CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2245
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:02 pm
 


Brenda wrote:
I've been trying to look it up, but I can't find any warning that it cannot be used indoors...



http://www.nyc.gov/html/ccrb/pdf/pepperreport.pdf

It's a dry read, but it covers all concerns about when, where and on who to use it on. About half way through it discusses the potential fatal results.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2245
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:05 pm
 


ziggy wrote:
Pokeass said
Quote:
Do you drink


I have a CPIC security clearance that gets me behind any penal institution in Canada to work and also the clearance to live and work on the military base in Alberta so methinks you failed on your diagnosis.

A dry camp is a dry camp.That's why they test you.

Stick to selling your cell-phone plans bud.


What the fuck are you talking about and why would, or should I care? You've been attacking me since the day I joined this forum accusing me of being someone else and basically derailing any topic I post in.

You have a mental illness and need help. If it isn't mental it's as a result of substance abuse. You pick, I don't care.

Now go back to Radio Shack or wherever the hell you think you work.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11108
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 pm
 


Back to the topic.

Thanks.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 50938
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:25 pm
 


poquas wrote:
Brenda wrote:
I've been trying to look it up, but I can't find any warning that it cannot be used indoors...



http://www.nyc.gov/html/ccrb/pdf/pepperreport.pdf

It's a dry read, but it covers all concerns about when, where and on who to use it on. About half way through it discusses the potential fatal results.

Oy, is it ever :lol:

Quote:
A 1994 study examined in
detail twenty-two reported deaths in custody which occurred after police sprayed someone with
pepper spray.16 The authors of this study concluded that “in none of the twenty-two cases was
OC considered to be cause of, or contributor to, the deaths.” They found that “in eighteen of the
twenty-two cases, positional asphyxia was the cause of death, with drugs and/or disease also
being contributing factors,” and that of the others, “three involved a drug (cocaine)-related death,
and one involved a drug (cocaine)/disease-related death.”

This is the only part I could find about deaths.
I couldn't find anything that claims you can't use it indoors, or that it vaporizes into gas (huh, does that make sense? ;-)) and thus will affect anybody within so many meters, even from behind glass with a working ventilationsystem in the other room.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8851
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 am
 


www.defensedevices.com/abpepspray.html
Here's another link. Granted, it is a site that is in the business of selling such products,but they have enough description of each product discussed here to make me wonder why one, and perhaps two shots of a taser were'nt enough to at least allow the cops to get in close enough and cuff him! I couldn't find anything mentioning that the odor of pepper spray would dissipate into the air enough to cause harm to anyone, only that those whose skin it comes into direct contact with are disabled.
I am somewhat familiar with the direct effects of capasaisin as I have a small bottle of it; (I had to provide ID for photocopy to their files, and sign a release to purchase),rating 500,000 and the products advertised are 400,000 and advertised as 'the most effective available'. To give an idea how powerful pure capasaisin is, the recomendation for a liquid mix is ONE drop from the eyedropper per quart of water.. Should a person be unfortunate enough to get this dilution in there eyes, or on any other sensitive area would cause them to 'forget about anything but the resultant pain'!


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2245
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 am
 


Brenda wrote:
I couldn't find anything that claims you can't use it indoors, or that it vaporizes into gas (huh, does that make sense? ;-)) and thus will affect anybody within so many meters, even from behind glass with a working ventilationsystem in the other room.


I’ll assume the sociopath is finished with his nonsense for the time being. :roll:

I don’t in anyway support the source of this document except to say the first couple of pages are ripped off from a technical paper by the US government (that I couldn’t locate).

Frankly this is an easier read and if you’re into activism you’ll love it! :lol:

Just hit Open when the box pops up. It’ll generate a Word document you can read on screen or save if you want to use it.

http://lists.madimc.org/~infoshop/DOC/c ... sguide.doc


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 21411
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 am
 


Pepper spray is a liquid inside the canister, but once it's sprayed, it becomes aerosolized, just like say the old underarm deodorant. If you trust Wikipedia, it notes that 26 people sprayed with it since 1995 have died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

If like Stemmer, you think that everything on Wikipedia is BS, follow some of the links in the references section.

I bought pepper spray when it first came out in the US, say the late 80s. It was 10% (which I believe is outlawed now in Canada) and that shit is powerful. We were fooling around with it outside after work one day and I accidently got a whiff after we sprayed some and the results are not pleasant. My eyes puffed up, my nose and throat constricted and breathing was both painful and difficult. I don't have asthma, but I can see how it would kill someone who did have it.





PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:28 am
 


bootlegga wrote:
Pepper spray is a liquid inside the canister, but once it's sprayed, it becomes aerosolized, just like say the old underarm deodorant. If you trust Wikipedia, it notes that 26 people sprayed with it since 1995 have died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

If like Stemmer, you think that everything on Wikipedia is BS, follow some of the links in the references section.

I bought pepper spray when it first came out in the US, say the late 80s. It was 10% (which I believe is outlawed now in Canada) and that shit is powerful. We were fooling around with it outside after work one day and I accidently got a whiff after we sprayed some and the results are not pleasant. My eyes puffed up, my nose and throat constricted and breathing was both painful and difficult. I don't have asthma, but I can see how it would kill someone who did have it.


10%?
Mine is only 0.75%
It says to use it on anything but a bear is a criminal offence. 8O


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 21411
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 am
 


ziggy wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
Pepper spray is a liquid inside the canister, but once it's sprayed, it becomes aerosolized, just like say the old underarm deodorant. If you trust Wikipedia, it notes that 26 people sprayed with it since 1995 have died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

If like Stemmer, you think that everything on Wikipedia is BS, follow some of the links in the references section.

I bought pepper spray when it first came out in the US, say the late 80s. It was 10% (which I believe is outlawed now in Canada) and that shit is powerful. We were fooling around with it outside after work one day and I accidently got a whiff after we sprayed some and the results are not pleasant. My eyes puffed up, my nose and throat constricted and breathing was both painful and difficult. I don't have asthma, but I can see how it would kill someone who did have it.


10%?
Mine is only 0.75%
It says to use it on anything but a bear is a criminal offence. 8O


Like I said, I bought it long ago, before most people up here even about pepper spray.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2245
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:44 am
 


The point being, don't be downwind, and don't use indoors. I spoke to a colleague this morning about this, and he thinks the police are not allowed to use it indoors when it's likely to affect innocent bystanders anyway.

That would explain why it wasn't used at the airport.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 50938
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:54 am
 


Now that is an interesting point though... Can they use their firearms indoors?

(where's Eyebrock when you need him? ;-))


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2245
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:02 am
 


Brenda wrote:
Now that is an interesting point though... Can they use their firearms indoors?

(where's Eyebrock when you need him? ;-))


They can use their guns only in self defence or when deadly force is required. Again if bystanders are nearby, not a good idea.

The taser isn't considered lethal and is very short range. It also has two modes. One that fires the darts with the wires (15 metres I think), and the contact method where they have to press the end of the taser against the person they want to incapacitate.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
Profile
Posts: 5164
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 am
 


The 'pepper spray' that is issued to the military police squirts a jet and is not really a spray, I always though the RCMP was issued the same thing.





PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:16 am
 


Eisensapper wrote:
The 'pepper spray' that is issued to the military police squirts a jet and is not really a spray, I always though the RCMP was issued the same thing.


Unlike bear spray which is highly pressurized to vaporise in a mist so it's inhaled.Here's a study on it and the one graph shows there was less injuries to the folks who had bear spray then the one's who packed firearms as a deterrent.
8O

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/pepperspray/pepperspray.htm


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 50938
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:19 am
 


poquas wrote:
Brenda wrote:
Now that is an interesting point though... Can they use their firearms indoors?

(where's Eyebrock when you need him? ;-))


They can use their guns only in self defence or when deadly force is required. Again if bystanders are nearby, not a good idea.

The taser isn't considered lethal and is very short range. It also has two modes. One that fires the darts with the wires (15 metres I think), and the contact method where they have to press the end of the taser against the person they want to incapacitate.

I think after the recent incidents with tasers (Dziekanski was not the only one to die...) it might be a smart idea to consider them lethal. Or at least dangerous, and not for use against drug addicts or highly emotional people. Just like the pepperspray.

Using a taser is not a good idea either, using pepperspray indoors isn't... So whats left? The batton! do they ever use that thing?


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests



cron
 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.