bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:53 am

Tricks Tricks:
RPW RPW:
When I went to school a million years ago, I was told the correct order for math of this sort was mutiplication first, division second, addition third, and subtraction fourth.

So, 6x8-5+9 would = 48 - 14 = 34. Or maybe Timmies uses "new math".....

Please tell me this is a joke. it's -5 + 9 not 5 + 9 making it +4.

Ergo, 48+4 = 52.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Ya I was never that good at math but to get his answer wouldn't it have to look like this:
(6x8)-(5+9)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:55 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
Tricks Tricks:
RPW RPW:
When I went to school a million years ago, I was told the correct order for math of this sort was mutiplication first, division second, addition third, and subtraction fourth.

So, 6x8-5+9 would = 48 - 14 = 34. Or maybe Timmies uses "new math".....

Please tell me this is a joke. it's -5 + 9 not 5 + 9 making it +4.

Ergo, 48+4 = 52.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Ya I was never that good at math but to get his answer wouldn't it have to look like this:
(6x8)-(5+9)

Yes.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:06 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
(6x8)-(5+9)
Yes it would, according to the accepted order - which is exactly what it is. Multiplication first, addition second, subtraction third. Ergo, 34.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:09 am

RPW RPW:
RUEZ RUEZ:
(6x8)-(5+9)
Yes it would, according to the accepted order - which is exactly what it is. Multiplication first, addition second, subtraction third. Ergo, 34.

Not according to the math they teach in school.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:12 am

RPW RPW:
RUEZ RUEZ:
(6x8)-(5+9)

No... Addition and subtraction can go in either order. And even if it was addition first it doesn't matter.

6X8 +9 - 5 =
48 + 9 -5 =
57-5=

Bedmas.
Brackets, exponents division multiplication addition subtraction. However division and multiplication as well as addition and subtraction can be swapped. This is because regardless of order you go in in equations it will end up being the same thing. For instance 5 - 9 + 4. You will get zero no matter how you do it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Tricks Tricks:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
You want a REAL skill-testing math question? Here:

Find the inflection point of the following function: y=x^3-2x+1

Anybody who's taken high-school calculus should be able to figure it out.

First derivative is 3x^2 - 2.

Second is 6x

Set 6x as zero

x = 0

Inflection point is zero.

Almost. That is the x at which the inflection point lies, but (0,0) isn't on the curve. Sub x=0 back into the original equation, solve for y, and the inflection point is (0,1).

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:12 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
(6x8)-(5+9)

Yes. What the question really looks like, if you were to use brackets in that way, is this:

(6*8)+(-5+9)

On another note, it really should be PEDMAS, because those are parentheses, not brackets. Brackets are for other things.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:19 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Tricks Tricks:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
You want a REAL skill-testing math question? Here:

Find the inflection point of the following function: y=x^3-2x+1

Anybody who's taken high-school calculus should be able to figure it out.

First derivative is 3x^2 - 2.

Second is 6x

Set 6x as zero

x = 0

Inflection point is zero.

Almost. That is the x at which the inflection point lies, but (0,0) isn't on the curve. Sub x=0 back into the original equation, solve for y, and the inflection point is (0,1).

Ah good call. Meh. I haven't done that for over a year, the fact I remembered to that point is good enough for me. I'm gonna be a cop, I don't need calculus. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:19 pm

So now we have 3.5 pages of explanation going on here... Does it really surprise anybody she flunked the question? :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:21 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
RUEZ RUEZ:
(6x8)-(5+9)

Yes. What the question really looks like, if you were to use brackets in that way, is this:

(6*8)+(-5+9)

On another note, it really should be PEDMAS, because those are parentheses, not brackets. Brackets are for other things.

Makes it more complicated.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:21 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Ah good call. Meh. I haven't done that for over a year, the fact I remembered to that point is good enough for me. I'm gonna be a cop, I don't need calculus. :lol:

"Hey scumbag, tell me the integral of e to the x or I'll TASER your ass!"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Brenda Brenda:
So now we have 3.5 pages of explanation going on here... Does it really surprise anybody she flunked the question? :twisted:

No. This is math you learn in like grade 3 or 4. The fact that one person can't get it doesn't make it a hard question. Just makes them dumb.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:23 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Tricks Tricks:

"Hey scumbag, tell me the integral of e to the x or I'll TASER your ass!"

Hey, I gave him a chance. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:24 pm

lily lily:
Nothing more attractive than a bunch of anal math geeks. :D

There's a difference between being anal and wanting people to understand basic math concepts. And knowing this doesn't make us geeks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Brenda Brenda:

No. This is math you learn in like grade 3 or 4. The fact that one person can't get it doesn't make it a hard question. Just makes them dumb.

Just as dumb as 3.5 pages of explanation of a simple math question ;-)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 12  Next