Date: 2009-12-30 15:11:04
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:28 am

I'm so sick of phony awards.

The nobel peace prize has become the lefty of the year award.

The Oscar has become the what's politically correct this year award.

And this one is for the Canadian progressive activist, or has-been most likely to make it look like the Governor General actually matters.

Honestly though...I'm just pissed off, because Steve McIntyre didn't get one.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 am

Seems like they're letting anyone in these days. While I like Burton Cummings and worship Neil Young, they did what they did as a career and to make money. They haven't really done anything in the name of Canada or trying to promote the country or it's values. The music industry has it's own awards and accolades (i.e. Canadian Music Hall of Fame, Junos) as does most industries (well, maybe not a Hall of Fame), so throwing an Order of Canada at these people is kind of pointless. They should try and limit the Order to people who have been a kind of "ambassador" for Canada, not just people who have been successful who just happen to be Canadian. Mike Myers fits this role more than Ivan Reitman.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 am

Uhhh, if you think Neil Young has done "nothing to promote the country or it's [sic] values" then you need to do some research on Young's career. I can think of no artist that has done more to promote Canadian values through art.