canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:09 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=30820" target="_blank">PMO denies trying to bribe dying MP Cadman</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/1-political" target="_blank">Political</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=mtbr" target="_blank">mtbr</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2008-02-28 11:34:52
<strong>Canadian</strong>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:09 pm

When Mike Duffy asked Cadman about the details in 2005 why didn't he tell him then?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Probably worried Chretien ordering the RCMP to give him "a hunting accident in his living room".

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Wonder what his wife has to say considering she is running as a tory.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:35 pm

from Harper himself

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ional/home

'No truth' to Cadman allegations: Harper

BRODIE FENLON

Globe and Mail Update

February 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM EST

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says there is “absolutely no truth” to allegations two high-ranking Conservative party operatives offered B.C. MP Chuck Cadman a million-dollar life insurance policy in exchange for his vote to bring down the Liberal government in May of 2005.

The allegations are made by Mr. Cadman's widow, Dona Cadman, who is now a Tory candidate in B.C. The alleged offer, which was summarily rejected by the dying man, is outlined in a biography of Mr. Cadman by Vancouver journalist Tom Zytaruk that is due to be released March 14.

“This story was raised with me two and a half years ago. I looked into it. There is absolutely no truth in it,” Mr. Harper told the House of Commons during a raucous session of Question Period.

“The officials who were at the meeting have been very clear about what transpired ... Chuck Cadman himself, on national television, the day of that historic vote, also indicated that the story is not true.”
Independent MP Chuck Cadman stands to vote with former prime minister Martin's Liberal government in the House of Commons in Ottawa, in this May 19, 2005 file photo. The Liberals survived the tied vote after the House speaker broke the tie in favour of the government. Jim Young/Reuters
Enlarge Image

Independent MP Chuck Cadman stands to vote with former prime minister Martin's Liberal government in the House of Commons in Ottawa, in this May 19, 2005 file photo. The Liberals survived the tied vote after the House speaker broke the tie in favour of the government. (Jim Young/Reuters)

There is still confusion about dates and who was allegedly involved in making the offer. Dona Cadman said the meeting occurred May 17. Neither she nor Mr. Zytaruk knew the names of the Tory operatives.

The Conservatives say there was only one meeting, May 19, and the officials involved were Tory campaign director Doug Finley and Tom Flanagan, a University of Calgary political science professor who is a close friend and former campaign chief of Mr. Harper.

In a statement released Thursday, Mr. Finley and Mr. Flanagan said they met with Mr. Cadman on the day of the vote to discuss his possible re-admission to the Conservative caucus – a fact “widely known in political circles” and on the public record, they said.

The statement does not address the insurance policy allegation, but suggests televised remarks by Mr. Cadman made later that day put the matter to rest.

“We offered ways that we – as campaign officials – could help Mr. Cadman in the Conservative nomination process, and if successful, wage a competitive campaign in a general election,” the statement said.

“Later that evening, Mr. Cadman confirmed our offer of campaign assistance to a national television audience and further confirmed that this offer was ‘the only offer on anything.' As the record shows, Mr. Cadman declined our offer to re-join the Conservative Caucus.”

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Well at least we know what the CBC will be running for the next month or so.

I'm sure that wont stop Taliban Jack and Cpt Canuck Duceppe from demanding an enquiry were they will need a medium to perform a seance to get Cadman's testimony.

What insurance company would insure a terminally ill person anyways ?

Anything is possible here, but I doubt this one is true. Time will tell, his widow has to speak up and clear the air one way or another. Even then, they'll need evidence. But something to disrupt more important issues in the house I'm sure for the next few weeks or so...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:28 pm

This is odd...his widow is making the allegations, and she is running for the C.P.C. in Surrey North :WTF:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:30 pm

westmanguy westmanguy:
This is odd...his widow is making the allegations, and she is running for the C.P.C. in Surrey North :WTF:

I can't figure that one out. Makes you wonder what her motivations are if any.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Scape Scape:
Wonder what his wife has to say considering she is running as a tory.

Emotions and reason often time do not talk to one another.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:47 pm

How convenient is it that this story revolves around some one who has passed away and can't be questioned. Cadman himself denied the allegations when he was alive, isn’t that enough? I am so sick of these bullshit stories and allegations trying to paint Harper as corrupt. If they have proof then lets see it! Oh I forgot, the guy is dead so I guess we'll never really know. I’m starting to think Dion is aspiring to be the next Scooby Doo. If the man spent half the time he does on running his party as he does on trying to dig up dirt on Harper maybe his party wouldn’t in the sad state it is. Simply pathetic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:50 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
How convenient is it that this story revolves around some one who has passed away and can't be questioned. Cadman himself denied the allegations when he was alive, isn’t that enough? I am so sick of these bullshit stories and allegations trying to paint Harper as corrupt. If they have proof then lets see it! Oh I forgot, the guy is dead so I guess we'll never really know. I’m starting to think Dion is aspiring to be the next Scooby Doo. If the man spent half the time he does on running his party as he does on trying to dig up dirt on Harper maybe his party wouldn’t in the sad state it is. Simply pathetic.

Dion has nothing at all to do with it. :roll:

Its his widow that the evidence comes from, evidence that greatly exceeds whatever BS you cons tried to pin on Chretien or Martin.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:01 pm

westmanguy westmanguy:

but you have to remember the allegations are being made thru a book , she has not held a newsconference or that kind of thing. she said this during an interview with the author and somehow he came to this conclusion and put it in his book .
(
i don't even think she has said anything public since this came out this morning .

but i think these allegations will be next to impossible to prove since the mp in question passed away several years ago . and he is the only witness who could really say what truly happened or was said .

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:07 pm

How convenient is it that this story revolves around some one who has passed away and can't be questioned. Cadman himself denied the allegations when he was alive, isn’t that enough? I am so sick of these bullshit stories and allegations trying to paint Harper as corrupt.

No it's not enough, Cadman was sick when he denied.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:

Its his widow that the evidence comes from, evidence that greatly exceeds whatever BS you cons tried to pin on Chretien or Martin.

evidence you only wish there was evidence . where is the copy on this insurance contract ? , where are the tape recordings of this offer ? , what insurance company was supposedly willing to give a million dollar policy to someone terminaly ill ? ,

i'd really like to know what actual evidence there is on this claim . i guess we will have to buy the book or is that the authors plan to get rich ?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:12 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
DerbyX DerbyX:

evidence you only wish there was evidence . where is the copy on this insurance contract ? , where are the tape recordings of this offer ? , what insurance company was supposedly willing to give a million dollar policy to someone terminaly ill ? ,

i'd really like to know what actual evidence there is on this claim . i guess we will have to buy the book or is that the authors plan to get rich ?

A court of justice can handle he-said-she-said cases.