Title: Why Apocalyptic Claims About Climate Change Are Wrong
Category: Environmental
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2019-11-27 11:45:36

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:48 pm

"First, no credible scientific body has ever said climate change threatens the collapse of civilization much less the extinction of the human species. Our children are going to die in the next 10 to 20 years. What's the scientific basis for these claims? BBC's Andrew Neil asked a visibly uncomfortable XR spokesperson last month."

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:03 pm

Yup. Almost all of the Democrats running for President are parroting this line about how we "only have eight to nine years left" and then the world as we know it will end and it will be replaced by a chaotic hell on par with a nuclear apocalypse.

Yet no one can say where this talking point came from. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:07 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Yup. Almost all of the Democrats running for President are parroting this line about how we "only have eight to nine years left" and then the world as we know it will end and it will be replaced by a chaotic hell on par with a nuclear apocalypse.

I'm pretty sure it's based on the 2018 IPCC report states that if emissions aren't reduced enough by 2030, then it will be functionally impossible to stop a minimum rise of 2 degrees by 2100 - and it may be even higher depending on how long it takes to wean modern civilization off fossil fuels.

That 2 degree rise is important because the effects of climate change (sea level rise, coral reef die-off, fisheries collapse, water shortages, extreme weather events, etc.) are predicted to be as much as 50% more severe than if we keep the temperature increase to 1.5 degrees.

The corollary that nobody mentions is that if those things happen, they will cause famines, which will cause wars, which will cause a lot of death and destruction. That is why the Pentagon considers climate change a national security issue and incorporates it into its planning for the future.

The problem with environmentalists is that their statements often sound like on January 2, 2030, life will suddenly become a post-apocalyptic hellscape, when in fact, that dystopian future probably won't hit fully until 2075 or later. That means the majority of Boomers will be long gone and it will be the Millenials and Gen Z who have to deal with all those problems.

I know you don't have kids, but I do and I'd like to know that mine will grow up in a world not beset by extreme weather, famine, war, and death.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:29 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
I know you don't have kids, but I do and I'd like to know that mine will grow up in a world not beset by extreme weather, famine, war, and death.

R=UP

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:52 pm

Oh, I get it!
It does not matter why the glow-bull-anti-climax-war-mongering claims are wrong. As long as the sheeple are convinced that CO2 emissions must be reduced, then all is good!

Newsbot Newsbot:
Over the last four years, my organization, Environmental Progress, has worked with some of the world’s leading climate scientists to prevent carbon emissions from rising. So far, we’ve helped prevent emissions increasing the equivalent of adding 24 million cars to the road.
Michael Shellenberger
Contributor
Energy
I write about energy and the environment.
gate-keeping bull-shiller

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:45 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'm pretty sure it's based on the 2018 IPCC report states that if emissions aren't reduced enough by 2030, then it will be functionally impossible to stop a minimum rise of 2 degrees by 2100 - and it may be even higher depending on how long it takes to wean modern civilization off fossil fuels.

$1:
Nine climate tipping points now 'active,' warn scientists

More than half of the climate tipping points identified a decade ago are now "active", a group of leading scientists have warned.

This threatens the loss of the Amazon rainforest and the great ice sheets of Antarctica and Greenland, which are currently undergoing measurable and unprecedented changes much earlier than expected.

This "cascade" of changes sparked by global warming could threaten the existence of human civilisations.

Evidence is mounting that these events are more likely and more interconnected than was previously thought, leading to a possible domino effect.

In an article in the journal Nature, the scientists call for urgent action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to prevent key tipping points, warning of a worst-case scenario of a "hothouse", less habitable planet.

"A decade ago we identified a suite of potential tipping points in the Earth system, now we see evidence that over half of them have been activated," said lead author Professor Tim Lenton, director of the Global Systems Institute at the University of Exeter.

"The growing threat of rapid, irreversible changes means it is no longer responsible to wait and see. The situation is urgent and we need an emergency response."

https://phys.org/news/2019-11-climate-scientists.html

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:28 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

don't be so pessimistic, there has never been a better time to be alive as a human. All the matrix are moving in the right direction, despite what the alarmists want you to believe there is no extreme weather, Tornado's are dropping

Hurricane frequency is not increasing

and their wind speed isn't increasing

Forest cover is increasing

and the sea level is rising at the same rate is has been in recorded history

There is no man made climate anything it is all linked the sun which ALL climate models negate (along with water vapour)

crops yields are at their highest, world poverty as a whole is at it's lowest EVER

Fires are trending downward...

and one of the longest periods in human history of 'relative' peace.

Good times!

If you want people to care about the environment you need to lift them out of poverty..Pollution and climate are NOT the same things

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:41 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'd like to know that mine will grow up in a world not beset by extreme weather, famine, war, and death.

Really ?

Only a few countries got those benefits in the past 75 years.

The rest of the world got lots of famine, war and death.
And normal weather, which killed a few million over the years.

uwish uwish:
don't be so pessimistic, there has never been a better time to be alive as a human. All the matrix are moving in the right direction, despite what the alarmists want you to believe there is no extreme weather, Tornado's are dropping

Did we even have any serious hurricanes this year ?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:56 am

Martin15 Martin15:

Did we even have any serious hurricanes this year ?

ROTFL

Yea, like that one that flattened the Bahamas, went right up the coast, had it's way with Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, made a right and pummeled the UK?

No, never happened.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am

Oh right, one, that hit one set of islands.

And then how many people died after that ?

Geez, I thought glowbushit warming (TM) was supposed to give 50 hurricanes a year
killing tens of thousands by now. Not a good year for the panic driven Chicken Little tax thieves.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:30 am

Martin15 Martin15:
Geez, I thought glowbushit warming (TM) was supposed to give 50 hurricanes a year
killing tens of thousands by now. Not a good year for the panic driven Chicken Little tax thieves.

Your opinion is irrelevant. Data is king. Despite some cherry picking above, the prediction was hurricanes will become more intense, and more damaging. And they are.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ey ... n-of-2019/

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/b ... rs-context

They are becoming more intense, with greater rainfall.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/w ... ons-111819

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... angladesh/

And in a new development, they are forming farther north than ever before.

https://www.livescience.com/45601-hurri ... poles.html

But you choose to believe:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09 ... naccurate/

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:37 am

just because the cost of some event(s) increase does not mean their severity is increasing. There are more people living in more developments than ever before so any weather related damage is going to cost more.

That does not mean they are more intense nor the numbers increasing. The actual number of server weather events in flat or decreasing..

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 am

uwish uwish:
The actual number of server weather events in flat or decreasing..

No, it's not. Unfortunately, the NOAA is doing maintenance, or I'd show you the exact opposite of your claims.

$1:
Please note: Due to scheduled maintenance, many NCEI systems will be unavailable during the week of 11/25/2019 - 11/29/2019.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/climate-infor ... eme-events

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:04 am

lucky for you let me help

https://ibb.co/8Dzr1QN

direct quote from the 2016 IPCC report "Numerous studies towards and beyond AR5 have reported a decreasing trend in the global number of tropical cyclones and /or the globally accumulated cyclonic energy"

from your own source "In the past 30 years, the total number of storms has remained about the same in the tropics, said lead study author Jim Kossin, a climate scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center"

you really are starting to make yourself look foolish..

https://ibb.co/p6qd0P0

Goes on to say more about other events like flooding and droughts

"there is low agreement in this evidence, and thus overall low confidence at the global scale regarding even the sign of these changes"

from the IPCC reports SR15

Last edited by uwish on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.