CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18738
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:48 am
 


raydan wrote:
Pretty hard to define "mental illness"...

I might go the other way and say mental illness is at least partial responsible for their actions and low self-esteem seems to make it worst.

There are a lot of people who have mental illnesses and have no problems being good members of society.


True, yet what some are trying to say is mental illness is more social rejection that has built up to the low self-esteem. He/she was always that odd person in school, got picked on ect.. Doesn't mean they had or have a mental illness. They grow up and in some cases find that fringe groups like white nationalists and Antifa fit their mentality and view of society. They then convince themselves or are convinced that their actions (mass shootings) are justified because society is not what they wish it or preconceived it to be when they were a child growing up.

Delusions of what reality is vs what they expected it to be. Not do to mental illness but because of a lack of social ability and or coping. Sorry I'm reaching for the proper words to use here and they are not coming to me. IMO these issues/problems are not per say mental illnesses.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18738
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am
 


And wow we are so off topic. Sorry everyone.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37270
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 am
 


stratos wrote:
Delusions of what reality is vs what they expected it to be. Not do to mental illness but because of a lack of social ability and or coping. Sorry I'm reaching for the proper words to use here and they are not coming to me. IMO these issues/problems are not per say mental illnesses.


It can be a mental illness. 'Disassociation' I believe it's called. People who are picked on, ostracized, then take up with a group that radicalizes them are taken advantaged of because of their poor social skills. This is how cults and also extremest groups like ISIS or neo-Nazis operate.

The cure is usually simple empathy.

stratos wrote:
And wow we are so off topic. Sorry everyone.


Not offtopic. You are exploring what makes people do strange shit.

Like pay attention to people who crave it. ;)


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18738
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 am
 


Like I said I'm not articulating myself very well. To me there is a difference between Mental Illness and Mental Issues. What we, in this line of discussion, are referring to is mental issues, IMO. Thus the person should still be held accountable for their actions.

Though I do agree to a point with you Empathy does help but not to the point were we should accept that persons view point and make reality fit their wants. Society should be flexible and accepting but only to a certain degree. Demanding society change to fit their view points is not a solution but seems to what is being wanted/demanded by persons such as Yaniv.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9473
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 am
 


She is mentally ill. Not because she's trans. Because she thinks that having a pool party with Top-less 12 year old's is appropriate. Because she thinks threatening people with weapons is appropriate. Because she thinks having people wax her balls, against their will and then suing/intimidating them for exercising their rights as shop keepers is appropriate behaviour.

Nothing wrong with mental illness, so long as you seek help. Hell, I battle depression. That's a mental illness.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18738
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 am
 


Quote:
Hell, I battle depression. That's a mental illness.


I do also, not to a great degree all the time but it comes up and bites me in the ass HARD at times. Still we don't go around insisting others bend to our wants and desires when it goes counter to societal norms and laws. That seems to be what Yaniv wants.

And I totally agree with this
Quote:
Nothing wrong with mental illness, so long as you seek help


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37270
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:22 am
 


stratos wrote:
Like I said I'm not articulating myself very well. To me there is a difference between Mental Illness and Mental Issues. What we, in this line of discussion, are referring to is mental issues, IMO. Thus the person should still be held accountable for their actions.

Though I do agree to a point with you Empathy does help but not to the point were we should accept that persons view point and make reality fit their wants. Society should be flexible and accepting but only to a certain degree. Demanding society change to fit their view points is not a solution but seems to what is being wanted/demanded by persons such as Yaniv.


It's cool, we'll work through it.

What I meant by 'empathy' is the way to show people back to being functional members of society. The one commonality I've read who how someone who was a neo-nazi finally gave that up, was they learnt 'empathy'. They had a child, or they fell in love with a non-white person. Something triggered them from being a 'hater' to a 'lover'. Society doesn't need to change, they need to see what it is they are missing to be a member of that society.

'Mental illness' has a vast range of symptoms, just like physical illness. You can have a cold, or you can have stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Different degrees.

llama66 wrote:
She is mentally ill. Not because she's trans. Because she thinks that having a pool party with Top-less 12 year old's is appropriate. Because she thinks threatening people with weapons is appropriate. Because she thinks having people wax her balls, against their will and then suing/intimidating them for exercising their rights as shop keepers is appropriate behaviour.

Nothing wrong with mental illness, so long as you seek help. Hell, I battle depression. That's a mental illness.


Exactly. You don't have a Napoleon complex. You don't think parking meters are telling you to kill Jews. You have a condition that can be very serious, but you can still be a functional member of society. Degrees.

Why does this person think they have a right to have some minimum wage beautician handle their junk? And worse, why would you have your junk waxed? 8O

A better question, why give this person the attention they crave? Like was written earlier - let the courts work it out.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9473
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:29 am
 


I'm all for letting this get handled in court.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 30803
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 am
 


So if I'm reading this correctly, we'll all bat-shit crazy here. [boff]


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9473
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:36 am
 


raydan wrote:
So I reading this correctly, we'll all bat-shit crazy here. [boff]

uh... duh. I mean we argue, and bicker amongst ourselves through our computers. Some of us make shit up and one guy thinks he's a Llama. Weird. I mean, the mental illness is strong with us.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18738
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 am
 


raydan wrote:
So if I'm reading this correctly, we'll all bat-shit crazy here. [boff]


You're now just realizing this. [huh]


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37270
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 am
 


Attachment:
may spit.png
may spit.png [ 231.94 KiB | Viewed 69 times ]


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 18738
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 am
 


Raydan, DR.Caleb and LLama66. Love the tone and attitudes of this conversation. We are expressing ideas not always in agreement. Yet no put downs, no politics, nothing but some adults discussing a serious issue with out going up into flames. Well done people, very well done. [B-o]


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37270
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:07 am
 


<3

Logical debate demands a dispassionate look a the facts. ;)

It has no place for insults. [B-o]


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9445
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:23 am
 


In this case mental illness is a cop out Yaniv is a Pedophile / Predator.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.