canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:22 pm

sandorski sandorski:
Gremlins are kinda cool. Don't know much about the Mechanicals or the Fuel Consumption, but the styling was quite good, especially from a North American auto maker.

The movie Top Secret covered the main problem with the Pinto quite well. When I was 8 or 9 my dad bought a Maverick, which seemed ok....until a Deer ran into us one eventful night. :lol:

I had a '74 Gremlin X similar to this one. I bought it in '75. 5.9L, 304, 3 spd, full synchro. Couldn't get more than a monthout of a set of tires! :lol:

My x owned a shhh.... pinto nuff said! :oops:

Dad owned a 'little Red Maverick' with 10 tires. He let my x drive it 1 time while the pinto was in the shop. Again! She totalled it. :(

One of my brothers nailed a horse with Mom's Comet. The horse got up out of the ditch and took off!

Attachments:
'74 Gremlin X.jpg
'74 Gremlin X.jpg [ 24.54 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

Last edited by Yogi on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:25 pm

NOOOOOOO! "Detroit" is to blame and the decision they made for whatever reason......just like any other global company. I have been a "Nut Bar Chevy Guy" since I was 17 years old and there wasn't anything they could do to make my last new vehicle a GM. It very much saddens me to see what has become of them but for FK! sakes look after the people who have your product. To me now.........GM has been dead since 1972.

It really pisses me off too. RIP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:26 pm

There is not a car made by these three I want to buy. Now why is that?
Once these overpaid failures at the Big 3 suss that out they will sell cars.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Old Chevy's never die..........they just go faster.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Since I began driving, I’ve owned damn near every brand out there. British Leyland early on (MGB, Rover) was a lot of fun, but made crap and went out of business. I then went through a selection of the big 4 (American Motors). They’ve always been cheaper, but have never been good quality compared to the imports from the mid 70’s on.

I remember looking a brand new Lincoln in the late 70s in the showroom where the bumper was mis-aligned, the door and trunk seams were all over the place and yet they expected top dollar. I walked over to the new Honda dealership and while I wouldn’t compare the two vehicles for comfort, the fit and finish was far superior in the Honda. That got me into Japanese cars for about ten years when I was able to afford the Mercedes, BMW and Lexus vehicles. I won’t go back unless the North American manufacturers can build something as safe, comfortable and is able to hold its value as long.

I’m now driving a 7 series BMW, and frankly there is nothing offered by the big three that is anywhere near as well built or as safe. In fairness my car isn’t affordable by everyone, but the point is the same. Make a better, more affordable, vehicle for the average consumer and they’ll deserve to survive. I don’t think they should, or will. I certainly don’t feel it’s my fault as a consumer. I’ll buy the best of what I can afford, and if they have nothing to offer, I’ll happily go elsewhere.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm listening to the radio in the background. One of the 'big 3' dealers is constantly running an ad'sale today only. $29,000.00 + $2,000.00 worth of 'accessories'. Yesterday, the same vehicle was being advertised at $39,000.00!!!

WTF IS THAT??? Maybe if they just cut the bullshit and advertise the 'driveway price' people might show a bit of interest in what they are trying to flog on us!

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:57 pm

cyprien cyprien:
why is it that i have to save my money for a "rainy day", yet all these corporations can give all their short-term profits to shareholders, leaving only my tax dollars to fall back on when times are hard?

let them die, all of them. learn to save like the rest of us.

I don't agree with letting them die......although to me that is tempting. They've had long term commitments to live up to.....and management has been fat for too long. Because of that none of them can keep up to the current economical situation, which isn't their fault either, although I'm sure it would have caught up with all of them.
On the flip side other companies like Hyundai USA who possibly have a different business model are now offering to their customers an employment insurance of sort. If you buy a Hyundai and loose you job within the first year, you just give the vehicle back, and that's it. There's only one dealer in Canada that's going to do the same right now but I'm sure many will follow later. In the last quarter they they've had 14% growth as well. WTF is with that!!!!??

I'm not going to buy it (because it's a car) but I've had the Hyundai Genesis for a few days and it's pretty awesome!! I road in one last summer and thought it was ok.....but when you put the boots to it for a couple of days it's actually pretty nice. WTF is with that?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:24 pm

"not letting them die"...

If the market doesn't want to lend them money, even at high interest rates (high risks), that means it doesn't worth the risk. If the government lends them money because the financial market doesn't want, we have a good chance to loose it. And by "we" I mean the taxpayers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:34 pm

sandorski sandorski:
Gremlins are kinda cool. Don't know much about the Mechanicals or the Fuel Consumption, but the styling was quite good, especially from a North American auto maker.

The movie Top Secret covered the main problem with the Pinto quite well. When I was 8 or 9 my dad bought a Maverick, which seemed ok....until a Deer ran into us one eventful night. :lol:

that was an AMC Pacer same shit...same smell :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:07 pm

Ripcat Ripcat:
Axeman Axeman:
Consumers are only to blame in that they've supported these shitty companies for too long. Had consumers demanded better quality, safer and more environmentally friendly vehicles 30 years ago, this may have been a competitive industry. Consumers are to blame for their passive loyalty to domestic shitboxes.

Yes because Toyota didn't build plants in NA in the past 30 years to build full size pickup trucks that aren't selling today either...sarcasm off

yes, but instead of building 40 or 50 different vehicles they kept it under 10.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 am

cyprien cyprien:
why is it that i have to save my money for a "rainy day", yet all these corporations can give all their short-term profits to shareholders, leaving only my tax dollars to fall back on when times are hard?

let them die, all of them. learn to save like the rest of us.

No doubt, when do I get a bailout?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 am

Like I said before about the Volt, I don't know what will happen.
I just hope another company will buy this "line".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 am

Proculation Proculation:
Like I said before about the Volt, I don't know what will happen.
I just hope another company will buy this "line".

GM wont die, they may go Chapter 11, to restructure debt,
get rid of the pensions and health care, protect what still does work,
trucks, and maybe the volt, and carry on.

It would take much more for a Chapter 7, and then someone would take
the Volt over, no question... Maybe Tesla should get it :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:40 am

mtbr mtbr:
Can you imagine what kind of shit they would be selling if the Japanese hadn't arrived :lol:

Omf, my brother owned a Pacer... In the Netherlands! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Well if you want to call POS, compare any Japanese car from the same era with those Pacers, Gremlins and Javelins. AMC managed to survive and supply something different for a fair while until their misadventure with Renault killed them dead. The Japanese ones turned into rust-flakes long before Disco even died....
You're comparing 2009 Toyotas to 1984 K Cars in your squawking, not to new Big 3 models. And BMWs to fucking Chevies. BMWs compare to Cadillac, Lincolns and maybe top model Buicks. The 'tards in the Big3 have never figured out how to market and design those models for anyone but pimps, gangbagers & granpaws.
That's why people are buying BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc. The Big 3 don't make anything like those.

Toyota? Want to talk about them praise their 4x4 line! Took them all of 6 minutes to boot Land Rover out of Africa, Austalia and SE Asia. Even Jeep is fucking lost at what to do. "Duhhh lets make a 2wd CVT pisspot and call it a Jeep. Duhhh!"