canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 am

I learned to sew when we wore patched jeans.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:15 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
llama66 llama66:
Why should the government tell me how to live. It's my body. If I want to have a 4l big gulp or 30 Big Mac's, that's MY decision. This is the downside to Social Democracy.

Go crazy.

But then, pay for the treatment through a private facility yourself too.

No. A taxpayer has the right to receive services from the system they've paid in to, and without moralist judgement from the scolds.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
llama66 llama66:
$1:
But then, pay for the treatment through a private facility yourself too.

That's not how a free and fair society with socialized medicare works. I have a right to the public health care system, but you (the government) have no right to dictate what I do with my body.

Sorry, if you have the right to do what you want with your body, then I have the right to reduce healthcare (taxes) costs through prevention or exclusion.

No, you don't have the right to judge, or to dictate where your own portion of tax dollars will or won't go. The only input you're allowed to have is to vote for whatever party skews closest to your own ideas on health care. As exactly with the alleged "pro lifers" the ones wildly over-worried about obesity have the right to express their opinion about what they dislike but they don't have the right to make the decision on how to live for anyone else.

$1:
Same goes for parents who choose no to vaccinate their ankle biters. No one else's ankle biters have to suffer disease and disability because of their choices, so they get excluded from school till they are vaccinated. Or they can be home schooled, at the parents cost.

Bad and inaccurate comparison. Anti-vaxx hurts everyone by damaging herd immunity - those wise enough to be vaccinated and have their own kids vaccinated are still in increased danger from the kooks who won't do it. Same with smokers who are exposing unwilling others to harm through toxic second-hand smoke. The 700 lb fat guy isn't hurting anyone but himself and therefore can't be judged on the same criteria as an anti-vaxxer or some pro-smoking extremist who thinks he still has the right to smoke on a transit bus, aircraft, or in the office at work.

As for the obese, let's not fake it that a stupid punitive tax here or there is going to make them change their ways. Adding an extra 25 cents in tax to a cheeseburger isn't going to chase anyone out of the drive-thru at McDonalds. If the scolds were serious about helping these people then they'd increase the mental & emotional counselling available, especially when people in danger of obesity are young, as well as providing (as part of the public health budget) physical fitness programs. But those things aren't provided, which shows once again that this talk is all just more self-righteous moralizing. Just more of Big Sister with an extra-worried look on her face coming across like she cares , but in reality it's just posturing to conceal that the extra taxes being laid for "sin" disappear into the general funds account and end up who-knows-where as usual once the politicians get their hands on the money.

Last edited by Thanos on Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:28 pm

$1:
Junior High 'Home Economics' classes are where I learnt to cook and sew. Skills I still use.

Same but I don't sew that much any more. It did come in handy back when I was in the army. Quick repair jobs always got me through till I could have the stitching redone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:30 pm

$1:
some pro-smoking extremist who thinks he still has the right to smoke on a transit bus, aircraft, or in the office at work.

OH man IF I could smoke at my desk at work the whole main lobby would be filled with one gigantic smoke cloud. Stupid people coming in here STRESS the crap out of me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:37 pm

stratos stratos:
$1:
some pro-smoking extremist who thinks he still has the right to smoke on a transit bus, aircraft, or in the office at work.

OH man IF I could smoke at my desk at work the whole main lobby would be filled with one gigantic smoke cloud. Stupid people coming in here STRESS the crap out of me.

I'm generally anti-smoking. The way my mom died I think I have a right to be anti-smoking too. That being said I think it was incredibly cruel to the smoker to start taking away their designated areas at work to have a smoke break. Like who really cares if they're in the outside parking lot lighting up? Just the governments and businesses with their faux-concern as usual, and more of the sadistic need to shame people into what a handful of self-appointed judges of the public good have decided is best.

It's one of the things where the lefties and righties are identical in their ego-centrism - both sides never hesitate to use a cruel level of shame into coercing someone else into what the deciders regard as the "correct" behaviour.

This fuckin' world sometimes.... :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Oh for me it's not that big of a deal. I can go outside and smoke, even used to. I've tried cutting back and only smoke at home, the bar, and on trips. I have smoked a total of 3 cigs in my car sense I bought it over a year ago. Just the thought of being able to smoke at my desk at work... dude there would be a serious issue. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Anywho... those who smoke, who weigh 700lbs, who drink a lot or who drive dangerously and crash their car a lot... go buy insurance and tell me who's paying for your excesses. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Up here in Soviet Canuckistan they've gone extra insane. Most businesses now disallow smoking anywhere on their property. I guess it was justifiable to make sure smokers weren't gathering in clusters at the main door but dropping the hammer on them for doing it in the parking lot or out in the storage yard was taking it way too far, like simply seeing a smoker (even if coming no where near the smoke itself) became such a triggering and traumatic event that the employees would hurt themselves in stampeding to a safe space. Pretty sure it's the same thing in most US cities too now, given the nature of those who tend to end up as mayors and councillors in almost every urban area of our cities.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm

raydan raydan:
housewife housewife:
Teaching people how to cook would help. A friend volunteers at a food bank they have problems giving away that has to be cooked that’s not like pizza or the like. It’s actually really hard to convince someone who doesn’t really cook that pot roast is easy. Mine you they also don’t believe pancakes or biscuits are possible without a box. Or long grain rice takes the same amount of time as minute rice and tastes better IMO.

Do they still have cooking classes in high school or has that gone down the drain for lack of money?

I remember taking "Senior Boys Cooking" in 11th grade and we would feed the teachers at lunch with what we made... but I only took the option because the teacher was hot.

They still had it when mine were in high school but that’s almost ten years gone and the grandson has almost ten to get there so no idea if it’s still offered. Learning to shop, plan and cook should be taught though

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Given how most of the teens have their faces perpetually buried in their phone screens it's a good bet that the majority of them will be completely unable to ever cook anything more complicated or time consuming than a microwaved pizza pocket.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Fuck I owned the business and couldn't smoke in it. Then the fuckers were whining about having to walk through "A cloud of" smoke in the parking lot from the workers outside (we ALL smoked). Then they were complaining to the mall we were in and the village office we were smoking in our cars in the parking lot.
People just LIKE to be bitchy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 am

Thanos Thanos:
Given how most of the teens have their faces perpetually buried in their phone screens it's a good bet that the majority of them will be completely unable to ever cook anything more complicated or time consuming than a microwaved pizza pocket.

So sad because so much information to be had on those same phones. It had been a while sense I had cooked some chicken so used my phone to find out what Temp. it had to be to be "cooked". FYI internal temp 165F. and it's ready to eat. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 am

Tricks Tricks:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Do we exclude smokers from public healthcare?
Taxed.
$1:
Do we exclude drinkers from public healthcare?
Taxed.
$1:
Do we exclude people who speed from public healthcare?
Fines.
$1:
Do we exclude people who don't wear their seatbelts from public healthcare?
Fines
$1:
Do we exclude people who don't wear a helmet on a motorcycle or ATV from public healthcare?
Fines
$1:
Do we exclude people who don't exercise three times per week from public healthcare?
Not a requirement to not be 700 lbs
$1:
Do we exclude people who got adult onset diabetes ATV from public healthcare?
Generally (not always) caused by shitty habits.

So we already in some way gather funds from people who do things that might cause a strain on the system.

About the only thing on that list that generates significant revenues are tobacco products and alcohol. Many of those fines are issued only occasionally (especially traffic fines), so I'd say we don't come anywhere close to collecting enough fines to pay for the health care costs they incur.

And some of them, like not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle or ATV are totally legal in some provinces if you happen to be of the Sikh faith and/or riding on private property.

Anyways, my point was more along the slippery slope lines in Dr.C's thought exercise of excluding people who eat poorly from public healthcare - where would be draw the line if we start with that?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 am

Thanos Thanos:

I don't know about that - if they're so inclined, they'll be able to cook but it will be all the bacon-wrapped meatloaf or giant chocolate-covered cheesecakes they see in all those Tasty videos that constantly pop up in social media feeds.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:41 am

stratos stratos:
Thanos Thanos:

So sad because so much information to be had on those same phones. It had been a while sense I had cooked some chicken so used my phone to find out what Temp. it had to be to be "cooked". FYI internal temp 165F. and it's ready to eat. :)

As long as schools make sure that they can read they can figure out cooking later. Learn to shop sales is easier now too. Flyers are on line and coupons are too. Some stores price match so you don’t have to calculate time and gas to shop sales. Though if your budget is tight you should still calculate the sale cycle so you know how often your must have staples are on sale and how much you should buy to make it to the next good sale.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  Next