Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:40 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I personally love how Kenney has put it on the table to cancel payments to the other provinces regardless of the wishes of Ottawa. [B-o]

Unless I’m mistaken, transfer payments come out of general tax revenue. I don’t think Kenny is dumb enough to tell people not to pay their taxes. More likely this was an appeal to the typical, uninformed voter who thinks Alberta cuts a cheque to the other provinces each year.

I've had so many arguments about this. People think a provincial referendum will solve federal equalization payments. It wont. What's more is, its part of the Constitution; so to make the change we need every province to sign off on it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:56 am

llama66 llama66:
fifeboy fifeboy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I personally love how Kenney has put it on the table to cancel payments to the other provinces regardless of the wishes of Ottawa. [B-o]

Unless I’m mistaken, transfer payments come out of general tax revenue. I don’t think Kenny is dumb enough to tell people not to pay their taxes. More likely this was an appeal to the typical, uninformed voter who thinks Alberta cuts a cheque to the other provinces each year.

I've had so many arguments about this. People think a provincial referendum will solve federal equalization payments. It wont. What's more is, its part of the Constitution; so to make the change we need every province to sign off on it.

And we know, Quebec will never spear their cash cow.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Cogent analysis on how environmental radicals torpedoed the Notley government:

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/trist ... b5d2a82343

$1:
So, the Alberta NDP lost the election. They probably would have lost anyway, but the fact remains that one of the biggest factors dragging down Rachel Notley was her inability to get construction underway for the Trans Mountain pipeline. There was a brief, shining moment where Alberta – Alberta! – was unilaterally imposing a carbon tax, shutting down coal power plants and wasn’t scared to speak of a future that would eventually phase out oil sands production. She even got oil companies on board with this. And this was a pretty risky tactic in Alberta. It wasn’t all that long ago that the province had mainstream political parties who maintained that climate change was a hoax.

So what was the reaction to Rachel Notley from environmentalists? F———- YOU. I’m paraphrasing, but come on: Notley wanted to build one pipeline. One federally approved pipeline with widespread Indigenous support in her home province that wasn’t even a new pipeline: It was just an expansion of an existing pipeline. What did she get instead? Lawsuits. Protests. Unconstitutional threats from B.C. to unilaterally shut it down. And failing all that, senior politicians threatening to get arrested to stop it.

So, who’s governing Alberta now? What is probably one of the most regressive parties in Canada when it comes to climate change. The United Conservative Party is planning to kill the carbon tax by any means necessary. They’re going to leave coal plants open. They’re also planning to immediately shut off B.C.’s gasoline supply in order to starve the place into submission. Alberta, a place that is often pissed off, is particularly pissed off right now.

So great job everybody: Oil country extended the olive branch at great personal expense to itself, and you instead tarred them as a bunch of duck-killing, planet-destroying, neocolonialist knuckle-draggers. Now, you’ve got a government that not only doesn’t give a crap about reducing emissions, but sees opposing green activists as a just and righteous thing. It might be time to think about some pragmatic moderation in the environmentalist movement, because this stuff is just going to keep happening.

You may have noticed that Conservatives everywhere have been losing their goddamned minds over the carbon tax. It’s a “tax on everything,” it’s “job killing,” yada, yada, yada. You can dismiss them as a bunch of climate truthers who hate the earth. Or, maybe they’re cynically tapping into a public mood that is reacting against a green movement that is increasingly uncompromising and unreasonable.

You know what I’m talking about. Cities like Victoria and Whistler suing oil companies for climate change, even while they preside over vast carbon-dependent economies: I’m looking at you, heli-skiing. A green movement that is manically opposed to nuclear energy, even if by simple mathematics, you cannot feasibly run the power grid on renewables. Lauding a fringe group of protesters who illegally blockade an LNG pipeline project that has unprecedented amounts of Indigenous buy-in and is a net boon to global emissions reduction because it will be supplanting coal power in China. Prominent environmentalist voices who are openly saying that we can’t save the climate without “smashing capitalism.”

A lot of people have been watching this unfold, and they are coming to the not unreasonable conclusion that no matter what they do, the green movement’s going to hate it, so screw it: Coal plants and Jason Kenney forever. You can talk all you want about the existential risk of climate change and the need to take radical action immediately. You’ve got science on your side, green movement. But if the Alberta election is any lesson, people aren’t going to be inclined to listen to you if you’re a dick about it.

Not that anyone will listen in this age where the no-compromise mentality that's hurting almost everyone is in full sway. Have fun dealing with Jason Kenney, idiots. You got what you deserved :evil:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:50 pm

llama66 llama66:
BRAH BRAH:
Rachel Notely showed more leadership during the Ft. Mac Wildfire than PM Selfie and she stood up against the Federal NDP’s Leap Manifesto. What didn’t help her was certain cabinet ministers like Sarah Hoffman’s “sewer rats” comment. The next four years will be interesting.

I thought Notley was a great Premier. I have pretty conservative friends that liked her. Her problem was the idiots in her party.

We'll see how Kenney's Alberta shapes up.

Notley was a good Premier in what she had to deal with and yes the idiots in her party didn’t do her any favours.

Attachments:
AFC476D7-5C2E-4146-B2DD-FAAC0A6BD4E8.jpeg
AFC476D7-5C2E-4146-B2DD-FAAC0A6BD4E8.jpeg [ 324.21 KiB | Viewed 28 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:09 pm

llama66 llama66:
fifeboy fifeboy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Not every province, just 2/3rds of them, provided they represent at least half the population.

But more importantly note that equalization is a FEDERAL BUDGET expenditure so amending the constitution wouldn’t prevent the government from continuing to spend its tax revenue that way if it pleases. Nor would it empower anyone in Alberta or elsewhere to stop paying their federal taxes. The constitution requires the feds to provide equalization but they could just do it voluntarily without that clause in the constitution and there’d be nothing you could do about it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Pure Gold, although the Board NDP'ers won't watch.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:40 am

First thing the new UCPs did was put a total hiring freeze on the public sector. There had been an 'critical only' freeze since Redford.

Next, they halted construction on the new Superlab, as expected.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5191127/albe ... ab-health/

I can't wait for health costs to rise, and quality to fall under a conservative government!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
First thing the new UCPs did was put a total hiring freeze on the public sector. There had been an 'critical only' freeze since Redford.

I can't wait for health costs to rise, and quality to fall under a conservative government!

Can you please source the UCP documents that ordered these actions?

Blaming idiots knee jerk reactions on others is exactly what you constantly ask others not to do, no?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:21 am

peck420 peck420:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Can you please source the UCP documents that ordered these actions?

Blaming idiots knee jerk reactions on others is exactly what you constantly ask others not to do, no?

I cannot. They are internal emails, none of which I was copied on and which would be confidential anyhow. And they are not yet the official government until sworn in, so they are not matters of public record yet. I did read the hiring freeze one from someone who was copied on it though.

Previous hiring and wage freezes were public knowledge, if not widely publsized.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2599492/albe ... mmissions/

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/1 ... a-d30.html

https://www.aupe.org/news/public-servic ... ront-line/

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:26 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I cannot. They are internal emails, none of which I was copied on and which would be confidential anyhow. And they are not yet the official government until sworn in, so they are not matters of public record yet. I did read the hiring freeze one from someone who was copied on it though.

You can't because the UCP didn't order the halt. Weird how politicians can't actually do anything until they get into office....

The NDP ordered the freeze.
$1:

3 more things applied by the NDP that I should be mad at the UCP about?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 am

peck420 peck420:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

You can't because the UCP didn't order the halt. Weird how politicians can't actually do anything until they get into office....

They are defacto in office already. Once the election is won, they are the govenment. They don't officially take office till they are sworn in, but they are still calling the shots.

peck420 peck420:
The NDP ordered the freeze.
$1:

3 more things applied by the NDP that I should be mad at the UCP about?

NDP continued the freeze, Redford started it.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business ... story.html

And the UCP are changing the NDP policy of hiring to fill a position deemed 'critical', to a total hiring freeze until further notice.

It might seem like small potatoes, but if someone leaves and their job isn't deemed 'critical', they are not replaced. My team formerly of 16 people is down to 5. With the same workload. There are a lot of things not getting done.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 am

We get the Government we deserve.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:44 am

Conservative Seniors voted for the NDP because of Health Care and feared Jason Kenney was going to screw the system.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:47 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
They are defacto in office already. Once the election is won, they are the govenment. They don't officially take office till they are sworn in, but they are still calling the shots.

Yawn.

You spelt "no one in any position in our governments has a single ounce of moral fiber" incorrectly.

A 'defacto' government has zero legal authority. The only way they get heard is if the rank and file are too busy kissing ass to the new boss rather than doing their job.

$1:
NDP continued the freeze, Redford started it.

Yet you support the NDP? Why? Because green looks better on the same old conservative?

$1:
And the UCP are changing the NDP policy of hiring to fill a position deemed 'critical', to a total hiring freeze until further notice.

And when the UCP gets the legal authority to actually do so, and does it, you can be mad about it.
$1:
It might seem like small potatoes, but if someone leaves and their job isn't deemed 'critical', they are not replaced. My team formerly of 16 people is down to 5. With the same workload. There are a lot of things not getting done.

Interesting. So, every time you posted how bad Kenny is going to be, you were just projecting how bad the NDP actually was. Neat.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:49 am

llama66 llama66:
We get the Government we deserve.

Indeed.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 11  12  13  14  15  16  Next