PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Title: Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'
Category: Science
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2009-02-15 12:22:51

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 pm

That's toatlly cool to think that somewhere in another part of a solar system their may be humans or animals going about their daily lives just like us, totally oblivious to our neighbors 10 million light years away..

10 million light years = 9.4605284 × 1022 meters

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:35 pm

If there are billions in our galaxy, they'd be a lot closer than that, seeing as it is only 100 000 light years across. The visible universe is thought to be 15 billion light years across.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:02 pm

I think the figure of one hundred billion is way out in left field. the galaxy, when viewed fro the top or bottom, is approximately 7 850 000 000 square lightyears based on the 100 000 lightyear diameter figure (which itself is a general estimate.

That gives us one earthlike planet every 0.0785 square lightyears. Even with the vertical distace calculated in, thats way too dense, unless they include mars and venus into earth-like planet category.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Geez ShepherdsDog, Canadian_Mind to talk about light years as if it's just a drive to McDee's.

10 million, 100,000

http://www.unitconversion.org/length/mi ... rsion.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:03 pm

The funny thing is... We jsut don't know... We assume... :D

And that is the beauty of it all :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:04 pm

tritium tritium:
Geez ShepherdsDog, Canadian_Mind to talk about light years as if it's just a drive to McDee's.

10 million, 100,000

our closest celestial neighbour is 4.2 light years away, Centauri system. Reletively they are our next door neighbour, and the Sirus system would be like the local McDonalds joint.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
tritium tritium:

10 million, 100,000

our closest celestial neighbour is 4.2 light years away, Centauri system. Reletively they are our next door neighbour, and the Sirus system would be like the local McDonalds joint.

Well on your next visit (to the Sirus system McDee's) Canadian_Mind, pls pick me up some nuggets with sweet and sour sauce. Thx. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Billions of livable planets and I'm stuck on this rock with people like Ann Coulter, Al Sharpton, Al Gore, Rush Limbaugh, Gary Bettman, Jack Layton, and Ralph Klein. Fuck me. :evil:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Billions of livable planets and I'm stuck on this rock with people like Ann Coulter, Al Sharpton, Al Gore, Rush Limbaugh, Gary Bettman, Jack Layton, and Ralph Klein. Fuck me. :evil:

You think you got it rough?.....how's 'bout the rest of us, we're stuck here with the likes of....YOU !! :wink:

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Hyack Hyack:
Thanos Thanos:

You think you got it rough?.....how's 'bout the rest of us, we're stuck here with the likes of....YOU !! :wink:

Says the ray of sunshine himself. :lol:

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanos Thanos:

and David Suzuki, Tony Clement, Justin Trudeau, Mike Harris. I'm actually thankful for Ralph Kline...the video of him falling down the airplane steps, drunk, was priceless. I don't rememeber laughing as hard as I did when I heard his comment about Belinda Stronach when she switched parties: "I knew she never had a Conservative bone in her body...well one." :lol:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:45 pm

wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:
Hyack Hyack:
Thanos Thanos:

Says the ray of sunshine himself. :lol:

Image....betchya thought it was going to be another one didn't ya.... :lol: :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:58 pm

.. waiting till the self rightious, morally superior treky snots chime in..

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 am

Thanos Thanos:

Wait til you see who's on the other Planets. 8O