Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Al Sharpton is one of the most racict buffoons on the planet.

Is the cartoon in poor taste, yes, racist, no.

You beat me to it Pluggy. Sharpton has done more to create racial tension than to alleviate it. To call him a Reverend is an insult to honest,loving,religious leaders.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Blatantly racist.

It figures Shep would try to make excuses for it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:36 am

Pseudonym Pseudonym:
I like how it suddenly became racist because Al Sharpton called it such. There was no connection to Obama's ethnicity in the artist's mind, and neither in the mind of the paper's editors, and now there is. Congratulations. You just set us back again.

Al Sharpton didn't need to call it racist for it to be racist.

How do you know what connections were made in the artist's mind? It can be pretty easily inferred that the monkey symbolises the president.

The new Attorney General is right. People are cowards when it comes to race issues. People like you will make up anything to avoid admitting that a political cartoon where cops shooting a monkey and talking about the president, who happens to belong to a minority that has been characterised by racists as "monkeys" is in any way racist.

And for all you boneheads that whine about the comparisons between George Bush and monkeys, you're comparing apples and oranges. George Bush happens to have made a lot of monkey-like faces during his presidency, and doesn't actually look all that much different from a chimpanzee. White people have not been historically characterised as monkeys to make them seem less than human. Black people have. White people have not been systematically harassed, beaten, and murdered by police. Black people have.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:40 am

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
Please do me a favor and don't ever refer to South park as a moral show. I'm sorry but a show of a whole bunch of 12 year old boys swearing up the yang mixed with (based on the episodes I've seen) pedophilia, sex change operations, the devil having a homosexual lover that abuses him, and other such nonsense has anything at all to do with being a better person.

If you think those things make South Park immoral, you've missed the point and have no idea what social commentary is.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:55 am

Tman1 Tman1:
Do black people think of themselves as monkey's? If not, why is it racist?

Did black people invent the term "nigger"? If not, why is it racist?

Hmm, let's think about that one a little harder, shall we? [bash]

$1:
Because of the white man? Was it even a white man who drew the cartoon? and yes, George Bush was characterized as a monkey because...well, his face looked like a monkey but hey, I don't see white groups denouncing it as racist.

That's because George Bush doesn't belong to a class of people that have been, for a larger part of the last century, characterised as less than human, and for the latter half, forced into ghettos and given little means or opportunity to escape.

$1:
Elect a minority as a top figure, you play with fire. Perfect shield for Obama, now he can't be criticized without apparent racist overtones.... :roll:

Context means nothing to you, does it?

$1:
Getting sick of this racist shit.

Then quit being one.

Last edited by romanP on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:26 am

romanP romanP:

I'll grant that, since he, of course, is not the arbiter of what is, or is not racist. What then, pray tell, are the necessary conditions for something to qualify as "racist"? If someone can take a statement out of context and thusly it becomes racist, then the term bears no insult or moral wrongdoing attached to it.
$1:
How do you know what connections were made in the artist's mind? It can be pretty easily inferred that the monkey symbolises the president.

The author stated that the charges of racism were "ridiculous" and I have as of yet no reason to disbelieve the man. Also, from the context of current events, it is abundantly clear that he was in no way referring to Mr. Obama.
$1:
The new Attorney General is right. People are cowards when it comes to race issues. People like you will make up anything to avoid admitting that a political cartoon where cops shooting a monkey and talking about the president, who happens to belong to a minority that has been characterised by racists as "monkeys" is in any way racist.

People like you just can't stand to realize that people don't have to be lumped into groups and victimized to be heard. Coward. :P
$1:
And for all you boneheads that whine about the comparisons between George Bush and monkeys, you're comparing apples and oranges. George Bush happens to have made a lot of monkey-like faces during his presidency, and doesn't actually look all that much different from a chimpanzee. White people have not been historically characterised as monkeys to make them seem less than human. Black people have. White people have not been systematically harassed, beaten, and murdered by police. Black people have.

What if Obama makes a face that looks like a dog? Could I lampoon him in that manner? I need some clearer guidelines here.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:34 am

Okay, maybe I'm way outta line here, but is Obama really a black man? He's about the whitest black dude I've seen. If we're gonna toss racial slurs at the dude, shouldn't we be calling him "half 'n' half", "Zebra", "White wash", "Two-tone", "Eggplant", "Chocolate Cracker", etc?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:31 am

Don't forget mulatto.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:37 am

Axeman Axeman:
Okay, maybe I'm way outta line here, but is Obama really a black man? He's about the whitest black dude I've seen. If we're gonna toss racial slurs at the dude, shouldn't we be calling him "half 'n' half", "Zebra", "White wash", "Two-tone", "Eggplant", "Chocolate Cracker", etc?

aww dude, you forgot 'Oreo cookie'

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:03 am

Pseudonym Pseudonym:
romanP romanP:

I'll grant that, since he, of course, is not the arbiter of what is, or is not racist.

He is one arbiter. He is a black man, and if he feels something offends him because it is derogatory or discriminatory toward the colour of his skin or that of any other black man, that is his prerogative.

$1:
$1:

The author stated that the charges of racism were "ridiculous" and I have as of yet no reason to disbelieve the man. Also, from the context of current events, it is abundantly clear that he was in no way referring to Mr. Obama.

Of course he said that, racists are always saying they aren't racist.

$1:
$1:

People like you just can't stand to realize that people don't have to be lumped into groups and victimized to be heard. Coward. :P

See, you can't even counter my argument with anything relevant because you're searching so hard to find a way out of your own wet paper bag.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am

Belittle and dehumanize that which you do not understand, eh?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks