CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28982
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:48 am
 


Title: 2 killed in collision with driver who stopped for duck
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: wildrosegirl
Date: 2010-06-28 20:44:58
Canadian


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 5316
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:48 am
 


Wow, yet another reason not to travel through Quebec.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 4805
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:55 am
 


Sad story.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 42160
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:27 am
 


I can think of one person who needs to be tossed under a bus.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
Profile
Posts: 12349
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:18 am
 


Apparently this young girl failed her drivers' license road exam 5 times. This is a tragic accident (I disagree that this is a case of criminal negligence) but it illustrates that drivers' licenses are just too easy to come by. The best improvement we could make on our roadways would be to license fewer drivers. A great many people simply haven't the skills to be behind the wheel.


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
Profile
Posts: 32460
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:09 am
 


How can a car stop faster than a motorcycle? I have a big bike but there's no way a car can beat it to a stop. I suppose there's more to it than that though.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 50931
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:20 am
 


I think it's a weird story... How can 2 motorcycles hit one car?

I think that the car was at a standstill, Regina, and they just didn't notice the difference in speed in time.

Now HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU STOP ON A HIGHWAY!! :x


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2398
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:42 am
 


Quote:
He said charges could be laid in the case but he was not specific, saying only that it's illegal to stop on the highway in Quebec.


It's not illegal to stop if it's an emergency. What if the wind had blown a large tree branch onto the road? The law requires you to ram it and keep going? I don't know if a duck crossing can be considered an emergency (I don't think a duck will go through the windshield like a deer can) is another story. However the real issue is you must maintain a safe distance from vehicles in front of you and stay aware as conditions may change. Either the people on the motorcycles were not maintaining a safe distance or were not paying attention to what was going on in front of them. They caused their own demise.


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
Profile
Posts: 32460
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:49 am
 


QBall wrote:
However the real issue is you must maintain a safe distance from vehicles in front of you and stay aware as conditions may change. Either the people on the motorcycles were not maintaining a safe distance or were not paying attention to what was going on in front of them. They caused their own demise.

Obviously it's tragic that two people were killed and another injured, but without more details of the circumstances I'd have to agree with that. The duck is somewhat irrelevant.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 29771
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 am
 


I was travelling from Montreal to Québec last week on the Trans-Canada Highway and a mother duck and about 6-7 ducklings were trying to cross it.

I must have missed the mother by about 2 feet. :(


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 7580
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:18 am
 


Guy_Fawkes wrote:
Wow, yet another reason not to travel through Quebec.



You kill me with your stupid posts like this one... there are lots killed by avoiding animals all over Canada... yet another jab at Québec by the resident twit.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 5316
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:23 am
 


kenmore wrote:
Guy_Fawkes wrote:
Wow, yet another reason not to travel through Quebec.



You kill me with your stupid posts like this one... there are lots killed by avoiding animals all over Canada... yet another jab at Québec by the resident twit.

Just like your comments on police, anglos, conservatives, minorities..... :lol:

I just find Quebec drivers are either one of two extremes either they are super defensive to the point where they can be dangerous, or they are extremely offensive driving speed demons who can be quite dangerous. I think this incident is a combination of the worst of both.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:13 am
 


The cop said it's illegal to stop on the hwy - what size does the animal you stop for need to be to make it legal? Probably the EU could give a ruling on that, establish as car/animal weight minimum ratio.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9261
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:15 am
 


Guess what guys. If you hit a stopped car, you're the one at fault. Following too close or not paying attention.
So inflexible a rule that if someone cuts in front of you and compression brakes (I had witnesses testify no brake lights came on, measurements of HIS skidmarks), you're at fault if you hit them.

If you live in Vancouver, this happens plenty on the Stanley Park Causeway. Not the crashes, we're all used to people stopping for the bloody ducks.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33492
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:20 am
 


herbie wrote:
Guess what guys. If you hit a stopped car, you're the one at fault. Following too close or not paying attention.
So inflexible a rule that if someone cuts in front of you and compression brakes (I had witnesses testify no brake lights came on, measurements of HIS skidmarks), you're at fault if you hit them.

If you live in Vancouver, this happens plenty on the Stanley Park Causeway. Not the crashes, we're all used to people stopping for the bloody ducks.


Or the touri stopping in the middle of the Sea to Sky to take pictures. You have to have a good reason to stop - if you just stop suddenly for no reason it's your fault. But compression braking is hardly stopping is it - just slowing down. Was this a truck with compression brakes?


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.