CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:29 am

Apparently, it is rocket science. *sigh*

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:45 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Really? So you can give me a one line PowerShell command that queries the logs of "nsr.js" that checks for any failed jobs and emails those logs to an address?

>eyes glaze over<

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:04 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

please don't construe my unwillingness to due your job with my inability to do so..

shouldn't you be working ?

o right NOT enough IT people..forgot..

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:06 am

uwish uwish:
bootlegga bootlegga:
uwish uwish:
yeah sucks to have a job...my family has faced three layoffs (in reality, that means fired without cause..no such thing as layoffs in the oil patch) in the past 24 months. So go cry yourself asleep on your wee pillow..cause I just don't care that you as gov employee haven't gotten a raise..

The anger is strong in you...let the dark side of the Force flow through your veins.

Not really angry as an energy worker I have had one raise in 6 years so I don't like being singled out as if only government employees are 'suffering' at least they still have great benefits for the most part. Mine are essentially gone...

The difference between the private sector and public sector (Government of Alberta) is a choice in money/career or work/life balance.

The public sector employees I know would make vastly more money if they went to the private sector, but consciously choose to work in the public sector to have a better life balance and/or serve the public. Further, NONE of the public sector employees I know have received a raise in close to a decade, unless they got a promotion to a new role with additional responsibilities.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:08 am

very true, good points.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:18 am

uwish uwish:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

please don't construe my unwillingness to due your job with my inability to do so..

shouldn't you be working ?

o right NOT enough IT people..forgot..

I construe it as unable to prove your own point that it isn't rocket science. You can't answer the question because of my point, how much technology has advanced since line printers and punch cards.

And I am working. I'm doing the work of 3 people, because I've automated my job. I post here while the scripts are running.

bootlegg bootlegg:

The public sector employees I know would make vastly more money if they went to the private sector, but consciously choose to work in the public sector to have a better life balance and/or serve the public. Further, NONE of the public sector employees I know have received a raise in close to a decade, unless they got a promotion to a new role with additional responsibilities.

Funny too that people will see entering the public sector as a failure, but choosing to serve their country in the Armed Forces as 'honourable'.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:20 am

not a whole lot to compare there, unless you mean someone working at my local legislative branch puts their life on the line as a routine course of their duties?

apples ... oranges..but yet both 'public' sector

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:28 am

Why does it take the potential to sacrifice your life for the choice to serve your country to become honourable?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:31 am

simply an explanation of degrees of public service. That is why military service elicits such a public response while other forms does not. Precisely because you are risking your life...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:35 am

Then you don't see, as Boots points out, the sacrifice working for the government takes. Your life may not be in jeopardy every day, but you could have had a better life if you chose not to be a government employee.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:37 am

mmm, that is sort of NOT what he said, if fact I believe he is saying work life balance is better with a gov job...so just how then would your life be so much better NOT working for this wonderful work life balanced government job?

I think the only one not seeing this is you...

"but consciously choose to work in the public sector to have a better life balance.."

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:15 am

uwish uwish:
mmm, that is sort of NOT what he said, if fact I believe he is saying work life balance is better with a gov job...so just how then would your life be so much better NOT working for this wonderful work life balanced government job?

I think the only one not seeing this is you...

"but consciously choose to work in the public sector to have a better life balance.."

But he also said money/career is not as good as a public sector job. Neither is retirement or benefits.

And it's you who doesn't get it. How many times have I told you I have never been a government employee, but somehow you still don't see it?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:57 am

I could care less if you are or not, you sure act like one, I mean seems like your struggling IT field you have lots of free time.

Money is not as good generally in the public sector, but I would argue the benefits are significantly better.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:07 pm

uwish uwish:
Money is not as good generally in the public sector, but I would argue the benefits are significantly better.

Believe what you like, but my sister was in HR for a government ministry, and I know the difference between government benefits and private sector, and private sector are vastly better. Government employees don't make 5 figures on stock benefits, for example. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:18 pm

The only ones safe in the private sector are the executives, Doc. Everyone else is usually walking on eggshells waiting for the axe to fall on them, which it always will eventually