canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=29599" target="_blank">Ottawa wants to dismantle Wheat Board: farmers</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/17-business" target="_blank">Business</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=kitty" target="_blank">kitty</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2008-01-29 08:50:01
<strong>Canadian</strong>

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Ottawa can pound salt.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:03 pm

well not a great article or one which had bothered to include opinions of farmers on the other side of issue.

i suspect farmers are divived on the issue with some wanting wheat board and others who are prepared to see it leave them alone and let them sell there own grains .

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:59 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
well not a great article or one which had bothered to include opinions of farmers on the other side of issue.
You mean American farmers?

ryan29 ryan29:
i suspect farmers are divived on the issue with some wanting wheat board and others who are prepared to see it leave them alone and let them sell there own grains .
Farmers elect the board members. There are plenty of people to vote for who would like to see the end of the wheat board. Pro-board, pro single desk members keep getting elected. So you would suspect that means the majority of farmers want the single desk system.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:08 pm

The simple fact that a farmer from the West can face prison time for selling his own wheat is reason enough for the board to be dismantled.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:27 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
The simple fact that a farmer from the West can face prison time for selling his own wheat is reason enough for the board to be dismantled.

Fallicy.

The Board can remain, and the requirement to sell to the board can be removed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:30 pm

I love how they added this in there just to get your attention.
$1:
They say it's the start of a slope that could see the government do away with marketing boards, medicare and the CBC.
Of course all of this is just the opinion of some farmers.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:37 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Fallicy.

Fallicy.

There is single desk, and there is open market. In between does not exist.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:52 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
And this issue affects you how?

Because those farmers took a stand, changes were made. Farmers were given control of the board. Now that they have control, Harper and co want to get rid of it.

I don't think you are up to speed on the issue, and I suspect it doesn't really affect you anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:01 pm

u.S. big business has taken the wheat board to court 11 times in various cases. It has cost the farmers dearly to defend themselves - millions. As soon as Harper got elected, he attacked the wheat board. Whose he working for? the US or Canadians?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Robair Robair:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Fallicy.

Fallicy.

Ha! I see your double fallicy and raise you an incongruity! Fair markets and free markets can not co-exist!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:31 am

Robair Robair:
ryan29 ryan29:
Farmers elect the board members. There are plenty of people to vote for who would like to see the end of the wheat board. Pro-board, pro single desk members keep getting elected. So you would suspect that means the majority of farmers want the single desk system.

Update on that. The board members that the farmers elected worked out like this:
8 in favour of the board
2 against

Now four of the eight that were in favour of the board have been offered much higher paying jobs by the federal government elsewhere. Their replacements, picked by the federal government, are not in favour of single desk. So now the split is 6 - 4 in favour of the federal conservatives.

How's that for underhanded bullshit! What a fucking snake!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:55 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
I love how they added this in there just to get your attention.
$1:
They say it's the start of a slope that could see the government do away with marketing boards, medicare and the CBC.
Of course all of this is just the opinion of some farmers.

i know they turned article into much more , sort of simialr to fear campaigns .

and another question i wonder how many actual saskatchewan farmers were consulted when urban based writer wrote this artilce ? if any

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:18 am

Robair Robair:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Fallicy.

Fallicy.

Self induced logical fallacy.

Remove the requirement that Western Farmers must sell the the wheat board, (Eastern farmers already don't have to) and the 'open market' option opens for all farmers. The 'Single Desk becomes part of the 'open market', to sink or swim on it's merits. The Wheat Board does not have to be dismantled for that to happen.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:25 am

Scape Scape:
Robair Robair:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Fallicy.

Fallicy.

Ha! I see your double fallicy and raise you an incongruity! Fair markets and free markets can not co-exist!

But the incongruity already exists! West of Manitoba, farmers must sell to the board, while East of Manitoba they do not.

I'm just saying level the field. If farmers feel they will get a better deal pooling their grains, let them. For the Conservatives to stack the board, and dismantle it is pointless. The Board already has the markets, and is known worldwide as the biggest grain consortium.