Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:13 am

This is pretty fucking stupid.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:18 am

Tricks Tricks:

Why? It makes perfect sense to crack down on the law abiding people, and break your election promise of re-reimbursing them for their legally purchased property, while doing nothing to stop the flow of illegal guns across the southern border, all in the name of one guy who obtained his firearms illegally.

Sarcasm aside, it rings just like the Liberal Long gun registry after the Polytechnic massacre. Window dressing to please the partisans - nothing that makes anyone safer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:32 am

I can't find anything under a .50 that would cross that 10kj threshold. Seems odd to put that in.

There is the .700 NE, but I doubt anyone is using an elephant gun to shoot people.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:08 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Taking away weapons that are classified as 'Restricted' makes no difference to hunters like me. Canada is still as armed as ever.

Exactly and the shootings in Toronto will continue, the out of control maniacs will still shoot up people and the liberal gov't will still claim they're making us safer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:20 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:

Why? It makes perfect sense to crack down on the law abiding people, and break your election promise of re-reimbursing them for their legally purchased property, while doing nothing to stop the flow of illegal guns across the southern border, all in the name of one guy who obtained his firearms illegally.

Sarcasm aside, it rings just like the Liberal Long gun registry after the Polytechnic massacre. Window dressing to please the partisans - nothing that makes anyone safer.

Your post above assumes that all or most crime guns in Canada come from the US which is false. According to some sources, about half of the crime guns that have been traced were legally purchased here in Canada and then stolen or re-sold illegally.

Secondly the argument that Canadian gyn control doesn’t work because guns are smuggled in from the US doesn’t make sense. Obviously, the reason guns have to be smuggled in from the US at great risk to the smuggler is precisely because Canadian gun control DOES work. Criminals wouldn’t be taking chances getting caught at the border and serving long prison sentences for smuggling firearms if they didn’t have to.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:29 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Winnipegger Winnipegger:
The Rugar Mini-14 has 3 primary variants: tactical, ranch, and mini-thirty.

... :roll:

(I don't think he is a proponent of the ban)

No I'm not. During the last election, Liberals proposed stricter gun control. They suggested allowing cities to ban handguns entirely, stricter controls on gun storage, and banning "assault style weapons". I immediately posted on Facebook against this. I have a number of federal cabinet ministers as Facebook friends, so they see what I post. I said Canada already has extremely strict handgun laws and no one is proposing loosening them, so leave that issue alone. Most importantly, blaming legal gun owners for crime is out of line! Police tell us handguns used in crime are illegally smuggled from USA, they don't come from legal gun owners, and don't come from guns stolen from legal gun owners. A few years ago there was an incident at Hay River, Alberta. The river flooded, the town was evacuated. RCMP broke into homes and confiscated long guns (rifles & shotguns). RCMP claimed this was to ensure criminals don't steal them, but the only ones breaking into homes and stealing guns were the RCMP.

Bart is American; he posts here often so may know who the RCMP is, but just to be sure. RCMP are Canada's federal police. Not all provinces have provincial police; in those provinces that don't, RCMP act as provincial police. Not all small towns have a local police force. In Canada, a sheriff is an officer of the court, duty is transporting prisoners and courtroom security. In Canada, sheriff is NOT local police. In towns too small for a local police force, the provincial police serve that role. Where RCMP act as provincial police, RCMP also serve as local police in small towns.

The incident in Hay River was scandalous. Gun owners sued with a class action law suit. The judge ruled in favour of gun owners. The judge's ruling even stated in the case where a rifle is left unsecured sitting on the kitchen table in the open, but the house is locked, police still can't break in to seize the weapon. RCMP had to pay millions of dollars.

My point is this is a very sensitive issue. Don't go there! Notice the Liberals dropped the issue of gun storage immediately after I posted this.

As for "assault style weapons", the media pointed out there is no definition of what that means. At least until Bill Blair's announcement this week. I realize Liberals in Quebec still hurt over Polytechnique, even though it's years. So my suggestion was to make "tactical" rifles illegal, while placing no (additional) restrictions what so ever on ranch style weapons. They're a tool used by hunters and farmers.

My grandparents on my father's side owned a wheat farm. When I was a child, my grandmother ask me and the other young boys to control gofers in the wheat field. Hand a tween a rifle and ask him to kill stuff? Frankly you didn't have to ask twice. My father taught me to shoot. He lent me his bolt action .22 rifle (squirrel rifle). So I know first hand how necessary it is for a farmer to control wildlife.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:37 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:

Your post above assumes that all or most crime guns in Canada come from the US which is false. According to some sources, about half of the crime guns that have been traced were legally purchased here in Canada and then stolen or re-sold illegally.

No, my post assumes that people who comply with gun laws don't commit gun crimes. Are the law abiding citizens doing B&E to steal guns? No. If straw buyers are a problem, crack down on them, don't confiscate $200M in legally purchased property because the government refuses to fund police properly.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Secondly the argument that Canadian gyn control doesn’t work because guns are smuggled in from the US doesn’t make sense. Obviously, the reason guns have to be smuggled in from the US at great risk to the smuggler is precisely because Canadian gun control DOES work. Criminals wouldn’t be taking chances getting caught at the border and serving long prison sentences for smuggling firearms if they didn’t have to.

Circular argument much? Gun control creates the need for a black market in guns which fosters the need for gun control?

Since the 90's when the Liberals brought in the gun registry I have maintained the billions the registry cost us could have been more effectively spent on border controls to prevent the flow of black market guns.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:38 am

Ps. With this lockdown, there will be people who have difficulty getting food. Especially with the beef processing facility in Alberta closed, some fast food restaurants already have difficulty getting enough beef. So now is not the time to make hunting difficult.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:38 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
That can't be conclusively stated one way or another. The police (foolishly or perhaps are incapable) don't trace that kind of statistic well enough.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... f-canadas/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:44 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
Ps. With this lockdown, there will be people who have difficulty getting food. Especially with the beef processing facility in Alberta closed, some fast food restaurants already have difficulty getting enough beef. So now is not the time to make hunting difficult.

Hunting is prohibited with the weapons they are confiscating anyhow.

Except the Mini-14.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:27 am

Politically speaking this is a win for all the partisans:

1) the Libs fulfill some kind of campaign promise they either never had the guts to say out loud or just hint around the edges at
2) the perpetually anti-firearm left is mollified, which will guarantee the NDP and Bloc support the Libs on other issues
3) the Tories get a massive platform plank to rally around for the next couple of elections just by being able to promise to completely reverse the Lib rules the same way Stephen Harper got to with the hated long-gun registry
4) the ridings that are typically Tory get cemented even further, because they'll practically be up in arms already over how much the Libs have over-reacted
5) lawyers are happy, because if the pro-firearms side has any brains they'll take all of this to court the same way the anti-oil kooks have kept stymieing pipeline development - that court system and Charter of Rights is a gold-mine just waiting to be exploited to the fullest in non-stop lawsuits by whoever has the monetary resources and will to endlessly pursue them

Win-win-win all around, if one takes the cynical viewpoint of it. And believe me, each and every single one of those goddamn politicians is just as cynical and exploitative as you can imagine they are. A lot of lawyers are going to be putting their own kids through law school with the money they and their firms will be making off of the court challenges.

:wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:16 pm

What makes you think guns are a right/left issue?
People in the cities don't need a gun and us people in the boonies only tolerate city hunters to milk them of their money.
Besides, squawk all you want:
Four-in-five Canadians support complete ban on civilian possession of assault style weapons
http://angusreid.org/assault-weapons-ban/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:23 pm

herbie herbie:
Besides, squawk all you want:
Four-in-five Canadians support complete ban on civilian possession of assault style weapons
http://angusreid.org/assault-weapons-ban/

Poll people about guns after a national tragedy, and you'll get that kind of reaction. What do you think the numbers would be if they knew none of the weapons used were legally obtained?

It's low of Trudeau to take advantage of the raw feelings to deprive people of their legally obtained property while doing nothing to fix the actual problem.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Politically speaking this is a win for all the partisans:

1) the Libs fulfill some kind of campaign promise they either never had the guts to say out loud or just hint around the edges at
2) the perpetually anti-firearm left is mollified, which will guarantee the NDP and Bloc support the Libs on other issues
3) the Tories get a massive platform plank to rally around for the next couple of elections just by being able to promise to completely reverse the Lib rules the same way Stephen Harper got to with the hated long-gun registry
4) the ridings that are typically Tory get cemented even further, because they'll practically be up in arms already over how much the Libs have over-reacted
5) lawyers are happy, because if the pro-firearms side has any brains they'll take all of this to court the same way the anti-oil kooks have kept stymieing pipeline development - that court system and Charter of Rights is a gold-mine just waiting to be exploited to the fullest in non-stop lawsuits by whoever has the monetary resources and will to endlessly pursue them

Win-win-win all around, if one takes the cynical viewpoint of it. And believe me, each and every single one of those goddamn politicians is just as cynical and exploitative as you can imagine they are. A lot of lawyers are going to be putting their own kids through law school with the money they and their firms will be making off of the court challenges.

:wink:

Don't forget the gang-bangers who will see be able commit shootings with more or less the same frequency because the Libs are too focused on symbolic action. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:50 pm

A drop in the violent crime rate isn't what's intended with this mess. What's wanted is some kind of grand prize in virtue signalling.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  Next