bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:09 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
You mean the cell phone ban?

Some 7 states in the US have it on their books and I honestly believe it's a good idea.
I think it's a good idea as well. I'm astounded by the amount of people still driving and talking on their phones.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:37 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
I think it's a good idea as well. I'm astounded by the amount of people still driving and talking on their phones.
Me too, and the one's combing their hair, putting on makeup, text messaging and eating with both hands while driving.

Anyways I do agree with this. It's unfair to subject kids to smoke. Perhaps if I had not grown up surrounded by heavy smokers I would not have taken up the habit myself 27 years ago.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
ridenrain ridenrain:
You mean the cell phone ban?

Some 7 states in the US have it on their books and I honestly believe it's a good idea.

There's a difference between "taking/making a quick call" and "talking about the sun with the histeric sister". Now with the hand-free phones, you can talk all you want. But, I only take important call in the car.

That's the problem with laws: all in the same bucket. Now, if I had a wife and she was having her baby, I'm in infraction if I answer the phone while in the traffic. Nonsense.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Proculation Proculation:
There's a difference between "taking/making a quick call" and "talking about the sun with the histeric sister".

The only difference is the amount of time you open yourself up to an accident. Driving in Canada today is dangerous enough with all the irresponsible drivers.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:20 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Proculation Proculation:
There's a difference between "taking/making a quick call" and "talking about the sun with the histeric sister".

The only difference is the amount of time you open yourself up to an accident. Driving in Canada today is dangerous enough with all the irresponsible drivers.

Then, why don't we outlaw talking in a car ? It can lead to an accident.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Proculation Proculation:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Proculation Proculation:

Because 'unless you happen to be French', one doesn't have to take their 'eyes off the road or their hands off the wheel to have a conversation with a passenger'! :lol:

( Mind you, as concerns some of the passengers I have had to tolerate... they just don't ever shut the fuck up, and it's really hard to sleep!!!)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Proculation Proculation:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Proculation Proculation:

Perfect!
Then I can tell my kids who are fighting in the back: Shut up, its against the law! :twisted:

Using your cell while driving without a headset is one of the stupidest things you can do. Please, ban it. It is where I come from, and it made a difference, as far as I know. What is so hard about pulling over? Or get a headset?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Proculation Proculation:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Proculation Proculation:

It's not really the talking they're worried about. That's why they recommend hands free phones. The hands free is the key part here.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:48 pm

But, I drive a standard transmission car and I always have only one hand on the steering. What's the difference ?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 pm

Proculation Proculation:
But, I drive a standard transmission car and I always have only one hand on the steering. What's the difference ?
That's not as you are taught! :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:52 pm

Proculation Proculation:

How do you work turn signals with one hand on your steering wheel and one hand holding a phone to your ear? How do you work the horn, or the windshield wipers?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:53 pm

lily lily:
Proculation Proculation:

Always?

The difference would be that your other hand is still doing car-related functions... in other words, it's not doing anything that will distract you from driving.

Not to mention that even in city driving it takes about five seconds to shift and you are free to use that hand for driving again. I drive a standard as well and I know that shifting gears has no impact on my ability to drive safely.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:54 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Proculation Proculation:

How do you work turn signals with one hand on your steering wheel and one hand holding a phone to your ear? How do you work the horn, or the windshield wipers?

Like I said, you are not supposed to have a 1 hour conversation on the cell phone while driving. It's just stupid to make it a law !

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Proculation Proculation:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Proculation Proculation:

Like I said, you are not supposed to have a 1 hour conversation on the cell phone while driving. It's just stupid to make it a law !

Length of time makes no difference other than increasing your risk of an accident. Drinking and driving is also dangerous. Do you think it's stupid to make that illegal?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:06 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Length of time makes no difference other than increasing your risk of an accident. Drinking and driving is also dangerous. Do you think it's stupid to make that illegal?

We do a lot of things that increase the risk of accident. That's why I said earlier that they should ban talking in a car. The radio, the children, the coffee, etc.

As for drinking: you can turn off your cell anytime. You can't remove the effect of alcohol instantly.