canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:36 am

The whole column was so over-wrought with hyperbole that it was hard to take any of it seriously. Throw in the Jonas used an e-mail as a source (probably one of those wonderful "KEEP THIS ONE GOING OR DIE! sort of e-mails written by "Anonymous") it's probably total bullshit. Just because one guy out it the sticks, who's probably a nutjob with a history if they allegedly sent out a SWAT team to pop him, has his toys taken away from him is hardly the sign of "teh fascists are coming, teh fascists are coming!".

My opinion, and BTW a big hoorah! for all sensible and reasonable gun owners as opposed to the douchebag ones who make them all look like a bunch of crazies, is that in these sorts of situations (if this one even happened at all) I'd rather have the gun-owner handcuffed and led away as opposed to the RCMP showing up lackadaisical and ending up with another Mayerthorpe-style massacre. Which, cops having long memories and all, is probably why they showed up loaded for bear in the first place.

I seem to remember some older George Jonas columns as being somewhat sensible and even-keeled, but with this one I'm unfortunately going to put him on the ignore list as he seems to have gone into the goofball territory normally occupied by the likes of Mark Steyn. Protected free speech of course, and all that other stuff, but IMO this sort of yellow journalism bores me beyond belief now and I'd rather just forget it exists at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:34 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
I don't see people killing other people with meth or crack.

Are you freakin, joking? Even if you're talking about killing with intent, ever heard of hot-capping? It's a lot more prevalent than most people know. I'd wager if it was possible to do stats (and it's not) you'd find more people die from hot-capping than die from guns.

I know it was making the news in Prince George for awhile there. Street trolls were hot-capping guys they picked up, then robbing them.