canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:36 am

My point is, we are taxed almost to death here, the government takes 23% of my wage, then a further 5% on purchases and another % on the smokes, booze and weed I buy. They tax me when I buy something online that's over the "de minimus". They tax me to use a service I should have already paid for in the near 30% of my wage they've already pilfered.

The problem is our Federal bunch of fools don't spend this money in Canada, on Canadians. Rather it goes to showing the world how great we are via foreign aid, it goes to terrorists like Omar Khdar, to Aga Khan, to Foreign visits where the Grand Poo-bah makes a fool of himself, it goes to bailing out Liberal allies like Bombardier and SNC-Lavalin, it goes to apologising and appeasing indigenous groups, it goes to "refugees" that have illegally entered the country.... It literally goes to any cause that not for actual Canadians.

This peasant is tired of being nothing more than a source of income for the Government to take money from.

$1:
And if you don’t burn much carbon as you claim then you won’t pay as much carbon tax now will you?

Not the point. Why am I paying tax at all. Canada is a net Carbon nation already. We have enough "sinks" to offset production.

It's better to provide initiatives to entice companies to invest in Green Tech, and to punish the companies that resist.

$1:
safely eat any food you didn’t grow yourself,

And that's what my income tax goes to.
$1:
And in Alberta, the Carbon Tax pays for LRT construction that you do use.

How did we pay for LRTs in the time before Carbon tax?
$1:
When it’s all said and done, Canadians pay 30% to 35% of their gross income in taxes. That’s not all that much to pay for the first world society you foolishly take for granted.

And then Canadian's probably pay another 10% in hidden taxes. So, that's 40-45% of our total income to government.

I understand both your points, but I still have the right to say enough is enough.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 am

llama66 llama66:
My point is, we are taxed almost to death here,

Not arguing that, but I think some taxes are necessary. We need roads, and sewers, and police. Taxes pay for that. We still have one of the lowest provincial income tax rates, no sales tax and no health care fees.

llama66 llama66:
Not the point. Why am I paying tax at all. Canada is a net Carbon nation already. We have enough "sinks" to offset production.

It's better to provide initiatives to entice companies to invest in Green Tech, and to punish the companies that resist.

A Carbon tax is designed to reduce consumption, like a tobacco tax or tax on alcohol is. And the tax revenue can be spent on Green Tech, that way the problem funds the solution. Unless the Feds run the Carbon tax, and then all the revenue goes back to the people that paid into it. Then it's just a temporary loan we give to the government.

llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Generally, a mix of federal, provincial and municipal funding. But did you notice that the Edmonton LRT didn't lay an inch of new rail from 1978 to the late 90's? Now there are 3 branches in the works, that will link all parts of the city.

llama66 llama66:
I understand both your points, but I still have the right to say enough is enough.

Of course you do. But the point of Carbon tax is to affect a change in habits. It should be a self defeating tax; as people use less carbon then less tax will be generated.

A new tax is never welcome, but it beats doing nothing to change people's habits, and letting industry pollute for free while the taxpayer foots the clean up bill.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 am

I'm already doing my part... I'll never have children.. I want to move deep into the Forest, and I want no part of modern society (except for my Video games)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 am

llama66 llama66:
I'm already doing my part... I'll never have children.. I want to move deep into the Forest, and I want no part of modern society (except for my Video games)

That's the conundrum of going all 'Grizzly' Adams. I'd get my wish of being left the fuck alone. But my ping times would suck slightly more than they do now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:54 am

llama66 llama66:

The problem is our Federal bunch of fools don't spend this money in Canada, on Canadians. Rather it goes to showing the world how great we are via foreign aid, it goes to terrorists like Omar Khdar, to Aga Khan, to Foreign visits where the Grand Poo-bah makes a fool of himself, it goes to bailing out Liberal allies like Bombardier and SNC-Lavalin, it goes to apologising and appeasing indigenous groups, it goes to "refugees" that have illegally entered the country.... It literally goes to any cause that not for actual Canadians.

The overwhelming majority of your taxes are spent in Canada on Canadians. The things you list are minuscule in the scheme of the budget.

$1:

Not true. Anyway, carbon emissions are bad. Period. When you want less of a bad thing you make it more expensive. Besides if you filed your taxes as you were supposed to by April 30 you would have already received a carbon tax credit that is greater than any tax you’re probably paying.

$1:
we’ a little light on the punishment part but basically we’re double that too.

$1:
$1:
safely eat any food you didn’t grow yourself,

And that's what my income tax goes to.

Correct.

$1:
$1:

As I understand it, you’re now getting more LRTs than you would otherwise have been willing/able to afford

$1:
And then Canadian's probably pay another 10% in hidden taxes. So, that's 40-45% of our total income to government.
. What “hidden taxes”?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:02 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Besides if you filed your taxes as you were supposed to by April 30 you would have already received a carbon tax credit that is greater than any tax you’re probably paying.

Not in Alberta. We administer our own carbon tax, we keep the revenue. Until Kenney kills it in 2 weeks, then we can have the credits next tax year! :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Not in Alberta. We administer our own carbon tax, we keep the revenue. Until Kenney kills it in 2 weeks, then we can have the credits next tax year! :)

I sent an email asking them to reconsider. Even pointed out that if Alberta wants more 'say', we need to be collecting as much revenue in house as possible, not reducing it.

I doubt it will even be read.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 am

peck420 peck420:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I sent an email asking them to reconsider. Even pointed out that if Alberta wants more 'say', we need to be collecting as much revenue in house as possible, not reducing it.

I doubt it will even be read.

:lol:

Don't ever change your optimistic self. [B-o]

Just as an aside - they don't use their real names in email addresses. The address '[email protected]' just redirects into the recycle bin. MLA's use aliases, like their middle name or mothers maiden name. Or they just make shit up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Found it.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... /#comments

I think there's a clue in the actual title as to what the question in the Nanos poll might be:

Canadians oppose provincial governments spending taxpayers’ dollars to battle federal carbon tax, poll

From another link I found where these provincial tax dollars are going that Nanos and the Globe and Mail are so upset about.

Better not poll me, Nanos for G n M. You won't like the answer.

$1:
Auditor general pans Doug Ford’s anti-carbon-pricing ad

Provincial auditor general Bonnie Lysyk is giving a thumbs-down to Premier Doug Ford’s new taxpayer-funded TV commercial that attacks the federal government’s carbon-pricing measures.

The fiscal watchdog’s office said Monday the ad “would not have passed the auditor general’s review under the former version of the Government Advertising Act because it doesn’t include all the relevant facts.”

Furthermore, “it criticizes another level of government while putting the Ontario government in a positive light,” said Christine Pedias, Lysyk’s director of corporate communications and government advertising review.

...But the ad does not note the federal tax rebates designed to offset higher fuel costs. For an Ontario family of four, the rebate will rise from $307 now to $718 a year by 2022. That’s a net annual gain of $70 per household.

The federal program, designed to curb greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change, is being bankrolled by large industrial polluters....

https://www.thestar.com/politics/provin ... ng-ad.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:18 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
llama66 llama66:

Generally, a mix of federal, provincial and municipal funding. But did you notice that the Edmonton LRT didn't lay an inch of new rail from 1978 to the late 90's? Now there are 3 branches in the works, that will link all parts of the city.

The gap you're thinking of is after 1992 to the early 2000s. Edmonton added Bay and Corona stations in the mid 80s, added Grandin in 1989 and the UofA station in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_ ... il_Transit

That delay in the 90s/early 2000s was directly due to the austerity imposed on provincial funding, when he slashed per capita transit funding from $75/person to $25/person. When that happened, city council chose to invest in a new bus fleet because they couldn't expand the LRT on their own.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local- ... ontons-lrt

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:26 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
llama66 llama66:

The gap you're thinking of is after 1992 to the early 2000s. Edmonton added Bay and Corona stations in the mid 80s, added Grandin in 1989 and the UofA station in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_ ... il_Transit

In my defence, I have slept since then. Grandin in 89 surprises me. It's part of the underground tunnel system around Government center, and I had though it was always here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Do all provenances have sales tax and Province taxes. I guess you would call it Province Taxes. Here we call it State Taxes. Not all States have it though.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:12 pm

stratos stratos:
Do all provenances have sales tax and Province taxes. I guess you would call it Province Taxes. Here we call it State Taxes. Not all States have it though.

Alberta is the only province without a provincial sales tax.

None of the territories have one, but I believe that is due to them not having the authority to institute one.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 pm

stratos stratos:

All provinces and territories charge income tax ,which is collected by Canada Revenue Agency alongside Federal income tax.

There is a 5% federal sales tax, GST. All provinces except Alberta also collect a provincial sales tax, which varies between 6% and 10%. The territories do not have sales tax although I’m not sure if that’s because they don’t have the power to or (more likely) because goods in the Far North are already extremely expensive.