canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:22 am

Title: Supreme Court to hear case of woman arrested, ticketed for refusing to hold escalator handrail
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-11-16 05:57:05
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:22 am

Reading the article I was on her side until she filed the lawsuit.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:25 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

What other recourse did she have?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:36 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

None. It's the only way for her to make sure people can't get arrested for failing to obey orders to identify yourself, while committing no offence whatsoever.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:04 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

As I understood it she'd already won the court case concerning her right not to hold the handrail. Is that not correct?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:12 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

As I understood it she'd already won the court case concerning her right not to hold the handrail. Is that not correct?

She was acquitted of the bullshit contempt of cop charges against her but that does nothing to remedy the fact that she was arrested for violating a law that the cop made up on the spot.

To me that's kidnapping, false imprisonment, and tyranny. Either she wins this in court or else you people have to submit to every last whim of your ruling class.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:30 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Either she wins this in court or else you people have to submit to every last whim of your ruling class.

It should be noted, that this is a Quebec case. Quebec civil law isn't the same as the rest of Canada. If she doesn't fight it, then the lower court ruling will stand any any police officer can charge you with something if they 'feel' it's appropriate.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:34 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
She was acquitted of the bullshit contempt of cop charges against her but that does nothing to remedy the fact that she was arrested for violating a law that the cop made up on the spot.

To me that's kidnapping, false imprisonment, and tyranny. Either she wins this in court or else you people have to submit to every last whim of your ruling class.

Possibly but you asked me what recourse she had.

She could have just fist-pumped her win and moved on.

She instead wanted 45 grand.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:40 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Either she wins this in court or else you people have to submit to every last whim of your ruling class.

It should be noted, that this is a Quebec case. Quebec civil law isn't the same as the rest of Canada. If she doesn't fight it, then the lower court ruling will stand any any police officer can charge you with something if they 'feel' it's appropriate.

I'm not sure that's exactly what the article says or are you claiming knowledge to something beyond it?

Here's what the article says:

$1:
Her suit was rejected by Quebec court in 2015 and by the Quebec Court of Appeal in 2017, which said Kosoian was the “author of her own misfortune.”

It will now be up to the country’s high court to settle the matter.

“This is excellent news,” said Kosoian’s lawyer, Aymar Missakila. He said the Court of Appeal ruling created a dangerous precedent.

“A police officer who has a sincere but false belief that a law exists and decides to punish a party on the basis of this law could be exonerated of all responsibility …. It goes squarely against important principles of law,” he said.

In the Court of Appeal decision, Justice Julie Dutil wrote that the officer “had reasonable grounds to believe that an infraction had been committed,” which justified his decision to fine Kosoian and arrest her “because she had refused to identify herself.”

In a dissenting opinion, Justice Mark Schrager wrote that the officer’s “honest but false belief” she had committed an infraction was not enough to clear him of responsibility.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:43 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Possibly but you asked me what recourse she had.

She could have just fist-pumped her win and moved on.

She instead wanted 45 grand.

Fiddy, you're missing the point. She's trying to stop the police from doing this at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 am

Also from the article:

$1:
The officers detained Kosoian for about 30 minutes before letting her go with two tickets – one for $100 for disobeying a pictogram and another for $320 for having obstructed the work of an inspector.

She was acquitted of the two infractions in Montreal municipal court in 2012

Or did you mean she felt she was saving the whole world or at least Quebec by suing for further punishment of the justice system.

They'd already been shown they were wrong. The idea anybody could still be misused out of hand in an unusual manner as a result of the decision is just an opinion from the woman's lawyer handling her lawsuit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:03 am

But you know...now that I'm forced to give this serious consideration I'm thinking the core problem here is one that hasn't been discussed yet.

The claim is the woman was taken into custody for the 30 minutes because she refused to give the cop ID.

So if the injustice was being taken into custody the real question would be did the cop have the right to demand ID. Is that "carding?" I don't think so. He was giving her a citation.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:17 am

The thug tried to impose his own will on the woman. It had nothing to do with the law and everything to do with him bullying the woman.

The Quebec courts assert that you're supposed to do whatever a cop orders you to do regardless if the law gives him that authority. That's insane. It's a grant of almost absolute power.

It's also a reason to arm yourself and start a revolution to restore the rule of law.

Hopefully the Canadian high court rules in favor of law and not power and the need for a revolt will be properly averted as it should have been in Quebec.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:49 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
But you know...now that I'm forced to give this serious consideration I'm thinking the core problem here is one that hasn't been discussed yet.

The claim is the woman was taken into custody for the 30 minutes because she refused to give the cop ID.

So if the injustice was being taken into custody the real question would be did the cop have the right to demand ID. Is that "carding?" I don't think so. He was giving her a citation.

It the violation of her Charter Rights.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Fuck the Charter! Who needs a bunch of gobbledegook legal rights that limit the powers of the police to do whatever the fuck they want?