Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:30 pm

uwish uwish:
bootlegga bootlegga:
I'd say a little bit of both is in order...

hard to ramp up royalties when oil and gas companies are reporting losses and or undergoing curtailment, plus even when the NDP were in and did there royalty review they fully admitted it's pretty good the way it is.

Well, if the NDP was 'right' on royalty, maybe most of the rest that they did was correct too, right?

/sarcasm

Royalties are paid no matter what - it might not be a silver bullet, but oil companies pay royalties regardless of world prices, i.e. if you extract 100,000 barrels of oil, you pay X% per barrel.

If they can't handle 1% more per barrel, then it's time to cut off the BILLIONS of dollars in subsidies handed out in the past two budgets that created ZERO new jobs, and instead went to shareholders. I generally don't have a too much of a problem with tax cuts IF they lead to new jobs and investment, but they didn't this go-round, so it's time to claw them back.

The next round of tax cuts should be targeted only at NEW investment/equipment in Alberta - so no NEW investment, no tax cut.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:45 pm

uwish uwish:
well says you, if the NDP said the current royalty regime was good I will take their word for it. But please, tell me about this highly corporate friendly royalty scheme..please do educate us on your vast knowledge. Or is this another case of facts don't care about your feelings?

Well I could point out the case of Norway where they have less oil, but have somehow found the money to give their citizens 300,000Kr and squirrel away $1Tr dollars. Yet somehow, the best Albertans got was a one time $450 cheque and a $17bn dollar rainy day fund that the politicians raid like it's a cookie pantry.

Of course the NDP will say everything is fine, they didn't want to scare off already scared O&G companies.

I'm sure you'll point out the difference in rainy day funds is because of equalisation payments. But we've only paid the rest of Canada ~$400Bn, so where is the other $600Bn if our royalty scheme was so fair?

If you believe the UCP has your interests in mind you are a fool.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:55 pm

I think you have those equalization # backwards...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:00 pm

that your argument? my equalisation payments are backwards? Ok, where is the $400Bn?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:46 pm

At it's "best" the UCP is a front to re-do failed Reform Party economics from the 1990's.

At it's worst the UCP is a front to full-scale introduce MAGA-style politics into Alberta by exploiting an already frightened and incredibly pissed off populace.

I see shadows of both in most UCP actions since they won that election. I do have some residual hope that their agenda is failing, given how angry people are about their war on the doctors, and that they're barely running neck-and-neck with the NDP in recent polling. If they thought that they'd have a slam-dunk going on right now then they've been badly surprised, and it shows that they should open up their damn ears to other voices and fresh input instead of just listening to the perpetually enraged rural portion of their caucus who are trapped into that angry-farmer mode from the Wildrose Party days.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:02 pm

llama66 llama66:
that your argument? my equalisation payments are backwards? Ok, where is the $400Bn?

there are lots of reasons..

https://thenarwhal.ca/norway-s-oil-savi ... t-s-gives/

This has most of them wrapped up for you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm

it does, but my point is the royalty scheme has to change. There will probably never be another boom time for Alberta, at least for O&G.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 am

While this recession is longer than usual, pre pandemic the world was at it's highest level of oil consumption on record. There is much life left in O&G