Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Tricks Tricks:
Brenda Brenda:
So now we have 3.5 pages of explanation going on here... Does it really surprise anybody she flunked the question? :twisted:

No. This is math you learn in like grade 3 or 4. The fact that one person can't get it doesn't make it a hard question. Just makes them dumb.

Just as dumb as 3.5 pages of explanation of a simple math question ;-)

Education is important ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Tricks Tricks:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
Tricks Tricks:
Ah good call. Meh. I haven't done that for over a year, the fact I remembered to that point is good enough for me. I'm gonna be a cop, I don't need calculus. :lol:

"Hey scumbag, tell me the integral of e to the x or I'll TASER your ass!"

Hey, I gave him a chance. :lol:

Don't taze him bro.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Tricks Tricks:
RPW RPW:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Ya I was never that good at math but to get his answer wouldn't it have to look like this:
(6x8)-(5+9)
Yes it would, according to the accepted order - which is exactly what it is. Multiplication first, addition second, subtraction third. Ergo, 34.

No... Addition and subtraction can go in either order. And even if it was addition first it doesn't matter.

6X8 +9 - 5 =
48 + 9 -5 =
57-5=

Bedmas.
Brackets, exponents division multiplication addition subtraction. However division and multiplication as well as addition and subtraction can be swapped. This is because regardless of order you go in in equations it will end up being the same thing. For instance 5 - 9 + 4. You will get zero no matter how you do it.
5-13 = -8

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:45 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Ya I was never that good at math but to get his answer wouldn't it have to look like this:
(6x8)-(5+9)

Yes. What the question really looks like, if you were to use brackets in that way, is this:

(6*8)+(-5+9)

On another note, it really should be PEDMAS, because those are parentheses, not brackets. Brackets are for other things.
Perhaps, but what our friend Trick did was group it this way:
(6x8)(-5+9)
He then arbitrarily inserted a "+" between the subsets. Now I understand there is "new" math and "old" math (which perhaps goes towards 'splaining why the world is the way it is), but in my day two subsets arranged this way inferred they were to be multiplied. Thus 48x4 = 192............

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:50 pm

RPW RPW:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
RUEZ RUEZ:
(6x8)-(5+9)

Yes. What the question really looks like, if you were to use brackets in that way, is this:

(6*8)+(-5+9)

On another note, it really should be PEDMAS, because those are parentheses, not brackets. Brackets are for other things.
(6x8)(-5+9)
He then arbitrarily inserted a "+" between the subsets. Now I understand there is "new" math and "old" math (which perhaps goes towards 'splaining why the world is the way it is), but in my day two subsets arranged this way inferred they were to be multiplied. Thus 48x4 = 192............
I suggest we look this up so we can end this impasse.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:51 pm

which makes 51 STILL the wrong answer ;-)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:54 pm

Brenda Brenda:

In the end, that's all that really matters. I say we rip that GPS right out of her math challenged hands.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:55 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
RPW RPW:
(6x8)(-5+9)
I suggest we look this up so we can end this impasse.

From Wolfram Mathworld, a very good, highly technical reference.

On Precedence:

$1:
Consider the equation 3×7+2^2. The value of this expression is (3×7)+(2^2), or 25, due to what is called the order of operations, or precedence. When ambiguous, an operation of a higher kind is performed first. For simple equations, operations are ordered from highest to lowest as follows:

1. Parenthesization,

2. Factorial,

3. Exponentiation,

4. Multiplication and division,

5. Addition and subtraction.

This doesn't quite solve our problem, but the page on Subtraction does:

$1:
Subtraction is the operation of taking the difference d=x-y of two numbers x and y. Here, x is called the minuend, y is called the subtrahend, and the symbol between the x and y is called the minus sign. The expression "x-y" is read "x minus y."

Subtraction is the inverse of addition, so x+y-y=x-y+y=x.

The subtraction of a number from itself gives 0, while the subtraction of a real number from a smaller real number gives a negative real number. Subtraction of real numbers can be naturally extended to complex numbers.

Note the example x+y-y=x-y+y=x. This is critical. If RPW was right, x+y-y would equal x, but x-y+y would be x-2y. As stated, subtraction is simply the inverse of addition. It is not lower on the order of precedence.

I hope this settles it.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Brenda Brenda:
No doubt. But 52 is not necessarily the right answer. So, if one has the prize revoked, then all should who answered wrongly should as well. Likewise, if all who answered wrongly get to keep their prizes, it must necessarily be inclusive.

And the correct answer is..........._____________?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:53 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
x+y-y would equal x, but x-y+y would be x-2y

All this does is beg the question: which operation is performed first, addition or subtraction?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:19 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Brenda Brenda:

In the end, that's all that really matters. I say we rip that GPS right out of her math challenged hands.

should we send a mob with torches and pitch forks or just a couple of guys in classy suits?

:P

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:23 pm

newfette newfette:
should we send a mob with torches and pitch forks or just a couple of guys in classy suits?
You mean lawyers, or you mean the mob? But then, I repeat myself (Thank you, Mark!)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:05 pm

i meant a mob of people like back in the old days when they thought someone was a witch or something... LOL

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:42 pm

RPW RPW:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
x+y-y would equal x, but x-y+y would be x-2y

All this does is beg the question: which operation is performed first, addition or subtraction?

IT'S THE SAME OPERATION! Subtraction is just addition of a negative number.

x+y-y is (x)+(y)+(-y)

x-y+y is (x)+(-y)+(y)

No matter which addition you do first, you get the same thing: x. The order doesn't matter. How did you manage to pass math? Or did you?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:17 pm

Isn't there some kind of acronym for this? I seem to remember something to that affect but I can't remember what the hell it was.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 12  Next