Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Tricks Tricks:
BRAH BRAH:
"GM Canada is ceasing all operations in Oshawa, ON, the "trusted" media is getting $595 million, what Trudeau is doing to Canada!"

They're also closing plants in Ohio, Michigan, and Maryland. So I guess Trump is to blame for those right?

Trump Derangement Syndrome is Strong in this one. [popcorn]

Thanos Thanos:
I feel bad for the employees who thought they had a future for their families and found out the hard way that they don't. Damn tragedy is what it is, that doesn't deserve the same sort of smirking remarks aimed at those people the same way those same types of comments from far too many Canadians were aimed at Alberta workers when the oil price was deliberately sabotaged by the Saudis.

That is all. :|

EDIT: actually, I'll double-down on this just to be that annoying truth-telling voice that won't shut up. The collapse in the oil & gas sector is a leading cause of the recent woes in the auto sector. With every job lost in the West and every company that's been shut down means that many fewer vehicles of any sort, from fleet vehicles to personal purchases by those "arrogant Albertans who should have saved their money instead", according to the self-righteous scolds, didn't happen. So that's Ontario's bottom line getting clobbered by an economic disaster in the West, just like an innocent bystander in a drive-by shooting, a disaster that a large part of this increasingly moronic country's population thinks was a hilarious and well-deserved come-uppance for those who got too big for their britches.

See what happens when a country not only works against itself but when it actively cheers for harm to come to each other? The Americans might hate each other based on race, religion, and politics but even they don't want to see entire parts of their country get flushed down the toilet by economic disasters the same way that large numbers of Canadians apparently do. There's an obvious lesson to be learned here, and it won't be learned by enough people, because the ancient and traditional patterns of peevishness and pettiness are too deeply engraved into this country's soul.

Canada buys Terror-Oil because the Oil Sands and Pipelines are Evil or something.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:59 pm

BRAH BRAH:
Tricks Tricks:
BRAH BRAH:
"GM Canada is ceasing all operations in Oshawa, ON, the "trusted" media is getting $595 million, what Trudeau is doing to Canada!"

They're also closing plants in Ohio, Michigan, and Maryland. So I guess Trump is to blame for those right?

Trump Derangement Syndrome is Strong in this one. [popcorn]

Not at all, I don't buy that Trump is to blame for their closures, not entirely. I'm sure the price of steel hasn't helped, but something like this would have been considered for a while I'd think. Plus, ultimately the price of steel wouldn't matter if their products were up to par and people were buying them. Just as I don't think Trudeau is to blame for Oshawa. I'd put far more blame on Wynne than Trudeau. But blaming him shows your Trudeau Derangement Syndrome.

But then again, you're a drone, I don't know why I'm bothering.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Tump's tariffs and trade wars have been cited by multiple respectable economists and reputable financial news sources as being a major part of the problem with today's instability. Anyone really dumb enough to think that his fucking around the metals market doesn't have something to do with GM's decisions, since he single handedly shot up the price of steel in the US with his idiocy that he aimed at Canada and China?

And, BTW, the Texas oil patch is angrier than fuck at him for his buddy-buddy routine with the Saudis because it's going to collapse their revenues too if the price of American crude drops below that $60 to $70 US per barrel range that they need to be profitable. Trump's chaos and malice is fucking EVERYTHING up and the only ones who won't admit it are his goddamn fanboys and cultists. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Tump's tariffs and trade wars have been cited by multiple respectable economists and reputable financial news sources as being a major part of the problem with today's instability. Anyone really dumb enough to think that his fucking around the metals market doesn't have something to do with GM's decisions, since he single handedly shot up the price of steel in the US with his idiocy that he aimed at Canada and China?
They do, but I think it's just another cog in the decision. Just as Ontario's ridiculous energy prices are another cog for Oshawa. Shutting down several plants because of what should be a temporary result of policy, it's short sighted. If 6 months from now he stops being an idiot with tariffs and steel returns to normal prices, then what? Are they going to attempt to re-open the factories? Good luck with that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Every single one of us on CKA will win the $60 million Lotto Max before Trump and his followers stop being idiots. These economic problems aren't being caused by the natural economic cycle, or even by rich twats being more greedy than usual. This time the rampant chaos and instability is being deliberately created by a runaway mentally-ill political ideology centered at the White House.

The meta of the whole thing remains the same as it was on the disastrous day that reprehensible punk got elected by those idiots - nothing good or right will ever come from someone who's entire life has been dedicated to the bad and the wrong.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Here's a video about Australia's loss of the car industry. Since it was made, ALL have closed, there is no more.
1) Producing cars nobody wants
2) Fucking stupid refuse to believe idiots who think multinational corporations give a shit about their 'supposed countries' or their workers. They're in it for the bottom line PERIOD.

Who the hell knows anyone who'd by an Impala? Or look at the list of closures, all sedans no one's buying. The Volt, their most shit on car ever produced half the morons buying cars think they're 'EVs' and only have a 50 km range! Should've sold 10X what it did, but I've never even seen one in the dealer showroom! Bolt soon to follow.
Ford's already announced they're dropping 'cars', FCAs quietly dropped most of theirs... GM stalled.
Ford's bringing back the Bronco, the Ranger, a baby Bronco. Jeep's become the line that makes money, not Fiat. They're bringing out the Jeep pickup. Things people want SUVs, pickups.
What's in the pipe from GM? A goddam Blazer that's nothing like the old Blazer and will be made in Mexico.
It would be nice if the gov't and union could pressure GM into moving production of another model to Oshawa. Problem is: they don't have any!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:20 pm

herbie herbie:
Here's a video about Australia's loss of the car industry. Since it was made, ALL have closed, there is no more.
1) Producing cars nobody wants
2) Fucking stupid refuse to believe idiots who think multinational corporations give a shit about their 'supposed countries' or their workers. They're in it for the bottom line PERIOD.

Who the hell knows anyone who'd by an Impala? Or look at the list of closures, all sedans no one's buying. The Volt, their most shit on car ever produced half the morons buying cars think they're 'EVs' and only have a 50 km range! Should've sold 10X what it did, but I've never even seen one in the dealer showroom! Bolt soon to follow.
Ford's already announced they're dropping 'cars', FCAs quietly dropped most of theirs... GM stalled.
Ford's bringing back the Bronco, the Ranger, a baby Bronco. Jeep's become the line that makes money, not Fiat. They're bringing out the Jeep pickup. Things people want SUVs, pickups.
What's in the pipe from GM? A goddam Blazer that's nothing like the old Blazer and will be made in Mexico.
It would be nice if the gov't and union could pressure GM into moving production of another model to Oshawa. Problem is: they don't have any!

I'd buy an Impala if I didn't have my truck. Maybe when I get so old I've got to move into an old sailors home I'll get one especially since Consumer Reports rates them as the best "large" car. Otherwise I'll stick with my GMC truck.

As for pressuring GM to keep the plant open there's two options. One is to tell them that we want "ALL OUR FUCKING MONEY BACK" or we'll sue them and their corporation into the ground while selling their plant to someone like the Dongfeng Motor Corporation who we'll ensure will build products that compete directly with GM's profitable lineup.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... cle588100/

Or, given they haven't paid all of their loan off we could just confiscate the building along with the property and sell it to a grow op company.

There's always ways to pressure GM to keep the plant open and running. Now, does our gov't have the political will to do that is a whole other question.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Both GM and Chrysler paid back in full the government bail-out money they were given back in 2009.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Tricks Tricks:

So much winning! MAGA!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:02 pm

GM stock rose on the news that GM is moving way from petrol powered vehicles and instead focusing on electrics.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Both GM and Chrysler paid back in full the government bail-out money they were given back in 2009.

Apparently the Globe and Mail would disagree. But if you look at the date time stamp on the article you'll see that the article was updated:

GREG KEENAN AUTO, STEEL AND AIRLINE INDUSTRIES
PUBLISHED MAY 30, 2011
UPDATED MAY 1, 2018

So if the article is anywhere near accurate we didn't get all our money back like GM wants us to believe. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:18 pm

My error - the government wrote off the balance of the outstanding loans earlier this year:

Look on Wiki under "auto bailout" then go to "Canada" - url doesn't want to co-operate with me for some reason.

$1:
On May 14, 2018, the Canadian federal government announced it would fall short of breaking even from the bailouts of Chrysler Group LLC and General Motors Co. by $3.5 billion.[19] On June 26, 2018, the remaining undisclosed loan amount was written off.[20] The Fraser Institute estimates the total cost to taxpayers at $3.7 billion that was never repaid.

Last edited by Thanos on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanos Thanos:

EDIT: actually, I'll double-down on this just to be that annoying truth-telling voice that won't shut up. The collapse in the oil & gas sector is a leading cause of the recent woes in the auto sector. With every job lost in the West and every company that's been shut down means that many fewer vehicles of any sort, from fleet vehicles to personal purchases by those "arrogant Albertans who should have saved their money instead", according to the self-righteous scolds, didn't happen. So that's Ontario's bottom line getting clobbered by an economic disaster in the West, just like an innocent bystander in a drive-by shooting, a disaster that a large part of this increasingly moronic country's population thinks was a hilarious and well-deserved come-uppance for those who got too big for their britches.

Lost in your diatribe of 'truth telling' was truth itself.

There are no 'woes' in the auto sector. 2017 was a record year for auto sales in Canada as people moved to larger cars like SUV's and trucks. The first 6 months of 2018 saw the total sales 0.2% lower than the record in 2017.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Pretty odd then that 30000 people from an allegedly "healthy" economic sector are going to be losing their jobs.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

There's always ways to pressure GM to keep the plant open and running. Now, does our gov't have the political will to do that is a whole other question.

Our government doesn't have a way to stop this closure. The quicker we realise this and move on, the better we'll be. This isn't the fault of Trudeau, Ford, John Henry or anyone. The auto industry is changing.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  Next