Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:26 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
You mean 1988, right? 1984 was in Sarajevo. :wink:

:oops:

Yep, in '84 I was still getting in shape for tryouts for the '88 Downhill team.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 am

Just me, but I've long thought the best way to handle the Olympics is with two permanent venues.

Like have the Summer Olympics in someplace warm where the air is typically clean...like (ironically) Calgary.

And then have the Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Just me, but I've long thought the best way to handle the Olympics is with two permanent venues.

Like have the Summer Olympics in someplace warm where the air is typically clean...like (ironically) Calgary.

And then have the Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.

That's not a bad idea.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:54 am

llama66 llama66:
Taxes are still coming, but because you're an OK guy, I've exempted you from the Retard comment! [B-o]

We're seriously talking about leaving town in the next couple of years. Things are too grim here now, worse even than the economic climate in Edmonton or Regina. That they've built this into a city where only the rich can afford to live in it just makes everything that much worse. Plus I don't think the voters are ever going to be smart enough to stop electing tax-and-spend kooks like Nenshi and the others who thing the money train for them is infinite. We have no stake or purpose in this city anymore so there really is no logical point in staying. It's like our lives turned into a version of Springsteen's "My Hometown" in the blink of an eye. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:10 am

I want to move back to Southern Ontario...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:25 am

I'd probably have to go to the US to recover my career. These days though, with Trump treating Canadians like we're as bad an enemy as ISIS? Even if my certification was up to date and I had a job sponsor in Texas or North Dakota I doubt I'd get a working permit approved.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 am

Thanos Thanos:
I'd probably have to go to the US to recover my career. These days though, with Trump treating Canadians like we're as bad an enemy as ISIS? Even if my certification was up to date and I had a job sponsor in Texas or North Dakota I doubt I'd get a working permit approved.

Meh, I'm a rent a cop, so I can make peasant wage anywhere, but my Brother wants me to move back to Kitchener and work for GRT.

Last edited by llama66 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:43 am

llama66 llama66:
Its official, 56% of Calgarians are retards. God forbid they realize an olympics would have generated jobs and paid for some infrastructure. But we're cool with being a backwater hick city that pins its hopes on a resurgent O&G industry and has a 10% unemployment rate because of it.

I'd say 56% are quite smart.

It would have generated temporary jobs during the construction phase and few long-term quality jobs. If you want infrastructure, build it. It will cost far less to the City to focus on the needs of the City rather than the needs of a specific event.

It will definitely leave the City in debt for a generation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:44 am

Coach85 Coach85:
llama66 llama66:
Its official, 56% of Calgarians are retards. God forbid they realize an olympics would have generated jobs and paid for some infrastructure. But we're cool with being a backwater hick city that pins its hopes on a resurgent O&G industry and has a 10% unemployment rate because of it.

It would have generated temporary jobs during the construction phase and few long-term quality jobs. If you want infrastructure, build it. It will cost far less to the City to focus on the needs of the City rather than the needs of a specific event.

The last olympics helped kickstart the mass transit here in the city.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:44 am

llama66 llama66:
Thanos Thanos:

Meh, I'm a rent a cop, so I can make peasant wage anywhere, but my Brother wants me to move back to Kitchener and work for GRT.

Ain't life grand when one day you find out the hard way that all the promise it had has been all used up? Sigh. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:45 am

Thanos Thanos:
Ain't life grand when one day you find out the hard way that all the promise it had has been all used up? Sigh. :|

I'm far too cynical for my own good.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 am

llama66 llama66:
Coach85 Coach85:
llama66 llama66:

The last olympics helped kickstart the mass transit here in the city.

Same thing for the '78 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 am

llama66 llama66:
Thanos Thanos:

I'm far too cynical for my own good.

I prefer to call it realism.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:12 pm

llama66 llama66:

Agreed - the '88 Olympics spurred investment in the LRT, Deerfoot and a ton of sports facilities that our athletes have leveraged into dozens of medals in the past decade. There's a reason why Calgary has a functional LRT and Edmonton doesn't - and it's the '88 Olympics.

However, the problem isn't that Calgarians are retards, they just bought into the 'No messaging because of all the mixed messages from the province (which barely supported the bid) and the federal government, who kept messing with the funding and security arrangements that Calgary had thought was all nailed down.

Had the higher level of governments properly supported the bid, it would have been a 'Yes' vote.

The blame falls squarely on Notley, and to a larger extent, Trudeau for this failure.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
llama66 llama66:

Agreed - the '88 Olympics spurred investment in the LRT, Deerfoot and a ton of sports facilities that our athletes have leveraged into dozens of medals in the past decade.

However, the problem isn't that Calgarians are retards, they just bought into the 'No messaging because of all the mixed messages from the province (which barely supported the bid) and the federal government, who kept messing with the funding and security arrangements that Calgary had thought was all nailed down.

Had the higher level of governments properly supported the bid, it would have been a 'Yes' vote.

The blame falls squarely on Notley, and to a larger extent, Trudeau for this failure.

This is true, I guess to lesser degree it's also Nenshi's fault. He said a couple of times that he'll pull support. The good thing is that its non-binding, the bad thing is that the province will withhold its portion of the funding because of the no vote.