Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:37 am

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And spending huge sums to create our own police force, and penalties for pulling out of the CPP to create our own smaller pension plan (that most people at the town hall meetings rejected) does nothing to address that colonial attitude.

It also does nothing to trim the size of the civil service, which would increase if we did these things. The UCP's already cut taxes, so where's the extra cash coming from? Do they have any kind of idea besides just praying for yet another oil boom and then promising, on a stack of Bibles and with sugar on top, that they won't piss this one away?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Criticize Rachel Notley all you want, but she at least tried to make our finances less reliant on the ups and downs of oil prices. Increasing taxes was always going to be a difficult sell, but she said outright she was planning to increase income taxes for the rich in 2015.

Meanwhile, when the oil money dries up and the cuts come...well, that opens the door to problems like what Thanos talked about.

Some of our problems are caused by external factors, whether it's federal legislation or the free market fucking us over, but we're the architects of some of our own misfortune.

Thanos Thanos:
1) Rachel Notley was the best premier we had since Peter Lougheed.

2) I can't see where a single thing the Kenney government has done will make things better when the bill comes due, but I can certainly see how most of what they've done will make things that much worse.

3) We're fucked, like totally. :|

That fact that both of you are likely correct makes me really :(.

There are times when I just want to say fuck it and move out of Alberta, but if we all do that, Kenney and his bunch of cronies win completely. At least if I stay, I can be a pain in the ass. :twisted: