Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:49 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
And where does it say they can use semi-auto rifles while no one else can?

Strawman.

If you take away the rifles they already have, you deny them their constitutional rights.
Actually nobody is having their rifles taken away, I misspoke. If you already own any on the latest list you can keep them. The prohibition is on future buying and selling of them. So what constitutional right are they being denied by also not being allowed to purchase those types of firearms anymore while still being allowed to keep the ones they have and can still purchase other legal hunting rifles?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:01 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Enough is enough. I want one of the anti gun crowd on here who've been so vehemently defending this gun grab to explain why their "you don't need a semi automatic rifle to hunt" whine only applies to white people?

What possible rational could there be to give natives semi automatic weapons "for hunting" while denying that same right to other Canadians. Oh wait. They must need "assault rifles" so they don't end up over represented in prison.

R=UP R=UP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And where does it say they can use semi-auto rifles while no one else can?

Strawman.

If you take away the rifles they already have, you deny them their constitutional rights.
Actually nobody is having their rifles taken away, I misspoke. If you already own any on the latest list you can keep them. The prohibition is on future buying and selling of them. So what constitutional right are they being denied by also not being allowed to purchase those types of firearms anymore while still being allowed to keep the ones they have and can still purchase other legal hunting rifles?

If it's illegal to use them, they still are denied their constitutional right to hunt. And, again, not everyone who hunts for subsistence can afford new guns and ammo.

It's not like they will be able to sell them to help buy that shiny new rifle.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:11 am

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
As someone who supports Native peoples' right to hunt, I'll just come out and say that this whole ban is probably a bad idea.

How much of an American-style militia/gun culture do we even have up here? The closest I can probably think of is the FLQ, and they used bombs, not guns. I'm just a city slicker so I may be misinformed, but from everything I've seen rural Canadians generally are far more likely to use their long guns for hunting their food and/or pest control in keeping wild animals like coyotes away from their livestock.

Remember when Stephen Harper repealed the requirement for non-restricted guns to be registered? That was in 2009 when he only had a minority government, but he pulled it off with the help of 8 Liberals and 12 New Democrats who broke with their party leaderships. That sort of thing doesn't happen often in a Canada where party discipline is usually so strict, so I can only imagine how much of an earful those Opposition MPs were getting from their constituents.

Besides, wasn't there a lot of talk about 10-15 years ago of the fact that the real threat was all the handguns being smuggled up here from the United States? Whatever happened with that?

And just for the record, every single Albertan who identifies as a conservative I've ever asked supports the public healthcare system. Every single conservative Albertan I've ever asked, many of whom own long guns, also support the handgun registry that's been in place for nearly 45 years. Trudeau the elder passed it in 1976, and while people have been pissed off about the long gun registry I've never heard anybody complain about having to register a handgun.

The ban just gives rural Canadians another headache to deal with, and the way Trudeau's handled it only drives more wedges between Indigenous people and the rest of us.

Well put, Jared.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:15 am

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
As someone who supports Native peoples' right to hunt, I'll just come out and say that this whole ban is probably a bad idea.

How much of an American-style militia/gun culture do we even have up here? The closest I can probably think of is the FLQ, and they used bombs, not guns. I'm just a city slicker so I may be misinformed, but from everything I've seen rural Canadians generally are far more likely to use their long guns for hunting their food and/or pest control in keeping wild animals like coyotes away from their livestock.

Remember when Stephen Harper repealed the requirement for non-restricted guns to be registered? That was in 2009 when he only had a minority government, but he pulled it off with the help of 8 Liberals and 12 New Democrats who broke with their party leaderships. That sort of thing doesn't happen often in a Canada where party discipline is usually so strict, so I can only imagine how much of an earful those Opposition MPs were getting from their constituents.

Besides, wasn't there a lot of talk about 10-15 years ago of the fact that the real threat was all the handguns being smuggled up here from the United States? Whatever happened with that?

And just for the record, every single Albertan who identifies as a conservative I've ever asked supports the public healthcare system. Every single conservative Albertan I've ever asked, many of whom own long guns, also support the handgun registry that's been in place for nearly 45 years. Trudeau the elder passed it in 1976, and while people have been pissed off about the long gun registry I've never heard anybody complain about having to register a handgun.

The ban just gives rural Canadians another headache to deal with, and the way Trudeau's handled it only drives more wedges between Indigenous people and the rest of us.

Yes I agree with this. The reason for excluding indigenous peoples probably centres around the Crown's obligation to consult. Without consultation, the law would be struck down by any court, I would imagine. Doesn't look like the federal government consulted with anybody.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 pm

Last edited by PluggyRug on Wed May 06, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
JaredMilne JaredMilne:

Consultation took place, most of it was ignored by the government.

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrc ... ex-en.aspx

Yes I agree with this. The reason for excluding indigenous peoples probably centres around the Crown's obligation to consult. Without consultation, the law would be struck down by any court, I would imagine. Doesn't look like the federal government consulted with anybody.

Consultation took place, most of which was ignored by the government.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:18 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

Consultation took place, most of which was ignored by the government.

Thanks for that.

(1) Consultation must be meaningful. From the Supreme Court: Meaningful consultation “entails testing and being prepared to amend policy proposals in the light of information received, and providing feedback.”

(2) The initiative was labelled as "engagement" not "consultation"

(3) The engagement sessions had very limited First Nations participation.

But agreed, it wasn't much of a "consultation" and there isn't much evidence that it was "meaningful" for anybody.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:45 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

If it's illegal to use them, they still are denied their constitutional right to hunt.
They are? I don't think so.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And, again, not everyone who hunts for subsistence can afford new guns and ammo.
Soooo the govt isn't going with a buy-back program? Was that just another bullshit lie from Team Trudope?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:57 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

If it's illegal to use them, they still are denied their constitutional right to hunt.
They are? I don't think so.

Why not? if you only have one rifle, and the government says you can't use it, why do you think your right to hunt is not being taken away?

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And, again, not everyone who hunts for subsistence can afford new guns and ammo.
Soooo the govt isn't going with a buy-back program? Was that just another bullshit lie from Team Trudope?

Would it surprise you that politicians lie?