Category: Military
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2010-07-30 17:28:36
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:51 pm

This is usually a test by the Russians to see how long it takes one to respond. They do with us once in a while too.

It's more than just show particulary as Russia in intersted in gobbling up as much of the Arctic as possible.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:50 pm

Interesting how this happens just as harper is trying to sell us on new aircraft.. can you say fishy or maybe con job

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:54 pm

kenmore kenmore:
Interesting how this happens just as harper is trying to sell us on new aircraft.. can you say fishy or maybe con job

Yeah. Harper called up the Russian and said come buzz us. :roll:

That's one of the more retarded foilerisms on the threads these days...

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 pm

Seems that the idea that this story is being driven to get fighter jets come less from the Russians flying bombers close to our borders (or in them), and more due to the fact that this incident was reported by the government and the media to the public when it's a re-occurring event. I doubt the Russians intended what you implied, Kenmore, in repeating what they have been doing in the past.

I don't really have an opinion either way on this particular article, mind. The story that our pilots scrambled and got there quickly was good news, and I am glad to hear that they are readily able to act expediently.

Last edited by Khar on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 pm

Didnt they do this 6 months ago as well?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:28 pm

Wonder why the CTV is quoting Margolis, his military knowledge can be written on the back of a dime in foot high letters.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:31 pm

kenmore kenmore:

It just highlights once again that we don't need the F-35 for these kinds of missions which is what we actually need. The Eurofighter or even better the super-hornet can do the same job with a much easier burden on the tax-payer

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:41 pm

HyperionTheEvil HyperionTheEvil:
kenmore kenmore:

It just highlights once again that we don't need the F-35 for these kinds of missions which is what we actually need. The Eurofighter or even better the super-hornet can do the same job with a much easier burden on the tax-payer

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
kenmore kenmore:

Don't blame me if the governments agenda is to obvious, did the Cf-18's intercept these aricraft or not? If the did then it seems clear that they're doing their job. And qhile i do agree the Air force need new units, i don't think sticking the tax-payer with a 19 billion dollar tab for F-35's is reasonable condering this

We can do the dame job with different aircraft and do it cheaper.

Now instead of yipping along, come up with facts and figures to prove your case or ill take this as a your acknowledgment of the correctness my argument.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:04 pm

Why do we need aircraft to guard the north? It's not cold up there anymore. Why not just hire some guys to go up there? You could pay a lot of folks $100K per year before you'd have paid for one jet.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:10 pm

Don't blame me if the governments agenda is to obvious, did the Cf-18's intercept these aricraft or not? If the did then it seems clear that they're doing their job. And qhile i do agree the Air force need new units, i don't think sticking the tax-payer with a 19 billion dollar tab for F-35's is reasonable condering this

Now instead of yipping along, come up with facts and figures to prove your case or ill take this as a your acknowledgment of the correctness my argument.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Yes yes yes we know you're out of arguments, you can at least take comfort in the fact that you didn't have much of chance

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:47 pm

During the Vietnam war, piston engine aircraft were still performing CAS in the jet era. Just cuz they can doesn't mean they're going to be able to in the near future.
See any piston engine fighters in the US or Canadian militaries anymore? See any in any of the Western nations airforces?
That being said, I still think we need a twin engine fighter for Arctic patrols and scrambles like the one in the article. 65 fighters is also not enough to fill 3 complete squadrons.
On the facts and figures side the price tag is $9 billion, a little over twice what the Superhornet would cost. But with the bill comes associated weapons, infrastructure, initial spares, training simulators, contingency funds and project operating costs all included. I don't know if the Superhornet program would come with all that support although Boeing did say they would make our version completely in Canada.
Comparisons: F-35 stealth fighter. Superhornet isn't
F-35 top speed - 2065kph. Superhornet top speed - 1900kph
F-35 Combat Radius- 610nmi. Superhornet Combat Radius- 390nmi
F-35 design limit- 9g's. Superhornet design limit- 7.6 g's
F-35 guns- 1 x 25mm cannon internally mounted. Superhornet guns-nosemounted 1 x 20mm Vulcan gatling gun.
F-35 hardpoints-6 external points on wings plus 4 in the internal bays for an ordinance payload of 18,000 lbs
Superhornet hardpoints- 11 for a total payload of 17,750 lbs but that's with external fuel tanks as well. The F-35 requires no external fuel tanks.
F-35 thrust/weight ratio .80 with full tanks, .97 with 50% fuel. Thrust with afterburner 43,000 lbf
Superhornet thrust/weight ratio .93 with 22,000 lbf of thrust with afterburner for each engine.

I'm not coming out in favour of one or the other in this post, just giving you some facts and figures to mull over as you asked.

Last edited by PublicAnimalNo9 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
During the Vietnam war, piston engine aircraft were still performing CAS in the jet era. Just cuz they can doesn't mean they're going to be able to in the near future.
See any piston engine fighters in the US or Canadian militaries anymore? See any in any of the Western nations airforces?
That being said, I still think we need a twin engine fighter for Arctic patrols and scrambles like the one in the article. 65 fighters is also not enough to fill 3 complete squadrons.
On the facts and figures side the price tag is $9 billion, a little over twice what the Superhornet would cost. But with the bill comes associated weapons, infrastructure, initial spares, training simulators, contingency funds and project operating costs all included. I don't know if the Superhornet program would come with all that support although Boeing did say they would make our version completely in Canada.
Comparisons: F-35 stealth fighter. Superhornet isn't
F-35 top speed - 2065kph. Superhornet top speed - 1900kph
F-35 Combat Radius- 610nmi. Superhornet Combat Radius- 390nmi
F-35 design limit- 9g's. Superhornet design limit- 7.6 g's
F-35 guns- 1 x 25mm cannon internally mounted. Superhornet guns-nosemounted 1 x 20mm Vulcan gatling gun.
F-35 hardpoints-6 external points on wings plus 4 internal bays for an ordinance payload of 18,000 lbs
Superhornet hardpoints- 11 for a total payload of 17,750 lbs but that's with external fuel tanks as well. The F-35 requires no external fuel tanks.
F-35 thrust/weight ration .80 with full tanks, .97 with 50% fuel. Thrust with afterburner 43,000 lbf
Superhornet thrust/weight ratio .93 with 22,000 lbs of thrust with afterburner.
Basically, the F-35 will out accelerate the hell out of a Superhornet. And with fighter aircraft speed is life. Not just top speed but how quickly you can achieve it.
I'm not coming out in favour of one or the other in this post, just giving you some facts and figures to mull over as you asked.

Actually the price for the F-35 plan is 19 billion of the period of the program. and to answer your question. Is the super-hornet or the Eurofighter incapable of defending our airspace against the proposed waves of Russian bombers that will appear over the pole any day now from what some people like to think will happen?