Category: Political
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2020-08-18 08:14:41
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:16 am

ahh, our journey to a banana republic is almost complete!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:04 am

uwish uwish:
ahh, our journey to a banana republic is almost complete!

Did you say the same when Harper prorogued Parliament in 2008 or 2009 when his government was facing problems?

FWIW, I don't agree with any of these three (or others due to political issues) - I think if a government is facing a scandal, it should face the music instead of running away and hoping it blows over.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:04 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Did you say the same when Harper prorogued Parliament in 2008 or 2009 when his government was facing problems?

I don't recall PM Harper proroguing Parliament due to three consecutive violations of ethics, numerous scandals, billions of taxpayer dollars being handed to 'charities' and friends, nor because he wouldn't answer questions in the House about hardly ever being in Parliament for a vote because he was too busy taking 'personal time'.

:idea:

-J.

Last edited by CDN_PATRIOT on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:22 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
I don't recall PM Harper proroguing Parliament due to three consecutive violations of ethics, numerous scandals, billions of taxpayer dollars being handed to 'charities' and friends, nor because he wouldn't answer questions in the House about hardly ever being in Parliament for a vote because he was too busy taking 'personal time'.

:idea:

-J.

Harper initiated the Office of the Ethics Commissioner before he left office, so it's kind of hard for him to be subject to it now, isn't it?

Harper had plenty of his own scandals, if you'd care to look them up. Vic Towes and his conflict of interest problems, putting out legislation that government lawyers told him would be unconstitutional - then having the Supreme Court find them unconstitutional; personal attacks on the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court; Keystone XL; Muzzling Scientists; burning libraries.

People have short memories.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 pm

An interesting side note. While watching the news a minute ago they had a political commentator come on and give his opinion about the proroguing of parliament.

Well, during his interview it came to light that when Parliament is Prorogued all committees stop including the ones investigating the WE scandal. He also said that when Parliament starts up again they can resume their investigations.

I'm sorry but that doesn't cut it. This prorguing of Parliament by the Liberals and Trudeau is being done with a specific political goal and it's pretty obvious what it is.

Whenever you allow an investigation to lapse for any length of time your perpetrators have the ability to formulate an alibi or in this case excuse, witnesses tend to forget or lose the ability to accurately remember what they saw or heard and a goodly portion of the general population who, in this day and age have the attention spans of nats tend to move on from the reason for the investigation. All things that the Liberals think will get Trudeau off the hook so he will never be held to account for another in a long line of his ethics violations that would put a normal person in jail.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:21 pm

I hate to be the 'but Harper did it too' guy, but he prorogued parliament when the opposition was going to join together to oust the minority Conservatives. Not unlike Trudeau today.

It's just a tool in their toolbox.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:29 pm

Harper did do it but 2 wrongs do not make a right. Justin is just running out the clock.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I hate to be the 'but Harper did it too' guy, but he prorogued parliament when the opposition was going to join together to oust the minority Conservatives. Not unlike Trudeau today.

It's just a tool in their toolbox.

Agreed. It was shady af when Harper did it. And it’s no less shady now that Trudeau is doing it.

MPs tried to open the lid
On WE and what Liberals did.
Unhappy with them,
Trudeau, the PM,
Said “parliament’s over” and hid.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:56 am

Scape Scape:
Harper did do it but 2 wrongs do not make a right. Justin is just running out the clock.

Oh, believe me, I won't call anything Harper did 'right', anymore than I would Trudeau. Or whoever comes next. (Hopefully Lewis)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:30 am

Well when it comes back, there will be a Throne Speech and they can all vote no confidence.
Harper didn't do that, did he?

C'mon put your money where your mouth is ppl. Call Singh and Andrew Sneer and demand an election! Here's the chance to fuck things up even more.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:53 pm

I detest Trudeau but I genuinely hope that anyone who pushes for an election this year ends up losing most of their seats. Now is not the time for this nonsense.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Exactly why Trudeau did it!
Now I hope Singh has enough brains to STFU and sit down. Be nice to see a beneficial idea come out of the NDP instead of just tag along yapping.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:54 pm

Once again we can see why the GG should not be appointed by the PM. Any prorogation preceded by even a hint of parliamentary controversy (and we’ve more than that here) looks fishy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:49 am

herbie herbie:
Well when it comes back, there will be a Throne Speech and they can all vote no confidence.
Harper didn't do that, did he?

C'mon put your money where your mouth is ppl. Call Singh and Andrew Sneer and demand an election! Here's the chance to fuck things up even more.

Thanos Thanos:
I detest Trudeau but I genuinely hope that anyone who pushes for an election this year ends up losing most of their seats. Now is not the time for this nonsense.

R=UP to both of you.

Yes, this is dirty politics, but the middle of a pandemic is not the time to fuck things up by sending 18 million Canadians to the polls so it can spread even wider - it's bad enough that almost every politician in the country is willing to put 10 million kids into a COVID-19 petri dish in an attempt to get kickstart the economy.