Date: 2010-09-01 11:16:03
Canadian

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:30 am

Will the stupidity never end....

This is nothing but a freakin' joke. Let's make it look like our city is really doing something for us! They're saving us from those evil smokers. Wonderful. Now let's all pretend that vehicle, factory, refinery, and other industrial emmisions have absolutely no effect on our health, because that's what keeps all of us narcissistic hypocrites employed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:33 am

When I'm in a park, I'm not really smelling all those vehicle and factory emissions. But somebody smoking next to me makes me gag. We don't allow other drug use in parks, why should smoking be exempt?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:37 am

wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:

This is nothing but a freakin' joke. Let's make it look like our city is really doing something for us! They're saving us from those evil smokers. Wonderful. Now let's all pretend that vehicle, factory, refinery, and other industrial emmisions have absolutely no effect on our health, because that's what keeps all of us narcissistic hypocrites employed.

I think it's hilarious (not) that someone can't smoke within so many meters of an entrance to any building, but I can sit with my car idling right in front of those same entrances.
Or the fact that "legally" one can smoke closer to an operating gas pump than they can to a building entrance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:39 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:

I think it's hilarious (not) that someone can't smoke within so many meters of an entrance to any building, but I can sit with my car idling right in front of those same entrances.
Or the fact that "legally" one can smoke closer to an operating gas pump than they can to a building entrance.

Actually we have laws against idling too. Not that anybody obeys them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:47 am

andyt andyt:
We don't allow other drug use in parks, why should smoking be exempt?

Because drugs are illegal while cigarettes aren't and parks are everybody's not just the non-smokers. I can see the rational for banning smoking in an enclosed space due to the health hazard but outside in a park makes no sense. Is Vancouver doing so well that the city can devote the time to solving the non-problem of people smoking outside?

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am

andyt andyt:
When I'm in a park, I'm not really smelling all those vehicle and factory emissions.

Oh well then.. they surely must not be doing you a bit of harm. :|

How 'bout looking at the realistic, big picture now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:00 pm

andyt andyt:
When I'm in a park, I'm not really smelling all those vehicle and factory emissions.

Oh well then.. they surely must not be doing you a bit of harm. :|

How 'bout looking at the realistic, big picture now.

OK. How does allowing smoking in any way reduce the harm from other sources? Pretty hard to ban cars or factories, but smoking is easy. And, if you're next to somebody that's smoking, the concentration of harmful chemicals is much greater than car exhaust that's been diluted in the air - that's why you can smell the smoke.

But hey, I'm a cyclist who believes we can't sustain our current consumption patterns in the west anyway. So if you want to work towards banning cars and factories, I might just join you. As long as bicycle factories are exempt, and the trucks that deliver bikes to the stores.

You should move to Russia:
$1:
Russians urged to smoke, drink more

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/100901/health/lifestyle_russia_health_economy_offbeat

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:14 pm

$1:
OK. How does allowing smoking in any way reduce the harm from other sources? Pretty hard to ban cars or factories, but smoking is easy. And, if you're next to somebody that's smoking, the concentration of harmful chemicals is much greater than car exhaust that's been diluted in the air - that's why you can smell the smoke.

It doesn't but big brother is pushing the boundaries of freedom of choice when they prohibit things for no real benifit/reason.
I said it 5 years ago, soon we will only be able to smoke in designated bubbles decided by the government.
I'm onboard with the increased prices/smoke free buildings and facilities, but open outside public areas where the risk of second hand smoke exposure is already non existant is just redundant and unnessessary

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:15 pm

I actually agree with this, we should strongly encourage those who smoke to quit, my kids play T-ball, all league games are held at a public park and all of the parents who were smoking while watching the games disgusted me. Poison your kids if you want but please dont poison mine.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 pm

andyt andyt:
And, if you're next to somebody that's smoking, the concentration of harmful chemicals is much greater than car exhaust that's been diluted in the air - that's why you can smell the smoke.

Say what? So cigarette smoke isn't diluted in the open air but car exhaust is?
And btw, even though I lived about a half mile from the Ford foundry in Windsor, I still could smell it.
As I said to one woman that took issue with my smoking(back when I still smoked)"I'll quit smoking and polluting your air when you quit driving that poison belching, gas guzzling land yacht parked outside that you use to drag your fat ass 4 blocks to buy lottery tickets."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:17 pm

I don't want to sit next to somebody that's smoking. If they're far enough away that I can't smell it, let em go at it. Unfortunately people are not that considerate, hence the need for regulation. Not that it will be enforced or is all that enforceable anyway.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:25 pm

The reason why you dont always smell car exhaust is because Carbon Monoxide is a colourless-odourless gas and is not as easily transferred out of the body as it is transferred in, those who inhale high amounts require a barometric chamber in order to get the CO out of their body.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 pm

andyt andyt:
I don't want to sit next to somebody that's smoking. If they're far enough away that I can't smell it, let em go at it. Unfortunately people are not that considerate, hence the need for regulation. Not that it will be enforced or is all that enforceable anyway.

Yah but the same can be said for people that wear too much perfume, or don't shower regularily, do we ban them as well, too much perfume can cause an allergic reaction in some people.
A large open public park, someone smoking near you who won't move, simple solution would be for you to take 10 steps upwind and leave it at that (though admittedly you shouldn't have to)
Personaaly my only issue with smokers in public spaces is the butts all over the ground.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:28 pm

stokes stokes:
The reason why you dont always smell car exhaust is because Carbon Monoxide is a colourless-odourless gas and is not as easily transferred out of the body as it is transferred in, those who inhale high amounts require a barometric chamber in order to get the CO out of their body.

CO is not the only ingredient in car exhaust, nor the most harmful unless in a confined space. If you're argument were true, you wouldn't be able to smell car exhaust at all.