Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:04 am

It's always good to show Ivan some love. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:06 am

Actually, when you factor in the total potential estimated value of Canadian JSF involvement, the price tag drops to between $9-10 billion including as I said, all ancillary costs. Does the Superhornet offer the same?
And I really dunno why yer getting all defensive mode on me about this. I simply presented some facts about each fighter. I didn't specify a preference for one over the other, although I did make an initial error in the thrust with afterburner. I edited it too late but the thrust the Superhornet produces in afterburner is 22,000 lbf PER engine.
However, to answer your question, one can only answer it in the now. It's 6 years before we actually take delivery. 6 years is a long time for technology to outstrip the Superhornet and/or the Eurofighter. Hell in 6 years the F-35 could be obsolete as far as we know.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:22 am

In the US Civil War there was an old fuck general (Ripley, I believe) who got in the way of the Union ordering Gatling guns and Spencer repeating rifles because he felt that muzzle-loading rifles did the trick just fine. In the battles where the Gatling was deployed a few squads of Union troops obliterated entire divisions of Confederate troops. Yet, desptie the obvious success of the Gatling, that old bastard would not order more of them and untold thousands of Union troops died because of this obdurate cocksucker.

Yes, the F-35 is expensive, but the thing that is never on the cost analysis is the price of not having the best weapons when you need them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:00 am

Gee they've been doing that daily for almost 60 years except for the short time they were too broke to afford the gas.
Thank God they drove them off before they could nuke Toronto!
Try a little harder MacKay. Maybe you can scare us with Nicaraguans landing on the beaches of PEI and there's no high school football team in Charlottetown to save our ass...... :-P

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:37 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
In the US Civil War there was an old fuck general (Ripley, I believe) who got in the way of the Union ordering Gatling guns and Spencer repeating rifles because he felt that muzzle-loading rifles did the trick just fine. In the battles where the Gatling was deployed a few squads of Union troops obliterated entire divisions of Confederate troops. Yet, desptie the obvious success of the Gatling, that old bastard would not order more of them and untold thousands of Union troops died because of this obdurate cocksucker.

Yes, the F-35 is expensive, but the thing that is never on the cost analysis is the price of not having the best weapons when you need them.

And as i have pointed out before, the US military has had the best weapons in the world for it's military and yet somehow mysteriously the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is still going on. Why haven't you won yet?

You have B-2's, B-1, B-52, M1's, F-22's, satellites, soon F-35's abut 11 Carrier strike groups, Bradleys, Apaches. You've been throwing money at the military (much of it borrowed) at your armed forces and yet they are unable to really come up with the victory that tell people they will deliver - A fast victory -.

If large piles of cash thrown at military programs = confidence of quick victory then just as straw poll how many Americans want to invade North Kora or Iran, how many want a full on war with China , Russia or both. Is their a clear majority of Americans who want this to happen? And if so why hasn't those wars and invasion taken place yet. Clearly the 'axis of evil' is still out there amongst others. why have you brought democracy to those countries to?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:07 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Actually, when you factor in the total potential estimated value of Canadian JSF involvement, the price tag drops to between $9-10 billion including as I said, all ancillary costs. Does the Superhornet offer the same?
And I really dunno why yer getting all defensive mode on me about this. I simply presented some facts about each fighter. I didn't specify a preference for one over the other, although I did make an initial error in the thrust with afterburner. I edited it too late but the thrust the Superhornet produces in afterburner is 22,000 lbf PER engine.
However, to answer your question, one can only answer it in the now. It's 6 years before we actually take delivery. 6 years is a long time for technology to outstrip the Superhornet and/or the Eurofighter. Hell in 6 years the F-35 could be obsolete as far as we know.

And im talking the lifetime of the program, when you take the real number 16 billion over the life of the program, and then add the compound interest from the debt that will not be paid of from that 16 billion over twenty years you get a massive number

16 billion $ for the program , we pay about .025 on our debt every year/ take 16 billion x .025 and you have a basic number of multiply by twenty years with the compound interest of that portion of the debt not paid (the original 16 billion) that Tax-payers will have to be on the hook for for this program is - far past 25 billion dollars

This is money we simply don't have, money that is better spent on a less expensive but just as effective program. Why take our country even deep into debt for a program thay maybe as you say obsolete in a few years anyways? There are other units which are far less expensive and yet will defend our airspace just well.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:40 am

This says it all:

0:
ruskies.jpg
ruskies.jpg [ 95.18 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]

Brought a smile to my face. Damn ruskies will never get it. Maybe next
time our fighters should fire a couple shots across their nose.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:20 pm

HyperionTheEvil HyperionTheEvil:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Don't blame me if the governments agenda is to obvious, did the Cf-18's intercept these aricraft or not? If the did then it seems clear that they're doing their job. And qhile i do agree the Air force need new units, i don't think sticking the tax-payer with a 19 billion dollar tab for F-35's is reasonable condering this

We can do the dame job with different aircraft and do it cheaper.

Now instead of yipping along, come up with facts and figures to prove your case or ill take this as a your acknowledgment of the correctness my argument.

Yes yes yes we know you're out of arguments, you can at least take comfort in the fact that you didn't have much of chance

It's not so much being out of arguments as being out of patience to explain it to the dense child in the corner.

You've made up your mind, and no further discussions will be entertained. So now it's simply shit chucking time at the kid having the repeated temper tantrum...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Oh you fish-heads have such a way with words. It's those golden rivets isn't it?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Tory propaganda big time... never happened!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:23 pm

It's been happening increasingly for the past three or four years ken. Ask your chaps at CFB Bagotville who are doing the QRA and scrambling to intercept to air threats heading towards Canadian airspace.

A few Quebecois moments in the Officers Mess with the guys intercepting Russian aircraft a couple of times a month might be interesting.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:04 pm

kenmore kenmore:
Tory propaganda big time... never happened!

Must be Norad propaganda as well then eh Kanmore?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:02 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

And as i have pointed out before, the US military has had the best weapons in the world for it's military and yet somehow mysteriously the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is still going on. Why haven't you won yet?

You have B-2's, B-1, B-52, M1's, F-22's, satellites, soon F-35's abut 11 Carrier strike groups, Bradleys, Apaches. You've been throwing money at the military (much of it borrowed) at your armed forces and yet they are unable to really come up with the victory that tell people they will deliver - A fast victory -.

If large piles of cash thrown at military programs = confidence of quick victory then just as straw poll how many Americans want to invade North Kora or Iran, how many want a full on war with China , Russia or both. Is their a clear majority of Americans who want this to happen? And if so why hasn't those wars and invasion taken place yet. Clearly the 'axis of evil' is still out there amongst others. why have you brought democracy to those countries to?

What is it with you people that don't understand the logic of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are not fighting a military. We are fighting miltia, civilians who pick up arms, dressed like civilians, fighting amungst civilian population. Its not as simple as locate a enemy soldier or tank, garrison, etc and bomb the shit out of it. It's more advanced than that. Being we are fighting a wolf dressed up as a sheep amung sheeps and we are not allowed to kill the sheep. You simply cannot use fighters, bombers or any advanced tech generally used for wars in Afghanistan.

However all the technological advancements of the U.S. sure as hell would be needed if Russia ever came knocking on there doors, or China. It's not about what situations you can use it for or what situations it won't be needed. It's about having them for the situations we would need them. You ask us before the war in Afghanistan if we needed attack helos, transport helos, more APC's, etc. Everybody would have said fuck no. However if we had all those before we entered Afghanistan, they sure as hell would have saved a lot of soldiers lives.

Actually a better example would be, what would have happened in WW1 or even WW2 if Canada had the same military today? WW1, Canada was the spearhead. WW2, we multi-tasked with the British, Australia and the United States all over Europe. As good as the U.S. military was in WW2, Canada was still comparable at that time. Tech wise and manpower wise. United States spearheaded WW2, however they were fighting Japan and fighting in Europe. Fighting two fronts devoted a lot of manpower away from another front. Needless to say, the liberation of europe would not have been as fast if Canada diddn't have the military power that it did. How many more Jews would have been tortured and killed for a mistake like that? or even how many more homes and civilians would have been killed with a extended timeline to that war?

A proper military is not only required for self-defense, it's infact required for the self-defense of others. I believe if you dig up news articles for the last couple years and events still popping up today. There are places in the world still very fucked up that may require intervention. The world is not a pefect place, the world is not in unity and giving each other hugs. As much as I hate to say it, a military is still required in this day and age. Even if it's unlikely we are going to enter another world war in our lifetime. Although there seems to be lots of excuses for it. There are still many conflicts in the world, people who need military aid. Expecially in this day and age with terrorism on a rise, targeting any country and targeting civilians.

Back to your comment however, a war with North Korea, China, Russia, Iran, etc. Would be a far quicker war than that in Afghanistan. Those wars would be more costly, in both expense and lives due to the technolgical advantages of all nations involved. However it would be simple, no wolves in sheep clothing. Just wolves in pure sight. Where the U.S. military has a clear view of whos a enemy and where they are. Where they can unleash the full tech capapablilty and where having the most advanced jets can infact come in every handy. It would be stricly a military vs military fight. Eventually one sides military will be destroyed. As no one side has infinate numbers. Where as in Afghanistan, its not a matter of destroying ones military. It's a matter of removing a deeply rooted organized militia group from a country. A group that cannot be identified from anybody else, only way to win against them is gather intel, win the hearts and minds of the people to give more intel and not join the ranks of this milita group and to keep fighting and killing every member that picks up a weapon. Unti'll the group is finally unrooted from the country. Definetly not as simple as finding the enemy with the different uniform and killing them.