bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:26 pm

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I believe the flags should be lowered. Liek dude, why the hell not, andwhat pain does it cost?! Calm the fuck down, it's not like martial law is being implemented.

Most soldiers believe that lowering the flag for every combat death minimises the impact of lowering the flag during remembrance day.

For veterans and soldiers to enter in this kind of calculus, they have to put themselves in the shoes of the civil population, and particularly the generation too young to be yet in the armed forces.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:13 pm

:|

Last edited by Public_Domain on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:16 pm

Last edited by Public_Domain on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Who's freaking out?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:32 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:45 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Who's freaking out?
Apparently, people who can fight in wars and defend nations, but can't handle a flag being moved for it.
Exaggerate much? They can handle it, they just don't think a tradition should be changed so some politicians can claim to care about Canadian soldiers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:08 am

Last edited by Public_Domain on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:04 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
they just don't think a tradition should be changed so some politicians can claim to care about Canadian soldiers.

Not some politicians but their MPs.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Colorado Avalanche
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:30 am

As a member of the Forces for the last 28 yrs I can honestly
say that the vast majority overwhelmingly support the lowering of the flag only
on Rememberance Day.

This is just some politican sitting on his laurels and stirring up shit.

I still say that as lond as their are Canadian soldiers in hot spots there
should be a rotation of our politicians in the field with them.
Make them earn there lavish pensions after six years of playing politician.
With their automatic pay raises, non reduced dual pensions...bitter I'm not bitter..

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:39 am

CapeApe CapeApe:
As a member of the Forces for the last 28 yrs I can honestly
say that the vast majority overwhelmingly support the lowering of the flag only
on Rememberance Day.

This is just some politican sitting on his laurels and stirring up shit.

I still say that as lond as their are Canadian soldiers in hot spots there
should be a rotation of our politicians in the field with them.
Make them earn there lavish pensions after six years of playing politician.
With their automatic pay raises, non reduced dual pensions...bitter I'm not bitter..

A soldier and politician can be the very same individual, look John McCain.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:40 am

This is just a PR stunt by the Libs and NDP. The rules say only on Rememberance Day and that is how it should stay. To start lowering it for these soldiers in Afghanistan means that somehow they made a greater sacrifice or were somehow above all the others who have gone before. We have Nov 11th to honor them and remember those who have died.

I say, instead of lowering the flag and having a moment of silence in the commons, someone should stand up and read that soldiers story. Who he/she was, what they did in the CF and how they were killed. THAT is a more sincere way of maring the occassion of another fallen soldier.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:47 am

SigPig SigPig:
To start lowering it for these soldiers in Afghanistan means that somehow they made a greater sacrifice or were somehow above all the others who have gone before. We have Nov 11th to honor them and remember those who have died.

Lowering the flag for these soldiers in Afghanistan means that somehow the social perception of wars is changing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:54 am

That is where you cheapen your responses.

Its a PR stunt by everybody but the CPC. Everytime the Libs or NDP make any gesture to the military, visit the troops, or simply try and acknowledge them it gets thrown back in their face as nothing but a baseless attempt for PR purposes. Never does the CPC get that same treatment and so the arguments you gusy are making carry little weight.

This entire flag flap was caused by a CPC MP. He proposed the policy and it would have been political suicide for the Liberals to oppose it, even if they did so under the auspices of tradition.

There is not one single doubt in my mind that had the Liberals not supported the CPC motion they would have been vilified by the very people here now attacking them.

The same crap happens time and again whenever a CDN politician goes to Afghanistan. Every CPC visit was a heartfelt gesture designed to boost morale while every single visit by a Lib or NDP was a vile attempt at a photo op.

Then you turn around and complain that they don't visit enough.

What a joke.

Are they right in doing it? I don't think so but neither do I think they are doing it for a PR stunt especially since all they seem to be getting is negative responses.

They certainly wasted their time if they were looking for that.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 am

Benoit Benoit:
SigPig SigPig:
To start lowering it for these soldiers in Afghanistan means that somehow they made a greater sacrifice or were somehow above all the others who have gone before. We have Nov 11th to honor them and remember those who have died.

Lowering the flag for these soldiers in Afghanistan means that somehow the social perception of wars is changing.

If that was the Libs motivation for it then fine, but they are only doing this to say they have done something for us in the past 15 years. It is a PR stunt and nothing more. It is an empty gesture.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:00 am

DerbyX DerbyX:
That is where you cheapen your responses.

Its a PR stunt by everybody but the CPC. Everytime the Libs or NDP make any gesture to the military, visit the troops, or simply try and acknowledge them it gets thrown back in their face as nothing but a baseless attempt for PR purposes. Never does the CPC get that same treatment and so the arguments you gusy are making carry little weight.

This entire flag flap was caused by a CPC MP. He proposed the policy and it would have been political suicide for the Liberals to oppose it, even if they did so under the auspices of tradition.

There is not one single doubt in my mind that had the Liberals not supported the CPC motion they would have been vilified by the very people here now attacking them.

The same crap happens time and again whenever a CDN politician goes to Afghanistan. Every CPC visit was a heartfelt gesture designed to boost morale while every single visit by a Lib or NDP was a vile attempt at a photo op.

Then you turn around and complain that they don't visit enough.

What a joke.

Are they right in doing it? I don't think so but neither do I think they are doing it for a PR stunt especially since all they seem to be getting is negative responses.

They certainly wasted their time if they were looking for that.

"The House of Commons passed a Liberal motion on Wednesday calling for a moment of silence and the lowering of the flag above the Peace Tower on any day a Canadian soldier is killed overseas."

Can't believe you missed the part of of the article where it said that is was a LIBERAL MOTION. It was in the first paragraph and everything. I guess reading it would have been a waste of time when there is nonsense posting to be done.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next