressed to former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper at the Time Warner Center where CNN has its New York bureau.

On Thursday, the FBI and the Miami-Dade Police Department bomb squad spent hours at a United States Postal Service mailing distribution center in Opa-locka.

CBS News confirmed several packages may have originated at the facility. Postal inspectors have been poring through millions of pieces of mail, searching for similar packages.

The FBI stated every single suspicious package has the name and address of Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Shultz’s Sunrise office.

Friday morning, Wasserman Schultz said it was ‘disturbing’ and ‘devastating’ to have her name used on the package bombs.

All of the parcels were sent in similar packaging and the devices were made to appear like active bombs. Investigators are working to determine whether the bombs were just poorly designed or if they were simply meant to scare the recipients.

Besides the FBI analyzing the devices in Virginia, CBS News reports investigators are looking through surveillance video from the Opa-locka facility, especially video from cameras in the self-mailing area.

The FBI is also looking for video at neighboring businesses.

Friday’s development comes one day after three additional packages — the 8th, 9th and 10th in the series — were found addressed to Robert De Niro and Joe Biden.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:37 am

Cesar Sayoc had been charged with making bomb threats back in 2002.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:41 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
$1:

A law enforcement source told CBS4 the man is 56-years-old Cesar Sayoc and they were led to him through DNA evidence. Sayoc reportedly has ties to New York and that he has a criminal history.

Now I am [huh]. You can't sequence DNA in under a week, let alone get a blood type match. How was that done so quick?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:48 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
$1:

Now I am [huh]. You can't sequence DNA in under a week, let alone get a blood type match. How was that done so quick?

You're right. No way it was done that fast. Could be the FBI had illegal evidence indicating this guy and the DNA thing is just bullshit to tide people over until they can build a case on admissible evidence.

In any case the following is now widely public and is not 'doxxing' so please don't remove it:

$1:
Sayoc, Cesar A. was born 17 March 1962, is male, registered as Republican Party of Florida, residing at 18151 Ne 31St Ct, Apt 2016, Aventura, Florida 33160.
Florida voter ID number 120444733. His email address is [email protected].

The voter lists a mailing address and probably prefers you use it: 6201 SW 32Nd St Miramar FL 33023.

This is the most recent information, from the Florida voter list as of 30 September 2018.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:52 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

You're right. No way it was done that fast. Could be the FBI had illegal evidence indicating this guy and the DNA thing is just bullshit to tide people over until they can build a case on admissible evidence.

Perhaps they were already watching him. They could have found a fingerprint, and got a blood type from that in a few hours. That would be enough to remand him.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:52 am

Also, experience tells me to apply the 48-hour rule and not jump to conclusions.

Sayoc is a nutbar but he's also a 'usual suspect' and that DNA claim is suspicious.

Meaning he could just be getting rounded up for the cameras and the real bomber is still out there. Give it a couple days and I imagine we'll know.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:53 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Perhaps they were already watching him. They could have found a fingerprint, and got a blood type from that in a few hours. That would be enough to remand him.

Hmmm...possibly they had DNA on file from the previous arrest...but no way in hell did they process the crime scene DNA so fast.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:56 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
$1:

It might be quicker to process if he's already in the existing database for a prior criminal act. Early reporting is often incomplete so they might have also had a partial fingerprint on one of the packages to confirm it was him as well because it's doubtful with mutliple bombs being mailed out that he'd be 100% perfect in not leaving a print on at least one part of the mechanism or the envelope. The federal forensics teams also have equipment available to them that the state and county authorities could only ever dream of being able to use - they probably make the CSI shows look as primitive now as searching around for evidence with a magnifying glass and a flashlight.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:04 am

Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It might be quicker to process if he's already in the existing database for a prior criminal act. Early reporting is often incomplete so they might have also had a partial fingerprint on one of the packages to confirm it was him as well because it's doubtful with mutliple bombs being mailed out that he'd be 100% perfect in not leaving a print on at least one part of the mechanism or the envelope. The federal forensics teams also have equipment available to them that the state and county authorities could only ever dream of being able to use - they probably make the CSI shows look as primitive now as searching around for evidence with a magnifying glass and a flashlight.

It still relies on chemical reactions to determine the protein sequences, and the fastest methods I've heard of still take a month to complete. Three months is usual.

But like Bart said, 48 hours. Jumping to conclusions just leads to conspiracy theories, next thing you know people are shooting up fast food joints.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Hmmm...possibly they had DNA on file from the previous arrest...but no way in hell did they process the crime scene DNA so fast.

That was literally faster than an episode of CSI

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am

From Global News:
$1:
The van, which had several stickers or decals on the windows, including American flags, pictures of President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence and a sticker that said “CNN sucks”, has since been towed away by officials. (CNN’s New York bureau was the target of two of the mailed pipe bombs.)

If this is true... This changes the narrative slightly..

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:23 am

llama66 llama66:

Not really. I had pretty much assumed someone like this from the start. When Robert DiNero got a package, it confirmed it for me, because of his "Fuck Trump" comment.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:

Ghandi defined violence as 'forcing others to act according to your will'. So I think whoever sent those bombs, inert or not, meant to inflict violence upon others.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:40 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
llama66 llama66:

Not really. I had pretty much assumed someone like this from the start. When Robert DiNero got a package, it confirmed it for me, because of his "Fuck Trump" comment.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:

Ghandi defined violence as 'forcing others to act according to your will'. So I think whoever sent those bombs, inert or not, meant to inflict violence upon others.

I kinda figured it was not some grand conspiracy, rather some mentally ill individual who was acting on what he was constantly hearing...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next