Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:21 am

peck420 peck420:
FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
Her speech was effectively the same talking points I've heard before when I saw it on CTV News. I still maintain that while she believes what she say, I can't help get the inkling that some unscrupulous adults are exploiting her; a sixteen-year-old with Aspergers, OCD, and history of depression and anxiety is a perfect human shield.

I don't think she had any idea what kind of viper pit she had marched with, until it was far too late to go back.

Just my take on it.

Agreed, there was a couple times the camera focussed on her, and it looked like she was thinking, "I thought this march was about the climate emergency, not indigenous rights."

Indigenous groups there totally hijacked the event and their lack of organization was terrible.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:35 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I saw them gathering outside my building. They pretty much blocked the street when they marched. Main streets, too. Shamelessly. ;)

The counter protest was, useless. Driving through the city, honking. What solutions were they offering? What was their platform? They didn't speak, just drove around honking. Useless.

I drove through the protest as it was ending too. The people were very courteous, crossing only on lights, and trying to be quick about it. Most took transit. The counter protest seemed to like blocking intersections and getting people pissed off.

Quite a difference in their methods. One was definitely more effective.

Saw one guy on the news, complaining that his oilfield company may have to close if things don't pick up. But the two growth industries in Alberta are decommissioning old wells, and renewable energy. Seems he'd rather be pissed off with children than retrain and re-tool to prevent a problem he sees coming.

What if there is no next Oil Boom left? What's he going to do then?

Frankly, I thought the counter protest got off easy - I was expecting a huge black eye for Alberta when they confronted Greta and everyone else (just like the Extinction Rebellion protest a couple weeks ago). Instead, they came off like petulant children and made asses of themselves.

I know lots of Albertans are expecting another oil boom, but odds are we aren't going to get another big one because although oil growth continues, its growth is far slower than in the past. Growth will be slow and incremental because short of a war wiping out all the oil in the Middle East, the odds that oil will ever surpass $100/barrel is very low - and that's the price Alberta needs for more investment in huge oilsands projecs.

Odds are, Albertans are going to keep their heads in the sand about oil being a sunset product until oil sands production is too expensive to compete on the world market, and then the province's economy will collapse and we'll wind up looking like the Rust Belt in the US. I shouldn't be too surprised, lots of places (Egypt, Rome, Spain, Great Britain, Mayans, etc.) never realized the end of their golden era was coming to an end.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:44 am

Not all of Canada. Just the wailing toddlers of British Columbia and Quebec. No need to treat these provinces like adults. Canadian crude sells at below market value because it is landlocked and it is these two provinces that hold the rest of the country back.

I was born in Montreal and now live in Québec City... French is my mother-tongue.

I've never met anyone say something negative about Alberta, or about the pipe line?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:56 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
peck420 peck420:
I watched this via CTV live stream.

Everyone there made it into an absolute embarrassment for their own side.

It was highly entertaining.

I saw them gathering outside my building. They pretty much blocked the street when they marched. Main streets, too. Shamelessly. ;)

The counter protest was, useless. Driving through the city, honking. What solutions were they offering? What was their platform? They didn't speak, just drove around honking. Useless.

I drove through the protest as it was ending too. The people were very courteous, crossing only on lights, and trying to be quick about it. Most took transit. The counter protest seemed to like blocking intersections and getting people pissed off.

Quite a difference in their methods. One was definitely more effective.

Saw one guy on the news, complaining that his oilfield company may have to close if things don't pick up. But the two growth industries in Alberta are decommissioning old wells, and renewable energy. Seems he'd rather be pissed off with children than retrain and re-tool to prevent a problem he sees coming.

What if there is no next Oil Boom left? What's he going to do then?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:04 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Indigenous groups there totally hijacked the event and their lack of organization was terrible.

"White people to the back."

Did you see that? It's at the 2 minute mark of the top video above.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:18 am

raydan raydan:

I've never met anyone say something negative about Alberta, or about the pipe line?

Your politicians, Liberals/BQ/provincial ones alike, seem to especially hate us. That they get elected then re-elected would indicate that being anti-Alberta is beneficial for them.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:21 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
Probably what he has always done, blame the ROC!

Not all of Canada. Just the wailing toddlers of British Columbia and Quebec. No need to treat these provinces like adults. Canadian crude sells at below market value because it is landlocked and it is these two provinces that hold the rest of the country back.

Well, certainly we know he won’t blame himself for lack of planning.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:28 am

raydan raydan:

I was born in Montreal and now live in Québec City... French is my mother-tongue.

Same here, except I was born in TO and have lived in the west for 45 years. Lots of negative talk against the ROC in the west and none from people from the ROC against Alberta.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanos Thanos:
raydan raydan:

Your politicians, Liberals/BQ/provincial ones alike, seem to especially hate us. That they get elected then re-elected would indicate that being anti-Alberta is beneficial for them.

Maybe pipelines are very far down on the list if what we vote for.

As for me, I don't really see advantage of shipping crude from the middle east by boat to Montreal over a pipeline from the West.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:30 pm

$1:
As for me, I don't really see advantage of shipping crude from the middle east by boat to Montreal over a pipeline from the West.

Why if I drive to the next town. I'll see 1,000 grazing sheep but no grocery chain carries anything but Australian/New Zealand lamb?
Where are the fucking apples from the Okanagan? The 80,000 tons of them? Why are the ones in the store from Peru or Chile or the USA?
How is it cheaper to truck frozen half baked donuts from a warehouse in Toronto to Timmies in Prince Rupert than make fresh ones there?

Glad to see someone contemplating the great mysteries of the universe instead of picking on little girls.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm

I'll add one... why is the f**king maple syrup so damn expensive when we produce 70% of the world's production in Québec... probable because we sell most of it elsewhere. Mind you, the "elsewhere" maple syrup costs them 3 to 5 times more than what we pay here.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:16 pm

R=UP
herbie herbie:
$1:

Why if I drive to the next town. I'll see 1,000 grazing sheep but no grocery chain carries anything but Australian/New Zealand lamb?
Where are the fucking apples from the Okanagan? The 80,000 tons of them? Why are the ones in the store from Peru or Chile or the USA?
How is it cheaper to truck frozen half baked donuts from a warehouse in Toronto to Timmies in Prince Rupert than make fresh ones there?

Glad to see someone contemplating the great mysteries of the universe instead of picking on little girls.

R=UP

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:19 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
R=UP
herbie herbie:
$1:

R=UP

One I can't get my head around is why is fish, caught in Canadian waters shipped to China, processed and shipped back to Safeway in Saskatoon?

And Ray, I fricken love maple syrup!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:06 pm

i talk shit about alberta all the time

aethetically, it's just an ugly province

is this even controversial?

saskatchewan is prettier than alberta. change my view

the politics suck too but i wouldn't even care if the place wasn't a desolate miserable wasteland

the people? i wish them the best, may they escape that desert dustbowl one of these days

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:55 pm

If this arrogant dungheap of a country is the best in the world then I'd truly hate to experience how terrible the rest of them must be. Probably all my fault anyway, what with being effectively immune to the rah-rah "aren't we just super!" bullshit that comes along with being part of a fucking hive-mind.