CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:18 am

Nope.

Bad drivers are a plague.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am

Yeah, it's bullshit. Trucks are merely more noticeable. The real jerks and dangerous pricks are the ones in the high-end Audis & BMWs and such. Same as it ever was, really. Sport engine still equals incredibly small brain + really selfish attitude.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 am

And kids with trucks, or those type A's with the jacked up Cowboy Cadillac who drive aggressively.

Kind of too bad there aren't many facts in the opinion piece.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:34 am

The vast majority of truck drivers aren't like that though. But the vast majority of Audi and BMW drivers certainly are. And far too many van drivers too, especially Dodge van drivers who I still maintain are the absolute most obnoxious tailgaters out of all the vehicles out there.

I wouldn't have a truck right now for only one reason, and that's the price of fuel. Spending $145-plus every ten days to fill up a 100 litre tank is far too cost prohibitive. And it looks highly unlikely we'll ever see fuel down around $1.00 per litre ever again in this country, including in Alberta. Yes, the trucks aren't meant for daily city driving on dry roads. It's not my decision though on what someone else can or cannot buy for a vehicle. Or anyone else's decision to make for others, especially some Toronto-based 'riter donkey who thinks his adventures there equal what's right for the entire country.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 am

Frankly, I'm surprised it took someone so long to come out and say this - I mentioned the very same thing to Gunnair way back in the day.

This is the problem:

This isn't:

Trucks definitely have their purposes, for tradespeople, for towing/hauling, but far too many trucks are really just huge SUVs that owners drive to work and park, then drive home again, often all by themselves.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:39 am

Thanos Thanos:
Yeah, it's bullshit. Trucks are merely more noticeable. The real jerks and dangerous pricks are the ones in the high-end Audis & BMWs and such. Same as it ever was, really. Sport engine still equals incredibly small brain + really selfish attitude.

I agree that there are lots of aggressive asshole drivers, but the difference is when I'm being tailgated by an asshole in a BMW or Audi on the highway, I don't feel like my life is in danger the way it really is when some asshole in a Ram 2500 is sitting two feet off my bumper is.

Stats back this up too, because in most years in Alberta, the most common vehicle in an injury/fatal collision is a pick-up truck.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:46 am

I found it to be the opposite during my highway days. I was in the truck in the right lane doing the limit or about 10 kph over and I was the one ALWAYS getting tailgated by some piece of shit in a car or van who was too genuinely fucking stupid to get into the completely empty left lane to pass me.

The particularly vehicle being driven essentially means nothing. The reckless, brain-dead, or outright malicious driver with an IQ smaller than that of a fucking squirrel will always be the main factor in on-road mayhem & carnage.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:58 am

Trucks and guns don't kill people, people kill people.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:53 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Trucks definitely have their purposes, for tradespeople, for towing/hauling, but far too many trucks are really just huge SUVs that owners drive to work and park, then drive home again, often all by themselves.

Trucks and SUVs are a major source of profit for car companies. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Myself, I wouldn't have a truck if I could find something else to do what I want. Nothing else lets me tow trailers, or go to the wood lot, or the home center and move things. And I would prefer a 2WD 2 door cab with a full size bed for that, but it's a special order to get these unless some corporate order is not taken.

All you can get that has a towing package are the higher end, 4 door crew cab short boxes. :(

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:54 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I found it to be the opposite during my highway days. I was in the truck in the right lane doing the limit or about 10 kph over and I was the one ALWAYS getting tailgated by some piece of shit in a car or van who was too genuinely fucking stupid to get into the completely empty left lane to pass me.

Usually so close you can't even see them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:01 pm

We should also be factoring in a near complete lack of law enforcement on the streets and highways at any given time in this country, especially here in free-for-all Alberta where being a total dickbag on the roads is effectively another right. Too much landscape, too many jerk-offs, and far too few police to make a meaningful difference. I hope to live to see high-speed autonomous drones chasing speeders & tailgaters around someday, snapping pictures of both the license plate and the driver as well, just to teach the selfish bastards a lesson. Not enough human police? Well, hire about a hundred thousand flying robots to do the job then. Bring on Judge Dredd and zero-tolerance Mega City One IMO, because what some people do with their freedoms & privileges is getting too nauseating to tolerate for very much longer. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:22 pm

I use mine to haul bales of hay. lulz. Also I drive a Dodge Caravan. I find Audi drivers are the worst. It must be their marketing--it must subliminally really appeal to assholes.

Also, these huge SUVs, always shown in car commercials doing something totally illegal like driving down stream beds or whatever. Just penis extensions.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:29 pm

Thanos Thanos:

The particularly vehicle being driven essentially means nothing. The reckless, brain-dead, or outright malicious driver with an IQ smaller than that of a fucking squirrel will always be the main factor in on-road mayhem & carnage.

Anecdotal evidence is just that - anecdotal.

Provincial stats show that from 2011 to 2018, in all but two years, trucks were in more fatal crashes than cars were, despite the fact that in most of those years, the registered number of cars was higher than the registered number of trucks.

https://open.alberta.ca/publications/al ... sion-facts

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:31 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Trucks and SUVs are a major source of profit for car companies. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Myself, I wouldn't have a truck if I could find something else to do what I want. Nothing else lets me tow trailers, or go to the wood lot, or the home center and move things. And I would prefer a 2WD 2 door cab with a full size bed for that, but it's a special order to get these unless some corporate order is not taken.

All you can get that has a towing package are the higher end, 4 door crew cab short boxes. :(

If you actually need and use a pick-up, then you're NOT part of the problem, it's the highway princesses in their souped trucks that don't utilize their towing/hauling capabilities.

I also agree with you on the sales angle - the last time I went to buy a new vehicle, the salesman kept talking about horsepower, torque, and all sorts of other shit, when I told him I only cared about fuel economy and third row seating.

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I use mine to haul bales of hay. lulz. Also I drive a Dodge Caravan. I find Audi drivers are the worst. It must be their marketing--it must subliminally really appeal to assholes.

Also, these huge SUVs, always shown in car commercials doing something totally illegal like driving down stream beds or whatever. Just penis extensions.

I also own a Caravan because I need the third row seating to fit my family, and it sure comes in handy for camping trips, bringing stuff home from Ikea, and the bi-weekly Costco trip. However, I may need to get an SUV in the future because we're thinking of getting a small camping trailer (my old knees ain't what they used to be). If that day comes, it will be only as much as I need and not any more.