canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:23 am

I would not do it to piss off the Americans. PLUS -> it would need a lot of Canadian Modifications just to stay current with NATO’s protocols. Link 16 and/or 22, Havequick and SINCGARS are all factors to look at. Russian Engines need more maintenance then ours. Could we put a Rolls Royce engine in one of those beasts. There is more then the skin. You need to take your time and find what is best suited for us.

Two personnal angles:

- Canada was in negotiation with Teheran to get its F-14. But after the Iranian hostage and Canada's role in freeing them, the F-14 were sold to the USSR.

- Airplanes are like women, take great care of them, and they will keep you in the clouds. Abuse them or skip the regular maintenance and your grounded.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

-Mario- -Mario-:
I would not do it to piss off the Americans. PLUS -> it would need a lot of Canadian Modifications just to stay current with NATO’s protocols. Link 16 and/or 22, Havequick and SINCGARS are all factors to look at. Russian Engines need more maintenance then ours. Could we put a Rolls Royce engine in one of those beasts. There is more then the skin. You need to take your time and find what is best suited for us.

Two personnal angles:

- Canada was in negotiation with Teheran to get its F-14. But after the Iranian hostage and Canada's role in freeing them, the F-14 were sold to the USSR.

- Airplanes are like women, take great care of them, and they will keep you in the clouds. Abuse them or skip the regular maintenance and your grounded.
Man you are worst than me pulling on those sexist strings HAHAHAHA ROTFL ROTFL [bonk]
I'd have a great time having a beer with you hahaha.

Wel what we need is range ,good weapons platform and of course ground attack capability.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:45 am

Red_Eye Red_Eye:
Man you are worst than me pulling on those sexist strings HAHAHAHA ROTFL ROTFL [bonk]
I'd have a great time having a beer with you hahaha.

You could learn a few thing. It is not sexist... its the real deal my friend.

You would have a great time. Rum and Coke me plz. ;)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:00 am

Red_Eye Red_Eye:
Theres an Idea. Buy russian made fighters bend the U.S. nose out of joint.I bet it would way cheaper and we could build them better than they can.
The choice at the time was the F/A -18 or the F/A-15.
The F-15 had a better range which was more suited for this country. The choice was made by his truly P.E.T.
Never trust a politician for military needs.
My preferance for the time was the F-14, the latter model was ground attack capable.

Sorry saw top gun one too many times

Actually the F-15 was eliminated before that point. The contest was down to the F/A-18 and the F-16. Out of those two we got the better plane, we just didn't buy nearly enough. We bought only 138 Hornets, that was sad for us in the 80's. Jump to the 90's and we only have 80.

Its bordering on pathetic, we have about as many jet fighters as the Netherlands. Even Sweden puts us to shame.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:47 pm

I really find you armchair generals amusing. Comparing F15's to MiG 29's was like comparing SpitV's to P51D's. F15's have been around a LOOONNNGG time. The F14's the ruskies got from the Iranians got them a mediocre airframe and engine with substandard electronics. The electronics suite of the F14 was it's biggest advantage. The f14 was not really intended as a dog-fighter but for fleet defence to have the legs to get to the perimeter quickly and be a platform for the Phoenix missile (100+ miles range). Iranian F14's lacked that capability.
Piting a SU35 against an F22 would be akin to a Spit24 against a BF109E.....or taking a knife to a gun fight.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:30 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:
Red_Eye Red_Eye:
Theres an Idea. Buy russian made fighters bend the U.S. nose out of joint.I bet it would way cheaper and we could build them better than they can.
The F-15 had a better range which was more suited for this country. The choice was made by his truly P.E.T.
My preferance for the time was the F-14, the latter model was ground attack capable.

Actually the F-15 was eliminated before that point. The contest was down to the F/A-18 and the F-16. Out of those two we got the better plane, we just didn't buy nearly enough. We bought only 138 Hornets, that was sad for us in the 80's. Jump to the 90's and we only have 80.

Its bordering on pathetic, we have about as many jet fighters as the Netherlands. Even Sweden puts us to shame.
I remeber watching the news and never remembered theywere considering the F-16. Not to my recolection

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:40 pm

ok I stand corrected
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CF-18_Hornet#Background

interesting what you can find when you try to prove your right hahahaha
Oh well.......

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 pm

It is interesting to note that the CF had the same experience as the US with many flameouts (sometimes both) with the F18's engines. The F16 using the well developed F15 engine has not logged a single flameout.....
So much for the reliability of a twin engined design.
It is also interesting to note that while the Israeli's enthusiastically adopted the F16, they have no apparent interest in the F18.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:10 pm

sasquatch2 sasquatch2:
It is interesting to note that the CF had the same experience as the US with many flameouts (sometimes both) with the F18's engines. The F16 using the well developed F15 engine has not logged a single flameout.....

Bet you more F-16's have been lost due to engine failure than F-18's.

Back when we bought the Hornet, it was a fully multirole fighter while the F-16A/B was more or less a cheap F-5 type fighter.

We made the right call.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:17 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:
sasquatch2 sasquatch2:

Bet you more F-16's have been lost due to engine failure than F-18's.

Back when we bought the Hornet, it was a fully multirole fighter while the F-16A/B was more or less a cheap F-5 type fighter.

We made the right call.
It didn't seem so at the time as the American built models tail section would break off.
I remember that on the news.
My choice was the F-14.
At least for Canadain airspace. long distant interceptor

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 San Jose Sharks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Red_Eye Red_Eye:

or better make our own fighter aircraft. we have the engineers and scientists to do it.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:06 pm

um isn't that how we lost our last group of engineers?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 San Jose Sharks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Red_Eye Red_Eye:

lol yes they went to usa as striaght as an arrow

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:18 pm

mixedfarmer mixedfarmer:
Red_Eye Red_Eye:

lol yes they went to usa as striaght as an arrow
ummm err like an Avro Arrow? [angel]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Red_Eye Red_Eye:

Yea, that should always be a paramount air staff target on combat capability.
Procure an aircraft that will piss the yanks off. A great idea.
I'm sure our guys in Afghanistan would like CAP and close support aircraft chosen primarily to annoy our closest allies.

Do grow up.