Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:35 am

peck420 peck420:
Foam injection? A la Demolition man?

Last one, I swear.

Actually, Heinlien wrote about a squishy gel that filled an interior cabin in the event of an accident, back in the 30's I think.

I don't know if it could be deployed fast enough, or if the kinetic energy would be sufficiently re-directed enough that your internal organs would survive.

Might work though.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:51 am

Mix it up with a Nikolaevich cabin ejection system, to delay and reduce moment of impact forces?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:53 am

Like the Shuttles had post Challenger?

It would be almost the size of the aircraft. That's still a lot of mass to bring down.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It would be almost the size of the aircraft. That's still a lot of mass to bring down.

Sadly, the Challenger's main cabin did indeed separate during the explosion and it is no secret that the flight recorder caught crew conversations while the cabin plummeted to the sea. From what I understand the flight crew was desperately trying to get control of the shuttle while not knowing that most of the craft was obliterated.

They were alive all the way down to the impact on the water. :(

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:03 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It certainly is, but would it introduce enough of a delay for mitigation systems to act?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:06 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Sadly, the Challenger's main cabin did indeed separate during the explosion and it is no secret that the flight recorder caught crew conversations while the cabin plummeted to the sea. From what I understand the flight crew was desperately trying to get control of the shuttle while not knowing that most of the craft was obliterated.

They were alive all the way down to the impact on the water. :(

I recall. :(

But before the Challenger, the number of abort systems wer elimited. Post Challenger, a couple were added to the fleet:

$1:
After the loss of Challenger in STS-51-L, numerous abort enhancements were added. With those enhancements, the loss of two SSMEs was now survivable for the crew throughout the entire ascent, and the vehicle could survive and land for large portions of the ascent. The struts attaching the orbiter to the external tank were strengthened to better endure a multiple SSME failure during SRB flight. Loss of three SSMEs was survivable for the crew for most of the ascent, although survival in the event of three failed SSMEs before T+90 seconds was unlikely due to design loads being exceeded on the forward orbiter/ET and SRB/ET attach points, and still problematic at any time during SRB flight due to controllability during staging.[4]

A particularly significant enhancement was bailout capability. Unlike the ejection seat in a fighter plane, the shuttle had an inflight crew escape system[10] (ICES). The vehicle was put in a stable glide on autopilot, the hatch was blown, and the crew slid out a pole to clear the orbiter's left wing. They would then parachute to earth or the sea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_abort_modes

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm

peck420 peck420:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It certainly is, but would it introduce enough of a delay for mitigation systems to act?

No idea. My knowledge of aircraft design is limited.

Just thinking about a 'cabin abort' system, you could create separate modules, but that increases weight as every module would have to be self sufficient. Oxygen, bulkheads, doors . . . Lots of systems, interconnections, weight.

To me, air travel is still the safest. Just make a plane that doesn't like to crash, and everything would be good.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:12 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
peck420 peck420:
Foam injection? A la Demolition man?

Last one, I swear.

Actually, Heinlien wrote about a squishy gel that filled an interior cabin in the event of an accident, back in the 30's I think.

I don't know if it could be deployed fast enough, or if the kinetic energy would be sufficiently re-directed enough that your internal organs would survive.

Might work though.

In Myth Busters, they threw Buster out of a helicopter in one of those big Zorb balls and even filled it with bubble wrap for added protection.

He died. :(