Category: Political
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2008-08-28 08:38:31
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Yet another promise reneged on. Canada First my ass...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:29 pm

what promise was that?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:57 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:
what promise was that?

When he ran to the North to hide from all those awful people at the AIDS conference in 2006, he promised a port in the Arctic. Now, two years later, he's linked it to the construction of a pipeline. Harper started off pretty good, but after he spent a a few minutes in office, he turned from an idealist to just another dirty politician.

The laundry list of his back-tracking (Emerson, Income Trusts, icebreakers, the JSS, the Arctic port) grows longer and longer everyday.

I suppose it's for the better, as I won't have any hesitation not voting for his party. Had he followed thorugh on his Canada First program, I very likely would have. Now I don't have to worry about regretting voting for him (like I do with Mulroney).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:00 pm

You're mad because he didn't build a deep sea port in less than 2 years?

The northern BC port is a good and viable idea but an arctic port for the sake of an artic port dosen't sound that viable. If we need to connect it to a pipeline to make it work, thats fine with me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:12 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
You're mad because he didn't build a deep sea port in less than 2 years?

The northern BC port is a good and viable idea but an arctic port for the sake of an artic port dosen't sound that viable. If we need to connect it to a pipeline to make it work, thats fine with me.

Please...the highest budget for a port is $150 million. It was a cornerstome of his Arctic policy, including three year round capable icebreakers based there. Now he says he wants to exploit the wealth up there and have ships register with us...where? Ottawa? Toronto? How the fuck are we supposed to do that? Rangers on skidoos can only do so much...

We spent 10 times the cost of the port on a GST cut...30 times that for those four C-17 moving vans. We're going to spend more buying 6 used Chinooks for Afghanistan...the point is he has frittered away the surplus he was left with and now can't afford to buy a free lunch.

When he was hiding in Iqaluit, he promised it, no strings attached. Now, two years later, suddenly they have to wait a decade until a pipeline is built? BS is what that is...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:30 pm

Harper is a liar. Plain and simple he's Not to be trusted under any circumstances, especially in leading this great country.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Wada Wada:
Harper is a liar. Plain and simple he's Not to be trusted under any circumstances, especially in leading this great country.

yeah we better put the thieves back in charge maybe they will find our 300 000 000 they stole.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Well if you think constant lies to the voting public are ok then vote for him. Just don't dare ever complain that now he's lied to you and yours, eh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:41 pm

Wada Wada:
Well if you think constant lies to the voting public are ok then vote for him. Just don't dare ever complain that now he's lied to you and yours, eh.

show me some lies

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Make it less work for me. Show me some truths. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Wada Wada:
Make it less work for me. Show me some truths. :)

no surprise...no answer

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:12 pm

I didn't know Harper was 'hiding from those AIDS people'
two years ago in the far north.
Where was it that The Cretin hid when he failed to attend
the previous AIDS feelbad conference...? Golf course ?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:46 pm

We need a resson to have a port and people there. Getting those gas and oilfields up and running gives people a reason to be there, and that more than any flag waving extravaganza, proves that we own it. Look at Alaska and look at the Yukon as an example.

We had military bases in the north that were closed because they were useless and because the Liberals hated the military ( :D ). We don't need more white polar elephants. If we can provide an incentive to get companies and people to go there, we build inferstructure and have a far better chance at making that community sustainable.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:23 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
We need a resson to have a port and people there. Getting those gas and oilfields up and running gives people a reason to be there, and that more than any flag waving extravaganza, proves that we own it. Look at Alaska and look at the Yukon as an example.

We had military bases in the north that were closed because they were useless and because the Liberals hated the military ( :D ). We don't need more white polar elephants. If we can provide an incentive to get companies and people to go there, we build inferstructure and have a far better chance at making that community sustainable.

The reason is because it's ours. If the only reason we have for a base is the economy, then around a quarter of our bases better be scrapped, as they are nowhere near 'the econonmy' as you put it. One of the biggest reasons we ran CFS Alert during the Cold War was to tell the Russkies, "Hey we are watching and listening to you". If that was a good enough reason in the Cold War, then it should be a good enough reason now. For us to watch people in the NW Passage, we need more than just a couple Rangers on skidoos. Now that Harper has canned the three heavy icebreakers he promised, we need that port more than ever.

Or are you saying that the economy trumps everything else? If so, perhaps you better tone down your hatred for trade with China...