PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:21 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:05 am

raydan raydan:
bootlegga bootlegga:
The operative word is 'threaten'.

Never threaten unless you're ready to go through with it.

I'd have ZERO problem with boycotting the 2022 Olympics, and I think a lot of Canadians (although I'm not sure it's a majority) would agree.

This is our big chance to take 'face' away from an increasingly authoritarian China. It would no doubt result in additional trade issues and other problems, but the only way to stand up to bullies is to confront them. Letting them hit you over and over just gets you hurt worse.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:07 am

Thanos Thanos:
Now how about we do something to dissuade Canadians from travelling to China at all, just so the entire country doesn't get taken hostage when the Chinese government decides to play more of their authoritarian games with us by having more Canadian visitors arrested on completely bogus charges. Why do we all have to go riding to the rescue of these fools who willingly go to countries where they know that anything can (and will) happen to them? :evil:

The Two Michaels were visiting China, they were living and working there, but I agree that Canada should issue a travel advisory to Canadians to avoid travel to China - just like China did for Canada last year:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.5638696

This sordid mess shows that this was hostage diplomacy pure and simple, and I don't think it's safe for Canadians to travel or work in China in the near term.

If Xi is ever replaced, sanity may prevail, but as long as Xi is at he helm, they are only going to drift further and further away from international norms and more towards authoritarianism.

Edit - I just checked the Global Affairs Canada website and it has this warning for China:

$1:
China - Exercise a high degree of caution

Exercise a high degree of caution in China due to the risk of arbitrary enforcement of local laws.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china

Last edited by bootlegga on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:12 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
I disagree with Saint-Jacques idea of being 'strategic' and 'restrained' when it comes to China. Stand up to them now and forcibly confront them any time they try something, and watch how fast they go back into line.

The time for kid gloves is over when it comes to China.

-J.

Agreed, we need to step up as a country, but I won't hold my breath that it will happen, because all the parties have cozied up to China, including the previous Conservative one.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 am

China says Canada must 'draw lessons' from the Meng Wanzhou case

Yeah, that China isn't safe for Canadians and we need to boycott the 2022 Olympics.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:22 pm

And we can't have Huawei 5G, our supply chain needs a total overhaul from PPE to food to antibiotics. Our trade and laws on IP need a review.

I could go on, an on, and on but this isn't China that's the root of this. You don't blame a bear for eating your trash just as much as you get mad at the rain for getting wet. We MADE CHINA into what it is and now the monster, via Wal-Mart/Amazon/Apple/Google, is now eating us alive.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:42 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:54 pm

China claims Kovrig, Spavor freed for health reasons

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:57 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:15 pm

xerxes xerxes:

My thoughts exactly!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:45 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
raydan raydan:
bootlegga bootlegga:
The operative word is 'threaten'.

Never threaten unless you're ready to go through with it.

I'd have ZERO problem with boycotting the 2022 Olympics, and I think a lot of Canadians (although I'm not sure it's a majority) would agree.

One boycott will justify others. If you want one, you have to accept all the other boycotts that people want to pursue, at which point we’ll have to give up the Olympics altogether.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:56 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

China can fuck off.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
bootlegga bootlegga:

One boycott will justify others. If you want one, you have to accept all the other boycotts that people want to pursue, at which point we’ll have to give up the Olympics altogether.

The difference is that China is dangerous for our citizens, Global Affairs website even says so:

$1:
China - Exercise a high degree of caution

Exercise a high degree of caution in China due to the risk of arbitrary enforcement of local laws.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china

It sounds to me like the prudent thing to do would be to warn Canadian athletes not ot go to China. Who knows when the next kidnapping of Canadian citizens by the Chinese government will take place?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:41 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

This is our big chance to take 'face' away from an increasingly authoritarian China. It would no doubt result in additional trade issues and other problems, but the only way to stand up to bullies is to confront them. Letting them hit you over and over just gets you hurt worse.

I'm in agreement with that. Screw the 2022 Olympics. It's not worth it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:45 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:

I'm fine with that.